Turning 31 soon

primezero89

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I turn 31 very soon and to be honest it’s now or never.

To join the Royal Marines and earn that green lid would be an awesome accomplishment.

I’m fairly fit and can pretty much hit the minimum standards for 1.5miler, push-ups, sit-ups etc. So these will hopefully improve with training.

I was wondering is it worth starting the application process now or waiting until I know I can score well on the physical tests?

Any advice would be welcome.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Have a look at the new VPJFT -

I would recommend giving that a go and see how you do with it. If you’re already almost hitting targets I would imagine you’re not to far off.

My opinion ( and it is just my opinion ) is get the application in ASAP. It’ll take some time to get through initial application stages anyway.

I’m also somewhat older, so I understand the urgency.
Main thing is make sure you are training adequately, but most important is to make sure you keep stretching! I’ve just come off a week and a half break after pulling my lower back from too much training and not enough rest. We live and we learn.

All the best brother!

seriz89

Reaction score
I’m also 31, got my start date for later this year, if you’ve set your mind to it then just go for it, it’s taken me since last October to get this far. Best of luck to you!

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
Also 31 here and going for the RMR for similar reasons. Now or never.

I'd say if you are fairly fit and have run through the VPJFT+ with decent results, go for it ASAP.

I started my application late March and currently TMU until GP provides some feedback to Capita. Nothing major so don't expect much problems, but it's certainly slowing it down.

As @Johnwayne said above, make sure you rest and stretch out plenty. I like to do the VPJFT+ warmup often. Surprising how much it eases you up.

Best of luck fella and keep us posted.

primezero89

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

Application has been submitted!

Judging by the time the process could take (months rather than weeks) I have plenty of time to improve fitness levels.

@Johnwayne that video will definitely come in handy to learn the tempo of the movements.

Must remember to keep stretching as us old buggers seize up easily ;)

Thanks again.

seriz89

Reaction score
Recommend getting used to stretching for at least a good 20-30 minutes after a hard session also if you can muster the patience for it, I used to be a stretch for 5 mins only kinda guy (I’m talking holding each stretch for about 15-30 seconds) but I do find that dedicating at least a good minute to two minutes holding each stretch makes a big improvement in recovery times. Loads of follow along stretching routines on YouTube

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

Application has been submitted!

Judging by the time the process could take (months rather than weeks) I have plenty of time to improve fitness levels.

@Johnwayne that video will definitely come in handy to learn the tempo of the movements.

Must remember to keep stretching as us old buggers seize up easily ;)

Thanks again.
Have a look at Tom Merrick on YouTube, I've seen big improvements in flexibility using his workouts. Also got a lot of test videos in order to identify any points of weakness that could be causing issues!

Sniper11!

Reaction score
Welcome @primezero89!

I'm also 31, there seems to be a fair few older lads going for it, reassuring to see.

Youve got heaps of time to get fitter, I applied in Jan and I'm only just at the face to face medical and VPJFT+. Just make sure you're consistent with your training and build up gradually. No need to run 100 miles a week or do anything with weight on your back. Keep it real simple and specific. loads of bodyweight and sprints and some long steady runs and you'll be cooking on gas. Oh and the aforementioned stretching!! Helps big time.

Figgers

Reaction score
Lads, to perhaps “speed up” the medical process I would gather all doctors notes from your GP and maybe a letter written by your GP advising such an issue (for example it was my ankle for me and they wrote a letter advising there was no sign of injury) isn’t an issue any more.

This is what I did and I passed my medical first time. It’s worth gathering even they it may cost you a little bit. I think it was £40 for the doc to write the letter for me but money well spent.

I hope all goes well with your applications.