Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

ucas points for an HND

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by dawalker17uk, Jun 6, 2010.

1. dawalker17uk

dawalker17uk New Member

Hi all this is my first post as most all of my other questions have been answered in other areas.

Here goes; while in high school I never really started studying until fourth year the result being that I have gained one standard grade pass, five Intermediate 2?s as level A and 2 highers at C.
    I then went on to complete 2 higher national diplomas (software development and sound production with electronics) and I have now finished an honours degree in audio technology with electronics (was awarded distinction for the degree year).
    Since starting university I have been interested in broadcasting, information?s systems and communication technology. After spotting the position of Information Systems Engineering Officer I have decided that this is the job for me.
    However, after looking at the qualifications requirements I do not know if I have what is required. It asks for

?A recognised first degree in a computing-based subject, 180 UCAS points and five GCSEs (A* to C)/ Scottish Standard grades or equivalent, which must include English and maths.?

I have the equivalent of 5 GCSEs and expecting to achieve a minimum of a 2.1(honours). However, I do not know if HND?s are acceptable and if so how many ucas points are awarded. If anyone could help me out with this I would be extremely grateful. :amuse:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The UCAS website will advise the points awarded for the qualification, however the only way of checking whether the HND is recognised as being accepted with regard academic content in lieu of the required A levels is to take your certificates to your AFCO so that copies maybe taken and forwarded to the Admiralty Interview Board for verification.

It's well worth taking the secondary certificates also to confirm their relevance and to double check the degree is accepted as an accredited computing qualification.

Good luck.

3. dawalker17uk

dawalker17uk New Member

Thanks for the advice and have forwarded on all my qualifications and modules that I have covered and they have been accepted. I now have a psychometric test and interview on the 30th of this month (july).

4. wd88

wd88 Member

I'm quite sure you do not get UCAS points for HNDs, HNCs or degrees or any other 'higher education course'.

You need UCAS points to get on HNDs and degrees etc and you get them from A levels and BTECS and some other 'further education' courses.

They might accept it though, so just wait and see what they say.

All the best.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm quite sure you get UCAS points for the following qualifications, as advised by AIB above. Regardless of the degree, the UCAS points & GCSEs (or direct equivalents) are required:

6. wd88

wd88 Member

Am i wrong Ninja? Bit confused now :uglyhammer:

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The advice with regard HNC & HND qualifications is that in order to be considered acceptable in lieu of A Levels, the certificates need to be copied by an AFCO & forwarded to AIB.

AIB will scrutinise the unit module content to decide whether there is sufficient academic content to accept the certificate in lieu of A Levels.

The OP has done that and informs us that his HND was accepted by AIB, however there are cases when the HND is not accepted.