Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

troop structure

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by mike webb, May 7, 2009.

1. mike webb

mike webb New Member

right lads!

heres a question to test the knowledge!

troop structure? in a troop of 30 men, what is the structure and what weapons is each troop issued with and in what numbers.. i know the weapons the RM use but how many of each weapon in each troop? i cant really find much.. i know the principle building block of a troop is a 4 man team, but i want to find out the tiny details how would a troop be organised precisely?

mike

2. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Mr. Webb,

Here's my attempt, off the top of my head so it will probably be wrong, but an attempt none the less!

A troop of 30 Marines is commanded by a troop commander, a 2nd lieutenant. Helping the troop commander is the troop sergeant.

Now each troop is split into 3 sections.

Each section is commanded by a corporal with a lance corporal helping. The rest of the men are usually GD Marines.

I think within each troop you've got one Marine operating the comms (read up on this, the bowman and what it's to be replaced with). One Marine on the LSW (light support weapon), being replaced by the SAW (squad automatic weapon) hopefully, and the rest on SA80 A2's.

So,

Troop = 30 men.
    Troop Commander - 2nd Lieutenant
    2nd in command - sergeant

Section = approx 9 men.
    Section commander - corporal
    2nd in command - lance corporal
    1 x LSW
    1 x comms

Again, I'm not sure on numbers, and the ranks of the troop 2ic and section commanders can vary. Also, there are other weapons used like the under slung grenade launcher, not sure who gets what.

Also, you have different kinds of troops, like AT (anti-tank), HMG (heavy machine gun), CC (close combat), FS (fire support). All of these troops use very different weapons like the MILAN, .50, GPMG (7x62), mortars (51mm I think).

Mike, brush up on Commando 21.

Hopefully RMRO will give us a more definitive answer.

3. Distant.RM.Cooper

Distant.RM.Cooper New Member

4. mike webb

mike webb New Member

i know about commando 21... the main thrust of my question was realy aimed at... your in the field with just your troop.. what men and what equipment have you got around you?

its a little more difficult to find a definitive answer...

mike

5. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Haha yea sorry.

But, what kind of troop? I'm assuming a close combat troop?

Anyway, I think I answered it within reason, but I'm not sure. You should have stuck this in the POC section so it would catch RMRO's eye faster.

6. mike webb

mike webb New Member

good idea.. imma post it over!

mike

7. krab

krab New Member

Hey

Now I guess the RM like to do things differently to the Army but I can?t imagine its massively different.

I rough outline of the formation of a British army platoon is provided here:

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0029.html

Its out of date as the rifle grenades have been replaced with UGL (1 per fire team i believe). Also the LSW has been replaced by the minimi (the SAW is what the yanks have by the way) as the fire team level LMG, but it is still used (again i think its 1 per fire team) in a sort of "designated marksman" role. The term designated marksman isn't quite right as its what the yanks use to describe those in infantry platoons with higher powered "sniper-like" weapons but they don't have the camo and ghillie suits like snipers, but I?m afraid I don't know the correct British Military parlance.

Any way, I?d be interested if somebody could find an official-ish source for how RM platoons are structured.

8. Oceans

Oceans New Member

The SAW or the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) is the Minimi but just named differently to fit in with the rest of the yank weapons.

It would be pretty good to find out about how the troops are structured, I would assume that it varies depending on the theatre and type of operation the troop was undergoing and previous experience of similar operations but there is probably a standard setup that could enlighten our curious side.

9. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

A good post Sotiris, cheers.

Couple of points:
    I believe a troop commander can also be a Lt - depends on whether they've had graduate entry or not...

Bowman is to be replaced? Can't find this anywhere! In fact wikipedia (the source of all knowledge) claims that it'll be in service until ~2026!

Did you mean what Bowman replaced? (Clansman) Rather than what it is to be replaced by?

MILAN was phased out for Javelin, no?

10. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Haha damn you Ukkpa!

Although, I was just generalising with the ranks to try and simplify, same goes for the section commanders and troop sergeant.

I am very sure I've read the Bowman was being phased out, can't remember where or when...so I probably dreamed it, in which case I'm wrong.

Yes, the Javelin...I don't know why I was thinking MILAN, sorry got mixed up with the Greek Army :albert:. Just an addy, they also use the NLAW. Again, I'm not sure who gets what and how many each one section/troop gets.

11. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

Don't worry. I mixed up Javelin and Viking on my Sift Interview.

ACLO: "What can you tell me about Viking?"
    Me: "It's an anti-tank fire-and-forget missile system used by the Royal Marines since 2006"
    ACLO: Pause. Strange look. "Uh, no."

12. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

.....:amazed: hahahaha! Man...that is funny! Although...It would scare the *text deleted**text deleted* out of Terry, seing a Viking flying through the air towards them.

Maybe you've got something there.

13. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

Just need a HUUUUGE catapult system now...

14. Hoppy99

Hoppy99 Royal Marines Commando Officer

Bowman is being phased out for BCIP 5, which 40 Commando are now using on Taurus 09, and which will be introduced to 42 and 45 after their well earned leave!

:noworry:

15. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Phew, thanks Hoppy.

16. momarine

momarine New Member

Bowman didn't last long then did it? I'm sure I was reading about how new and great it was only about a year or two ago. Then that it was a bit rubbish - so are they changing it because of the problems they have had with it?

17. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

BCIP is a Bowman upgrade, not a new system. I think it stands for Bowman Capability In Phase but I may have made that up.

42 and 45 Cdo have been using BCIP-4F whilst on Herrick 9.

18. Exzes

Exzes Active Member

The reason you will find this hard to get an answer, is because it varies dependant on the role defined to the specific troops needs. Whether they be re-con, patrol, close combat, etc.