Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Trump: US killed Soleimani to 'stop a war' with Iran

Discussion in 'General Military & Topical News' started by News, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    What do you mean?

I was going to reply but it was late and I was watching tele haha!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If ever there was evidence of Bombers' Remorse it's in this tweet. -banghead-
    My theory is that Mr Trump's level of flapping is directly proportional to the amount of capital letters he deploys in his tweets.

Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 09.37.57.png

Strategically, it might make sense for the anti-USA elements in the Middle East not to retaliate. Why bother when they merely have to cultivate the domestic and international fear generated by Donald J. Trump himself?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    It’s quite surreal, isn’t it. A world leader, essentially... peacocking... on twitter...-banghead-

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm convinced that the intention of his tweets is not to communicate US foreign policy internationally; it's to reassure his domestic election base. Nothing else matters.

Mr Trump's administration is not proactive. It is always reactionary and always on the back foot. The noise he creates is merely a diversion from the chaotic reality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  5. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    1532C219-164D-4CC1-A9B2-74EC45BCC73F.jpeg

:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. News

News RSS Feed

The body of Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian general assassinated by the US, has been brought back to Iran.

Continue reading...

7. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

Opera Snapshot_2020-01-05_140827_twitter.com.png

And there she blows, Iran declaring itself part of Asia for the first time that I have seen, no longer the middle east. It's moving East and into the arms of China.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm afraid hes used that term in his tweets previously, as early as 28 April 2019.

9. rkec

It's a new one one me and stands out a mile. Keep the US out of Asia has quite a ring to it when trying to leverage China.

By the way, you know you can do other stuff on the internet apart from searching for tweets of Iranian Ministers?

• Like Like x 1
  10. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm sure there are, but I figure its one of the more interesting ways to be put on various watchlists

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It makes sense to me.
    The descriptive ‘West Asia’ might not yet have the full support of regional agreement but it’s an improvement on ‘Middle East’ which only makes sense in the context of its distance from the UK and USA colonial control bases of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

12. rkec

I think they are learning, after all if Israel is in Europe then hell why not. Israel being in Europe in like being able to choose your own gender.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Geopolitics, eh?
    Australia is now a regular participant nation in the Eurovision Song Contest. :)
    No gender slurs intentional.

eurovision.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. News

News RSS Feed

US troops, bases and warships in the Middle East are now potential targets Lebanese Hezbollah says.

Continue reading...

15. rkec

Well Forest fires during January in Europe has been a concern of mine for a while now. Didn't have that when I was a kid. Climate change might be real after all.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Not forgetting tectonic plate continental drift. :)
    Where's Greta Thunberg when she's needed?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. rkec

BBC reporting that Iraq has formally asked foreign troops to leave Iraq. If Iraqis forces stop providing protection for Allied troops and bases, then either the US re-invade with 300k plus troops or they pull out completely. No half measures that I can see.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Aside from a glib, non-committal comment the deafening silence from the UK government is interesting. I'm guessing that the UK is currently playing 'catch up' to establish a formal line on recent events.

Credible analysts on BBC World Service Radio have commented that the assassination of Soleimani is unlikely to have been a sole USA enterprise. The USA might have unilaterally executed the action but the intelligence gathering which made it possible is almost always a collaborative exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rkec

I think there was another airstrike on Saturday morning that killed more generals. The US originally denied it was them, doesn't leave many others to blame but that one seems to have gone quiet.

20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A significant issue that we in the West struggle with is the reputation Soleimani had in the region. He wasn't universally celebrated but his standing should not be underestimated.

One analyst has described Soleimani as being regarded by many as a 'national treasure' in the same way as Sir David Attenborough is regarded by some here in the UK. Still trying to process that notion. :confused:

• Like Like x 1