Tricky Run

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Ok so i done a 1 miler today around the local park. Around 45 minutes before the run i had a chocolate bar and around 30 minutes before i had an apple and banana. I know chocolate isn't exactly recommended but it's full of energy and i was really hungry and didn't feel running on an empty stomach would be particularly beneficial to the run itself. While running i was running at a pretty slow pace and my legs were fine but my ankles and around the metatarsals were killing. So is the pain normal for somebody who has only ran a few times or is there a reason why i'm feeling pain? Also will the food i had before have any affect on the run?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, to finalise all your pains. Yes it's normal and won't go untill your body adjusts and it doesn't adjust in 5 runs, the first 5 runs your body will be thinking what the f00k is going on.

As for the food, nothing is bad in moderation. If your body ate healthily 100% of your week then it wouldn't be very beneficial as if you had a small cake for desert after tea. Ask any athlete and they break up their healthy food such as 4 healthy meals a day and 1 'not so' healthy meal or some people have a whole day of 'not so' healthy food. The fact is don't stop eating chocolate because you're running. I certainly don't but I have an amazingly high metabolic rate.

Overall: Aching, tiredness, feeling sick, burning sensations(within reason).. they're 100% normal. It took me almost 2 months to stop feeling sick and about 2 or 3 weeks to stop 'beginners aching'. Use Deep Heat or Ralgex before you run, it will heat the areas that hurt or ache, it will sting, it stings everyone but it keeps your muscles warm and makes it comfortable.

Finally. How much do you weigh?

Leedham

Reaction score
like ash said moderate amounts of sugary foods aren't bad, and bannana 30 min b4 is ideal mate! what i would say is if your goona have a bitta chocy have it after not before. I know there full of energy but its better to have it after rather than before.

what i did when i started trainin was make my warm up longer than my main exercise/run and make sure to do a 'cool down' and stretch! I never had problems with aches or pains whilst running or after running. Good running shoes wont hurt if you havnt already got them aswell...

good luck with the rest of the training fella

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses fellas really helped. As for how much i weigh i weigh just over 8 stone very small guy and i also have an amazingly high metabolism!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well in that case the pains aren't weight related, if you said 15 stone then I could understand why it hurts =P I forgot to mention that, as Leedham said a good solid warm up always stops 90% on injuries

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
as said, running shoes are essential, it doesnt hurt to go to a running shop and have them analyse your gait, just to make sure your technique is okay and that you dont need any corrective footwear, if you do need corrective footwear they will advise accordingly.