Typical RMR weekend

sudetenland

Reaction score
Could somebody tell me what a typical RMR weekend is like? what does it involve?

Nahoon

Reaction score
Friday night

3 to 8 mile yomp finishing about 2-4am. Get your head down for an hour or so - sentry duty for about 30 mins in the middle of your "sleep"

Sat

Get up about 5am - shave, scran and clean. Inspection, lectures all day, some kind of phy, weapons handling, more lectures, night nav brief, prepare for night nav, night nav - head down about 3 - sentry duty

Sun

As per Sat morning, speed march (killer!), weapons and lectures - clean weapons, paperwork and debrief - shower then collapse in minibus and pass out when you get home.

Overall, weekends are long and hard - Saturday is the longest day in the world - you have to survive on very little sleep and stay awake in all lectures. The phy isn't too bad it's the lack of sleep that gets most people. Of course some weekends are different but this is the general format for phase 1 - can't comment on phase 2 as I'm just about to start it.

It's great fun though and worth every bit of effort!

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey nahoon, do you have a job during the week? as I'm 17, looking to join as an officer and currently doing A levels i wont be going in for a couple of years. I was thinking about joining the reserves in the mean time, do you think it would be possible to join the reserves whilst still undergoing A levels?

Zakh0

Reaction score
Hey nahoon, do you have a job during the week? as I'm 17, looking to join as an officer and currently doing A levels i wont be going in for a couple of years. I was thinking about joining the reserves in the mean time, do you think it would be possible to join the reserves whilst still undergoing A levels?

Hey mate, no i'm not nahoon :P but i've spoken to someone from RMR London, I'm in exactly the same situation as you, just finished my GCSE's, yes it's perfectly possible. And has been done on many occasions.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ha that's alright, thanks mate. I'll get more information on it when i go down to my afco.

Nahoon

Reaction score
Yeah I work during the week but there are people in my troop who are in the same situation as you.

Getting up on a monday moring after a weekend is hardwork!