Two problems: Feet and Push Ups

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Firstly I'm going for POC and I've read that I'll have to take good care of my feet and to tape them up. I just don't get what taping them up means?

Secondly... I'm sh*t at push ups! I can do loads of sit ups and 12 pull ups but I cant push out more than 30 push ups! WHY??! Is anyone else having this problem and have you got any possible causes why??

Thanks, by the way this site is great!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mine is similiar i can do LOOOADS of sit ups but my pullups and pushups are near enough 0 its annoying as hell

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im in the same boat mate. Im a bigger guy too, muscle wise, so I think thats my downfall. I use to do a 150 pushups a night when I was 19, but I was 40 pounds lighter. Still if you look at you, you'd think I could do at least 50. Instead I struggle with 25.

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Pain in the arse isn't it?! Do you think they realise this at Lympstone or expect you to do the 60 regardless??

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
60 regardless :) they can afford to be picky :) they also want the best

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just keep at it and it will soon come! soon the penny will just drop

im constantly doing pushups like when the adds come on the tv i try and pop as many as i can before the program starts again!! same with situps!!

Mr T

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps at all, but here goes.

I'm not sure how you gents are doing your push ups but the best way I have found is do about 25-27 (depending on your ability) then rest for about 7-10secs in the push up position, then go for another ~15 odd, and then about 7....then keep decreasing as you feel neccessary.

Instead of trying to bang out 50-60 straight out. I did this on my PRMC and managed to get 63 press ups in the 2mins.

The guy next to me had 20 deducted because of his form.

Cheers

Skanza

Reaction score
Mr T said:
I don't know if this helps at all, but here goes.

I'm not sure how you gents are doing your push ups but the best way I have found is do about 25-27 (depending on your ability) then rest for about 7-10secs in the push up position, then go for another ~15 odd, and then about 7....then keep decreasing as you feel neccessary.

Instead of trying to bang out 50-60 straight out. I did this on my PRMC and managed to get 63 press ups in the 2mins.

The guy next to me had 20 deducted because of his form.

Cheers
Sounds good.

But to be clear, you did 25 press ups in your PRMC, then rested for 7 seconds then continued?

Mr T

Reaction score
I did about 27 if I recall correctly. Then stayed at the top of the press up position for about 7-10secs, then continued.

2mins is longer than you think when you got the adrenaline pumping on the PRMC, take your time so you dont burn out

So yeah pretty much what you said

Cheers

Zefan

Reaction score
I was under the impression hat if you pause for any considerable length of time they stop you!

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you can pause as many time as you wanted on my prmc, i found that the kinda thing mister t was doing helped me also and once u have finished a set get on *text deleted* knees and push out 15 extra until it burns. everynight i make sure i get lactic acid build up and aching feeling in my chest and now i can do about 65 so i must be doing somthign right?

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
30 press ups ent bad mate. Just keep on going. I dont know when your POC is but Im sure by the time it comes youll be doing about 40. And of course when your down Lympstone youll probs squeeze out 10 more aswell.

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Cheers Rob, I haven't got a date for my POC yet but they said it will be in March. So I've got about 4 or 5 weeks to get them perfected

fonsy85

Reaction score
Those were some good tips, but..
if u do 25 then holding it for a few sec. and then do 15 and so on, that fatigues your muscles, and not really good to build up in power more to build up volume of the muscle, anyway it's a good thing to do at the end of any training.
Medicaly a better thing is: when for example your max. is 25 then start with a set of about 18-20, break for a minute and then do 23-25, break for minute and then do 15-20 and not more. and then try to increasy the amount of pushups by 3-6 on each set every 5th or 6th time or every week.
Anyway the most important thing to keep in mind is that u do the exercises correctly 100 %!
cheers

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Never thought of doing that mate, that's a great idea. I'll have a go n let you no how well it went