Trouble running properly

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not so much as an injury, as it is technique. I don't expect any answers, but hopefully some advice. This is also hard to explain, but here we go.

I find when I run, instead of pushing in a forward motion, I run almost side to side like a hobble, which throws my momentum wayyy off. I always thought I did, and finally my brother rode a bike behind me to watch my form and confirmed I was doing that, and its not good technique at all. I thought maybe it was a hearing problem, causing bad balance, since I have a bit of hearing loss in my left ear. I saw an Audiologist who gave me the sound tests. He says although my right ear is better then the left, both ears are not perfect, but are considered within normal range. So he doubt thats it. Next I found out I over pronate on my left foot....which MIGHT account for bad form. I am thinking of getting orthodics but, thats $300. Also checked for leg length differences, left leg is larger, but by only 3mm which is entirely normal.

My brother says it's just bad form, and do your best at running straight, but I've been trying with no luck. Also, no only is it killing my form, but if I try to increase my stride, I start feeling pain in the back of my neck, and lower back, and have to slow back down. ANYONE have any ideas ??. Doctors haven't been able to tell me anything !!.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
As for the neck pain it could be because your not relaxing your shoulders and instead tensing them up (hard to explain :? like your holding a shrug) which can give you neck pain-ive heard its a common thing amongst runners.

As for the form I cant really think of anything that could cause it apart from bad posture.When I run I try to think 'tall' and try and run more upright otherwise I find i tend to lean over forwards that used to give me lower back pain.