Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

UCAS Calculator

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Follow the link to convert pre 2017 qualifications to the new UCAS tariff: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/role-finder/ucas-calculator?popup=true

• If you take your A-levels after the start of 2017, you need 72 UCAS points, including two non-overlapping subject areas;

• A levels taken before 2017: you need 180 UCAS points from at least two non-overlapping subjects. For A levels, they must be passed at Grade D or better. At AS, not taken to A2 and passed at B or better.

• If you take your GCSEs after the start of 2017, you need 5 at grades 9 – 4, including English Language and Maths;

• GCSEs taken before 2017; you need 5 at grades A*– C including English Language and Maths.

2. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Why does it not have the IB?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Irritable Bowel syndrome is a bar to entry :)

Seriously though, the Baccalaureate depends on the academic content and needs to be verified acceptable by AIB.

In general, for composite qualifications the new Tariff allocates separate points to each
    separate constituent qualification rather than the overall qualification. For example, for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, the new Tariff allocates separate points to the Higher Level, Standard Level, Extended Essay, and Theory of Knowledge qualifications. There is no overall allocation to the whole IB Diploma.

The IB ucas tariff starts on page 28, https://www.ucas.com/file/63536/download?token=AHqFGizy

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Alright cheers Ninja

5. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Its worth noting under the new tariff, you need to achieve 72 UCAS points to be legible for RM Officer, and most Officer roles.

Some parts of the Careers website still state the old figure of 180, and if you used the calculator and put in your 3 expected A* A-levels, you'd be disheartened to see 162 points come up if you are unaware of the changes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Seems a bit double standard about having to be verified as "acceptable"
    Are some A levels deemed unacceptable?
    None of my business though... ;)

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It depends on the academic content, particularly at GCSE level because it must have maths and English.

8. browner467

browner467 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Can you apply to RM Officer without A-Levels?

After my GCSE's I went on to qualify as an electrician so don't have A-Levels but a Level 3 Diploma instead. On the qualification fact sheet it say that the qual is worth 102 credits. I also have a Level 3 BTEC in Science.

9. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    As explained in the thread, you need to go onto the UCAS Calculator, input your level 3 + qualifications and you need to get 72 UCAS points.

The credits refers to achieving different levels of qualification in the BTEC system, not the UCAS tariff. For example for a Diploma you need x credits, extended diploma y credits

Ensure it is a Level 3 Diploma - not a Subsidiary Diploma or Certificate. To get the required points with a Level 3 Diploma you need to get atleast a DM grade

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  10. Bear4236

Bear4236 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So do you need both A-levels and GCSE’s to become an officer? I have 10 GCSE’s A*- C but my A levels are shite haha nothing higher than a C in them... so does that mean I can’t apply? Or Can I apply based solely on my gcses?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You need both A Levels & GCSEs.

Use the calculator to see if your grades meet the ucas requirement.

12. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If you had standalone A Levels, you need a minimum of DDD or if only done two, BC. (CDE is also 72 points)

If you did A levels with the AS Level combined, you may have enough points even with just two grades (i.e CD,DE = 72)