Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Trump: US killed Soleimani to 'stop a war' with Iran

Discussion in 'General Military & Topical News' started by News, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

SOME BACKGROUND REGARDING RELATIONS WITH IRAN.

• Like Like x 3
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

• Like Like x 1
  3. rkec

It's interesting to see the number of barrels sold by Iran has plummeted. I know there is a global market for oil, but if I was being excluded from that market, I wouldn't listen to it.

Question is, why doesn't sell oil cheaper than the global market to make it more attractive? and why isn't China keen to buy it at cheaper rates than the global market?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I suspect many will think it's a face-saving conspiracy.

Equally in a war-weary age, many would possibly believe the truth is that war is a failure of governance and in the Middle East at least, no-one seems to be a true victor nor anyone safer as a result of it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. News

News RSS Feed

President Trump gives a statement at the White House after Iran fired missiles at US troops in Iraq.

Continue reading...

6. News

News RSS Feed

BBC Middle East and North America experts analyse the latest escalation in US-Iran tensions.

Continue reading...

7. News

News RSS Feed

Across Canada, communities are grieving the 63 Canadians killed in the Ukraine Flight PS752 crash.

Continue reading...

8. News

News RSS Feed

Hostilities between Iran and the US have big consequences for many other countries.

Continue reading...

9. rkec

Looks like things have taken a twist with credible theories that the Ukrainian Aircraft was shot down after leaving Tehran.

I think they have the Russian S200 down there. That's the same one the Syrian's used to accidentally shoot down one of the Russian planes over Syria a couple of years ago.

Maybe it has issues deciding who is friend and who is foe.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  10. News

News RSS Feed

Vice-President Mike Pence says he thinks Americans are "safer today". Here's what people in Washington DC think.

Continue reading...

11. rkec

Iran still claiming it wasn't shot down. I'm not sure that they are going to be able to cover this up if it was. One thing to shoot it down by accident, but to be still claiming you didn't fire on it 4 days after it happened, will be embarrassing if it is true.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

After the USA mistakenly shot down Iran Air flight 655 (killing 290 civilians, including 66 children) in 1988 it took about eight years before a very mediocre settlement was agreed.

In 1996, the governments of the United States and Iran reached a settlement at the International Court of Justice which included the statement "...the United States recognised the aerial incident of 3 July 1988 as a terrible human tragedy and expressed deep regret over the loss of lives caused by the incident..." As part of the settlement, even though the U.S. government did not admit legal liability or formally apologise to Iran, it still agreed to pay US$61.8 million on an ex gratia basis in compensation to the families of the Iranian victims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

What baffles me is the apparent lack of risk assessment judgment on the part of Ukraine International Airlines. :confused:

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  13. rkec

The only thing I can think of is that they didn't know anything was going on that night, or just overlooked it all.

I'm not into going all conspiracy theory, or non conspiracy theory even, but I think the jury is still out on it being shot down. My own thoughts are that it is one hell of a coincidence if it wasn't brought down by a missile.

One the other hand, pics of the engines do appear to show some corrosion and damage to the engine fan blades (according to experts).

I think we'll know fully withing a week or so. But a number of unsourced quotes saying that Iran has barred Boeing, Canada and Ukraine from investigating on the ground. This is something they deny.

I remember the bringing down of MH17 over Ukraine, western media said they were prevented from getting to the crash scene. Something that wasn't true then.

It's a very odd one. It's just all very bizarre.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  14. News

News RSS Feed

Ukrainian Flight PS752 crashed near Tehran as tensions have been escalating between the US and Iran.

Continue reading...

15. News

News RSS Feed

Western powers believe it could have been a missile, but Iran denies it.

Continue reading...

16. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Thoughts are that it was well executed.

The guy was responsible for the arming and training of terrorists, from Iraq and Syria to Afghanistan.

• Like Like x 2
  17. News

News RSS Feed

Iran admits it "unintentionally" shot down the Ukrainian passenger plane in Iran on Wednesday.

Continue reading...

18. News

News RSS Feed

The effect of the US-Iran flare-up is rippling across America's allies and enemies in the region.

Continue reading...

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Looks like Iran admits shooting down the Ukranian aircraft in error.

A bit like Iraq hit a US warship with a missile, in error and the US, in turn, shot down an Iranian airliner, in error.

Trouble is, when politicians play brinkmanship from the safety of social media at home, innocent people still get killed.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If an individual in the UK 'accidentally' causes the death of just one person he or she is rightly held to account for any negligence or recklessness and might possibly serve a custodial sentence of up to fourteen years. The life of the person judged to be negligent is effectively destroyed as a consequence of their actions.

When a nation state negligently kills dozens, as have both the USA and Iran in airliner incidents, we collectively shrug. :confused:
    Which is why I reject lectures about morality from our own and any other government.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1