Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Trident Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by Gone_for_a, Jan 23, 2015.

1. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

The general point I was trying to make is that you don't tend to invade countries that have nukes. To extend it down, Japan wouldn't have invaded China if China had nukes.

Fact is, no country that has weapons of mass destruction has ever been invaded. I don't think one has even been threatened.

2. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

True, but nuclear weapons have only come to a few countries. If every country had them, do you think war would be near impossible?

3. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

If the countries developed them themselves then yes. The two points there is that the country is stable enough for long enough to develop them. Secondly, if they are smart enough to develop them then they are probably smart enough never to fire them. I wouldn't ever advocate handing them over to countries without them though nope.

On the general trident issue, it has been discussed before in the 80's and although a comedy things on this program later turned out to be based on pretty accurate when it was revealed that the stories were based on leaks from the real cabinet at the time. It's well worth having a listen to the points at the time. Especially the points about nuclear deterrents being a bluff.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. Paddy123

Paddy123 New Member

The argument for nuclear weapons as a deterrent reminds me of a Blackadder clip, explaining how two sides can start a war despite mutually assured destruction. Man is a wolf to man, history teaches us that appalling death and horror are not obstacles to leaders starting wars. Everyone holding guns to each other's heads isn't a step towards peace.

5. BrigRat

Those clips were brilliant:D

Well that could be the case, but arguably Nazi Germany was technologically the smartest power of the war (except the allies beat them to the weapon in question - that is lucky I guess) but still didn't have the brains to tell Hitler that invading Russia was a plonker move, despite most of the generals knowing it. So I'd say perhaps democratic, secure states get the thumbs up. Pakistan worries me a bit, they've got a few extremists in their country.

I'll accept that for now, having a nuclear deterrent might be wise.

When the martians come, maybe nukes will stop them dead:D

6. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

The whole Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister is well worth a watch. At first you think it's a comedy. Then as you get older and sometimes have the unfortunate experience of crossing swords with Civil Servants - you start to realise it's actually a documentary. It was made 30 years ago, however it is still very relevant to the issues of today - scarily relevant.

The trident debate is a good one that they focused on.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. BrigRat

How long did it take you to get this?

You know, it'll be a long wait for me;)

8. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Brutal audience these days

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  9. fattyboombatty

fattyboombatty Member

After reading though this thread the only sensible course of action seems to be not to renew trident but just tell everyone we did!

• Like Like x 2
  10. James.H

James.H Member

Looking at this question in the reality of the upcoming elections, Cameron and Miliband have both stated they are in favour of renewing the Trident programme however I believe only Cameron has agreed to maintain the current programme (4 x Subs) whereas “Labour remains committed to a minimum, credible, independent nuclear capability through a continuous at-sea deterrent.” (taken from their manifesto. The capacity in which the Trident programme is renewed is not specified and could possible entertain the idea of reducing the fleet to 3 subs however this could mean that there is not always an at sea presence. In reality this would make sense as figures show this would reduce the over all costing from the MOD projected £23.4 Billion by approx. £4bn. Although yes we may not have a constant at sea presence, as discussed here, who has actually got the capability to use Nuclear weapons? The main threat people mention would be NK who have 10 warheads (according the the International Campaing against nuclear weapons) , none of which show the capacity to actually be combat ready. Second to that would be Russia who are clearly not going to use them because the backlash from the US would destroy them. next up would be the Gulf states and considering there are not any currently known warheads in the middle east (and the recent accord with Iran) it seems highly illogical to maintain such a high stockpile of Nuclear Warheads (the UK having approx 250)

11. Pl4yer_1ne

Pl4yer_1ne New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The chance of all out nuclear war seems pretty unlikely, due to mutual nuclear destruction. Each and every country knows that one nuke launched means all out war, with little no chance of survival. So either each country with nukes keeps on renewing there programs to keep mutual destruction, or all countries disarm all nukes (Which is very unlikely).