Ucas points-A level/btec etc

J.Wilkes

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one could advise me on how the point system works.
i know from reading other posts that you need the points form non overlapping subjects and A.S level need to be a B or higher to be counted. However i currently have 160 ucas points from A.S level and a BTEC qualification supposedly worth 360 ucas points. I was wondering do BTEC's count and would i have sufficient points, as the points come from two different sources.
I am continuing with my A level next year so 180 ucas point should not be a problem i was just wondering do i already have the required points.
Any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated
.:cool:

(I apologise if this type of question has been answered previously i just can't seem to find the answer/thread)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's dificult to advise on the validity of the UCAS points from your BTEC as it depends which academic modules were undertaken. For that reason even the Area Careers Liaison Officer cannot categorically give definitive advice on this without faxing a copy of your BTEC qualification to the Admiralty Interview Board in Gosport for verification. Some BTECs are only acceptable at a Merit or a Distinction level pass.

With regard UCAS points at AS level, they can only be counted as you rightly state at grade B or better, assuming you did not take it to A2 level. If you take the A2 exam, the AS level UCAS points cannot be included. Generally people under the age of 19 would be expected to have taken A2's rather than just AS.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well if you AS level and BTEC are different subjects you should be fine. Did you do the BTEC National Diploma? That is the only one that offers 360 points maximum. I didn't know you could get 160 from one AS level.

Good luck.