Triathlon and setting realistic goals

talltailless

Reaction score
ROP is still a new thing and few performance metrics are in the public domain but mental resilience and maturity has already been flagged up as an issue. Candidates (male and female) see themselves off early days because they can't cope with being shouted at and keeping their bed space tidy.

Never a truer word's been said. I'd kick myself if I wrapped mentally, not physically or through injury. Live and learn though. Definitely need to get personal admin squared away, and to stick to timings, sleep deprivation and being cold + hungry.

talltailless

Reaction score
I would say apply now, the application process won't be quick currently and most candidates will be held up at the medical stage due to PMU or TMU. I personally would hate waiting 2 years and finding out you're PMU/TMU and then you'd have to possibly appeal.

@Grimey Arches That's food for thought. How long did your application take from start to finish (or to wherever you are in the process at present)?

Last edited:

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@Grimey Arches That's food for thought. How long did your application take from start to finish (or to wherever you are in the process at present)?
Every application is different and dependant on how well prepared the candidate is, you should be able to find posts stating how long it can take. I believe it's normally 4-6 months but now with covid and increase of applications it maybe longer, what normally holds it up is the triage call and F2F medical.

If you've only had to visit the doctors/hospital for the usual stuff then I wouldn't panic so much but the JSP 950 has the current medical entry requirements and you can always have a browse and see if anything stands out.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
This is a cracking suggestion and one I will do myself, tried to get the other involved by letting me firemans carry her but it didn't take long till she started complaining and with covid it's a great replacement.

And if she ever reads this I'll be only be buying the 1 bag..
My suggestion relates to seeing what 25kg actually feels like hoisted on your shoulders. I would not recommend people go and train with one on a regular basis. Stick with the other half for the fireman's carry and drags etc. :D

Alan

talltailless

Reaction score
the JSP 950 has the current medical entry requirements
Found the document, thanks for the heads up.

I bought my son a pull up rack when he started the application process. Not anything fancy - a free standing one from Amazon. Anytime he came in, he'd do some pull ups. He was fine with them but liked having the rack so he could keep pushing his totals.
If you can get your hands on something like that and a set of resistance bands, you can do assisted pull ups until you can do them on your own.
Good luck with your training.
@Duality good shout. I've got a telescopic pullup bar in the living room doorway, picked it up from Decathlon. Doing 10 sets of 1-2 reps declines/jumping pull ups every morning, with the occasional one whenever I cross the doorway. We'll see if that helps...