UCAS points

Murphy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd firstly like to express my appreciation for this forum its been an incredible source of information.

I have recently returned from travelling in my gap year post 6th form, more experienced, confident and fitter than I’ve ever been, and chomping at the bit to hand in my application for the Royal Marines. Once I’d filled out the application of interest form and sent it away to my local armed forces careers office I waited a couple of weeks and then got a rather disturbing phone call informing me that I did not have enough UCAS points to even be considered for selection. I thought this was strange as when I left England it was 140, which I had, but as the recruiter explained while I’d been away it was increased to 180 and there was nothing he could do for me (Although he did say I could still join the RAF Regiment which as I’m sure you'll all agree sounds like a joke when you want to be an officer in the Royal Marines).

I won't let this get me down and am currently looking into retaking one of my A-Levels to boost my points. My question is that if I manage to obtain a predicted grade for my examination which is up to standard would I be able to
go for selection for the Sept 09 batch in the same way someone applying in their last year of 6th form would?

Thanks

Fin Murphy

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site & thanks for the kind words.

You've probably already seen the specific detail regarding the change of UCAS points required for RM Officer.

The person to speak with for definitive advice is the Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO) at your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO)- link below.

Certainly for those attending 6th Form, they may take both Potential Officers Course (POC) and Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) and if successful are then offered a provisional entry date subject to satisfactory A level results. If they don't make the grade, the job offer is withdrawn. The alternative is to join as an Other Rank & apply for a Corps Commission as a longer term aspiration.

With those who have taken AS level, the judgement call is made based on their AS level grades which should indicate the likelihood of A2 Level grades.

With those that have taken A2 Level, having achieved a total of 140 UCAS points, you cannot add any contributing A Level score comprising less than 45 UCAS points. In other words, only Grade D A2 scores & B AS scores upwards may count to the all-up total. To achieve 140 UCAS points, you must therefore have scored a grade C & D at A level. You would therefore have to convince your ACLO that you are worth processing prior to achieving an improved grade - the ACLO may wish to wait until you produce the goods.

For those unaware of points which may be counted, a breakdown of non-overlapping contributing scores are as follows. (Overlapping subjects- You cannot count the points from AS level if you take the subject at A2)

A2 Levels: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60.

AS Levels: A=60, B=50.

Good luck.

Murphy

Reaction score
Thank you Ninja Stoker it looks I have some convincing to do.

In answer to Sotiris I don't give up that easily on what I want to do.

cheers

6 mile run (Road) 42 mins
3 mile run (Road) 18 mins
Pressups 67 (2mins)
Sit ups 81 (2 mins)
Chin ups 14 (Maxed out)

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
no offense mate but how is it even possible to only get 140 ucas points these days? I have like 500 and I left High School at 17.

I'm still joining as a recruit though.

Will my grades come in handy if I decide one day to do the corps commision thing?

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
no offense mate but how is it even possible to only get 140 ucas points these days? I have like 500 and I left High School at 17.

I'm still joining as a recruit though.

Will my grades come in handy if I decide one day to do the corps commision thing?

Well I would think your lying if you managed to get 500 and having left at 17. As by this point you will have only done AS levels, and you would need around 8 or 9 AS levels at grade A to get that high, which is impossible I tell you...though kudos if you did.

http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointscalculator.asp

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
S

Sotiris

They would only come in handy in as much as they would enable you to qualify for a YO application.

As has been discussed many times on this site before, the Corps don't give a damn what subjects you study or what grades you got. The only thing that matter is if you have the points to apply.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ok well maybe not 500, about 420 to be exact

That's still a good 7 AS levels at grade A in one year though...hard work methinks.

I thought no qualifications for a Corpse commission? Where there is the likeliness of them having no formal qualifications starting out as a Rank.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For a Corps Commision, the minimum requirement is 5 A*~C grade GCSE's.

Ucas points awarded for any qualification other than A Level need to be verified valid by AIB. Public Service BTEC below level 3 or less than Merit, Merit, Merit, for example is not validvfor direct entry officer.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For a Corps Commission, the minimum requirement is 5 A*~C grade GCSE's, which MUST include Maths & English..

Ucas points awarded for any qualification other than A Level need to be verified valid by AIB. Public Service BTEC* below level 3 at less than Merit, Merit, Merit, for example is not valid for direct entry officer.

* BTEC EQUIVALENCIES

Candidates offering BTEC Certificates and Diplomas, at level 3 and above, will now be accepted as satisfying the non-overlapping requirement, but the minimum acceptable standards for these qualifications are now as follows:

BTEC Certificate – Distinction, Merit
BTEC Diploma – Merit, Merit, Merit

The minimum standard for A levels remains 180 UCAS points, with at least two non-overlapping subjects. Other Level 3 qualifications will be dealt with under existing policy on a case by case basis.

Necki

Reaction score
Just found this on a website and thought for anyone trying to work out their UCAS points it may be useful

UCAS - Points Calculator

It's not official UCAS but seems correct.