UCAS points for POC

James Lavell

Reaction score
Hi all,
just wondered if anyone could help, im getting mixed messages from the Royal Navy help-line.

I have a BTEC national dip in music tech, which has the grade PPP so 120 ucas points, and an A Level in business which is 80 points, is this enough or will they not accept the BTEC as it is under MMP mark?

I also have a BA Honors in Business

Regards James

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently there have been recent changes and they now accept BTEC's Nationals to satisfy the criteria of UCAS points.

I believe you would be safe though as you have 200 points total from two separate subjects. By the way how did you manage to do an A level alongside your BTEC?

Ninja should give you the heads up. Read the thread here for clearer details. Hope that helps.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
all of these other qualifications are superfluous, you've got a 1st degree (BA Honours). that's enough to get you in by itself.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
all of these other qualifications are superfluous, you've got a 1st degree (BA Honours). that's enough to get you in by itself.

No it isn't. A degree does not override the need for correct qualifications (at least in the Royal Marine). So as Ninja said, even if you had a Masters and a PhD you would still need the correct A levels.

Whereas in the Army a degree may override the need for UCAS points. Strange huh.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No it isn't. A degree does not override the need for correct qualifications (at least in the Royal Marine). So as Ninja said, even if you had a Masters and a PhD you would still need the correct A levels.
when did he say that? in all the information i can find on it says along the lines of:
The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Marines will be 180 UCAS points
bold is my add

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
In some PM's to me.

While those those are the standards for non-graduate entrants, it does not specify anything different for graduate entrants so I assume they are the same. There is nowhere that says a degree will override the need for UCAS points.

For RM Officer selction, as well as 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English)
the minimum standard for UCAS points is to be increased from the minimum level of 140 UCAS points to eliminate candidates who clearly struggle at AIB, and to better align RN recruiting standards with the other services. The minimum requirement for educational qualifications is to be raised to 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Marines will be 180 UCAS points for all candidates from Fri 29 February 2008, subject to the constraints that:

a. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
b. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
c. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

4. The minimum for each subject will be increased from 40 to 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

a. A-Level Grade E;
b. AS-level Grade C;
c. Scottish Higher Grade D;
d. Scottish Intermediate – any grade.

5. The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

There was a thread I made sometime ago detailing this problem and Ninja mentioned having a degree would not override the need for UCAS points, but I cant find the thread.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you're right (which i don't yet concede) that's ridiculous- that 3 A' levels could be held in higher regard than a three year long Ba/ BSc degree.
That being said, i read the above to mean non-graduate applicants must have 180 UCAS points,which would make more sense especially if it's a graduate with a 1st/2:1 degree. But I'll leave it to Mr Stoker to clarify.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wrong, i suck:
Even with a degree you need 5 GCSE's A*-C (inc Maths & English) & 180 UCAS points at A Level standard from at least two non-overlapping subjects with each contributing subject scoring no less than 45 UCAS points. This will most definitely have been made clear at your AFCO by the Area Careers Liaison Officer or Careers Adviser. The odds are when you initially asked, the UCAS requirement was only 140 points & you may well have been eligible had you applied at that point in time. Be assured, at no time was a degree accepted for Naval services without the UCAS & GCSE requirement.

Any UCAS points from AS level are only counted from grade B upwards & only included if you did not complete the subject at A2. Likewise NVQ's, OND's, AVCE's, BTEC's, HND's, C&G's & HNC's must be faxed to AIB to check their validity and academic content regardless of their apparent UCAS score on the tariff tables.

still think it's daft though. *text deleted*

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, I can understand the frustration particularly if you have a degree, but candidates offering BTEC Certificates and Diplomas, at level 3 and above, will now be accepted as satisfying the non-overlapping requirement, but the minimum acceptable standards for these qualifications are now as follows:

BTEC Certificate – Distinction, Merit
BTEC Diploma – Merit, Merit, Merit

The minimum standard for A levels remains 180 UCAS points, with at least two non-overlapping subjects. Other Level 3 qualifications will be dealt with under existing policy on a case by case basis and those in doubt should take their certificates to the ACLO to be copied and sent to AIB check the validity of the academic content of the BTEC in lieu of A levels.

The reason given for this is that the RN & RM seek those with a consistently broad-based academic background.

It's understood the Army may view it differently if you have a degree & not enough A levels, however as we're all aware the Royal Marines aren't the Army.

James Lavell

Reaction score
. By the way how did you manage to do an A level alongside your BTEC?

Ninja should give you the heads up. Read the thread here for clearer details. Hope that helps.

I did a full AS and A2 level in one year, because my BTEC wasnt very well run, so i spent an extra year doing that.

Im hoping even though the BTEC is under MMP they will still consider the points, it is a bit annoying, but if they dont i will just have to take on two AS levels whilst on my final year of degree, (Business BA)

WannabeMarine86

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, im in the exact same predicament. I have a B-TEC in Design with the grade PPP.

Im now about to start my final year of a BA Hons in the same subject aswel as join the UOTC. I was planning to take a full A-Level after i finished university whilst undergoing recruit training with the RMR. Once i had achieved that qualification i was going to leave the RMR and apply for full time officer selection for the september 2010 batch.

I can understand what you mean about mixed messages from the Navy helpline. I was told to undertake an AS Level to boost my UCAS points to a minimum of 180 which i was then told would qualify me academically for YO selection despite my PPP grade.

This advice seems inconsistent with the policy of needing a MMP minimum grade. Is there anyway I can get a confirmation on this matter as i dont want to go and spend £350 on an A-Level course, waste a year an then find out i dont qualify for selection?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
when did he say that? in all the information i can find on it says along the lines of:

bold is my add

Being a grad just gives you the extra pay check. Nothing more.
You NEED the UCAS points to get in as an officer regardless.
Went through the talk with the AFCO before deciding to join as a OR.

James Lavell

Reaction score
This advice seems inconsistent with the policy of needing a MMP minimum grade. Is there anyway I can get a confirmation on this matter as i dont want to go and spend £350 on an A-Level course, waste a year an then find out i dont qualify for selection?

I will let you know on monday, because i already have the extra A level, so if both grades are excepted then they should allow me to continue, if not there is not much point doing you extra single a level do several, but i will let you know on monday WannabeMarine86

James Lavell

Reaction score
interesting entery requirments (see what you think)

Hi again

As you can see with my previous thread i have been looking at the entry requirments for Graduates, if you look at the RM website, it now states minimum requiments are as followed

The minimum entry requirements are five GCSEs (A-C)/five S grades (1-3) including English language and mathematics and two A levels/ three H grades. Applicants with alternative qualifications are considered on their individual merits.

yet the direct graduate entry is

Direct graduate entrants must have a UK degree and English and maths at GCSE (A-C)/S grades (1-3), or equivalent qualifications. They should be under 26 on 1st September of the year of entry (refers to all officer entrants not just graduates).

The graduate requirments specify the GCSE's but not the A levels, i would have thought you would have to meet the minimum requirements if they hadnt of mentioned the GCSE's, does this mean they now except graduates without full UCAS Points??

In my mind it certainly reads that way!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Went into afco originally to apply as officer (decided OR in the end).

You need to 180 UCAS points regardless of degree im afraid, its one of the questions on the little form you fill out anyway.

James Lavell

Reaction score
Yeah ive got 200 ucas points but 120 of which come from a BTEC so im hoping they except them

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think I read they are somewhere on this board, pretty recent thing If i remember correctly, just check a few of the other threads:blink1:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As previouly stated there is no change to the A Level requirement if you enter as a graduate. The Army may view it differently, but the RN & RM do not waive the requirement at A level standard.

Reaction score
The problem is that the Royal Marines need Officers with a strong and varied academic background. They need to be able to write clear reports on all of their Marines as well as do a bit of paperwork. If you can't do this, then you'll look stupid but much worse you'll effectively damage the careers of the Marines in your Troop/Company.
There are so many qualifications out there now which aren't worth the paper they are written on. Many vocational courses do not give you anywhere near enough experience at writing in the same way a classic A-Level such as English or History does.
I have said it a number of times but the job requires a sound academic ability. It is not enough to be fit and determined. If you can't effectively manage the paperwork side of life then you won't make a competent Officer.
The 180 UCAS points in non-overlapping subjects is to prevent people from wasting their time on the POC when they were never going to pass the AIB. You can want it more than anything in the world but if you haven't got the skills/academic ability you're not much good to the Corps.
Again, apologies for my blunt approach but you might as well get used to it lads.
Cheers.

New Threads