Uber essay

bulletproofpunk

Reaction score
Hello all,
Thought it was about time I introduced myself and shared my story. I'll try and keep it short.
I sent away my application in august, and have been frequenting these forums regularly, but wanted to wait until I had gotten further in the process before I made myself known on here.
The whole process since filling in the initial forms has been exciting, and I have really enjoyed getting my training in and seeing the results from all my hard work. The last couple of months I have gone through many Royal Marine books, two of which were by a resident on these boards (cheers Steve, couldn't put them down). Each day that went by felt like I was taking another step to Lympstone.
Anyway, the day of the medical arrived 2 weeks ago and I failed my colour perception test (CP5). I knew I was colour blind, but it never occurred to me I was that bad.
Ninja has been a great help to me in researching and carrying out my appeal for a re-test. But, it wasn't to be.
As disappointed as I have been feeling, the voices in my head keep saying "cheerfulness in the face of adversity". Wonder where that came from?
The point is, there are some things which we can't control, and I should be glad that my only ailment is with colour perception. So, for all those who say you don't need a back-up plan if you want to be a Marine; here is one such case where you would.
Though my build up to preparing myself for the Royal Marines has been short, I feel like i've learned a lot about myself, and am now ready to grab the next phase of my life by the balls.
It is to be the Army then. Though I am struggling with two options; the Parachute Regiment, or the Royal Artillery with the view of joining 29 CDO RA. Obviously the latter option because i'll get to train and fight with the Royal Marines and be trained as an Army Commando. In particular arctic warfare training tickles my fancy. The Parachute Reg. because reputation and skill wise they are on par with the Royal Marines.
Whereas I can find loads of info on the Paras, I can't seem to find too much info on 29 CDO RA. What are peoples' opinions on them? I would especially like to hear Steve's view on them as I'm sure he knows first hand. I've checked out other forums, and there are a few current/ex bootnecks who don't take too kindly to those who do a short Commando course and then get to wear the Green Beret.

I realise that was an absolute essay, and thanks to anyone who read it all the way through. Future posts will be:laugh: much shorter, promise :laugh:

Thanks guys!

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
Thought it was about time I introduced myself and shared my story. I'll try and keep it short.
I sent away my application in august, and have been frequenting these forums regularly, but wanted to wait until I had gotten further in the process before I made myself known on here.
The whole process since filling in the initial forms has been exciting, and I have really enjoyed getting my training in and seeing the results from all my hard work. The last couple of months I have gone through many Royal Marine books, two of which were by a resident on these boards (cheers Steve, couldn't put them down). Each day that went by felt like I was taking another step to Lympstone.
Anyway, the day of the medical arrived 2 weeks ago and I failed my colour perception test (CP5). I knew I was colour blind, but it never occurred to me I was that bad.
Ninja has been a great help to me in researching and carrying out my appeal for a re-test. But, it wasn't to be.
As disappointed as I have been feeling, the voices in my head keep saying "cheerfulness in the face of adversity". Wonder where that came from?
The point is, there are some things which we can't control, and I should be glad that my only ailment is with colour perception. So, for all those who say you don't need a back-up plan if you want to be a Marine; here is one such case where you would.
Though my build up to preparing myself for the Royal Marines has been short, I feel like i've learned a lot about myself, and am now ready to grab the next phase of my life by the balls.
It is to be the Army then. Though I am struggling with two options; the Parachute Regiment, or the Royal Artillery with the view of joining 29 CDO RA. Obviously the latter option because i'll get to train and fight with the Royal Marines and be trained as an Army Commando. In particular arctic warfare training tickles my fancy. The Parachute Reg. because reputation and skill wise they are on par with the Royal Marines.
Whereas I can find loads of info on the Paras, I can't seem to find too much info on 29 CDO RA. What are peoples' opinions on them? I would especially like to hear Steve's view on them as I'm sure he knows first hand. I've checked out other forums, and there are a few current/ex bootnecks who don't take too kindly to those who do a short Commando course and then get to wear the Green Beret.

I realise that was an absolute essay, and thanks to anyone who read it all the way through. Future posts will be:laugh: much shorter, promise :laugh:

Thanks guys!

Hey mate gutted to heave heard that, all i can say is best luck on the future and hope you get were you want to be this time, life can be a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* cant it?

best of luck,
luke

S

Sotiris

Nice intro.

Sorry it had to be a no. Good luck with whatever you decide in the future.

bulletproofpunk

Reaction score
Haha, no worries lads. Thanks for the support though. What i'll try and do is compile all the info regarding 29 CDO I can find, and attach it to this thread. It may be of use to others.
Cheers

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune matey, but well done on not letting it get you off the idea of becoming a serving soldier. Best of luck with your applications and that info on RA commando will be worth a read just for interest aswell.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Unlucky mate, as you have already stated and know, there are other ways to earn the green lid. You looked at the engineers?

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/role/835.aspx

Seems like a good opportunity and a possiblity of a good trade should you wish to leave the service, take a look at it mate and good luck.