UK set to increase Afghan troops

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has seen this but in a way it could be good for recruitment reasons. my guess is that as more troops are needed the faster the selection process will happen. (bearing in mind a cannot wait to get in!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7456551.stm

It might help speed up the selection process,
but I think overall they'll take a dig in recruitment,
after the death of those 5 Paras last week and the fact that they are saying more troops are going into Afghanistan,
I'm guessing it won't do much to help numbers,
as I'm sure it has put people off.

Joe

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I hope it does because i wan't to get in ASAP! I really cannot wait to start.

If they got put off by that then surly they shouldn't be joining anyway?

I was thinking, OK 102 of our soldiers have died but how many taliban have died? i would bet a lot more than 102!

WrapJuice

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. If you don't like the idea of going to a war zone then don't join up!

This is a subject that i have seen come up quite a few times on here. i suspect most people realise it's not for them after they start RT, or maybe PRMC. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be a marine to be honest!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of more just general public opinion,
to some 16 year old kid just about to leave school and thinking about joining it might seem pretty daunting,
and when he turns to friends and parents and they have a bad opinion of it,
and he watches the news,
it might put him off,
I know you say well he shouldn't be joining anyway if he gets put off by that,
but before you fully have your heart set of something,
some people have a few options they consider,
and if the idea of the forces is completely put out of their head,
then the Marines might have lost a potential recruit.

Just look at the old advert,
99.9% need not apply,
they changed it because not as many people were applying,
so you know,
doesn't mean they aren't good enough to be Marines,
it's just sometimes people need a kick up the arse before they set their heart on a career in the forces.

Joe

0.01%

Reaction score
This is a subject that i have seen come up quite a few times on here. i suspect most people realise it's not for them after they start RT, or maybe PRMC. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be a marine to be honest!

Yeah I agree on the first bit, you would work out quite quickly on in R.T if it wasn't what you really wanted. Or the PRMC, after all they do push you so if that isn't what you're happy doing or can't see the point then I imagine it ends there..... Got to look at the bigger picture though.

On that I would be interested to know if many achieve a pass at PRMC but then withdraw the application prior to R.T. Ninja, you got any facts and figures on this??

I CAN understand why people don't want to be Marines, or any part of the forces *text deleted*. Everyone is different and I can think of so many of my mates, all good lads, but who just would never be cut out for it in different ways. Got to remember a lot moan about their boring lives and how they live for the weekend etc etc, but deep down they don't really want to do anything about it and are happy enough to get on with it. *text deleted* that though!

0.01%

Reaction score
I was thinking of more just general public opinion,
to some 16 year old kid just about to leave school and thinking about joining it might seem pretty daunting,
and when he turns to friends and parents and they have a bad opinion of it,
and he watches the news,
it might put him off,
I know you say well he shouldn't be joining anyway if he gets put off by that,
but before you fully have your heart set of something,
some people have a few options they consider,
and if the idea of the forces is completely put out of their head,
then the Marines might have lost a potential recruit.

Just look at the old advert,
99.9% need not apply,
they changed it because not as many people were applying,
so you know,
doesn't mean they aren't good enough to be Marines,
it's just sometimes people need a kick up the arse before they set their heart on a career in the forces.

Joe

See what you're saying fella. But in my book it is easy to think you want something, or you're happy with something, but when you open your eyes and take a step back to evaluate things it becomes apparant that you're kidding yourself. I've had jobs where i've earnt good enough money, convinced myself it is alright and considered staying their for years and years. It was only after I left that I realised how crap everything was! Same with relationships, sure we've all had birds who we have convinced were great and you wanted to stay with for ever but after it all ends you look back and laugh as you realise she was a complete messer. (this may just be me mind ha!) They are the same sort of thing, it's only when you look at things from all angles that you get the real picture.

The Forces all look lovely in the books and adverts but if you dig a little deeper some will realise that some of the things they may be asked to do is never going to sit easy with them and it is for that reason that it's better they don't build up hope of a life as a Marine, or whatever. Better for them and the AFCOs, as they don't waste time and money etc.

And that 99.9% advert campaign was wicked! Made me want to join soon as I saw it!

J

Jason_A

0.01% well said mate! You sure got the "birds" part right haha....it still doesn't cease to amaze me when I see things like: "baby you're everything to me...were *text deleted* stay together 4eva n eva" - yes, I've been there too *text deleted*.

As for the advert -- amazing. I just keep playing it back and back and back. The words are mint!! :)

WrapJuice

Reaction score
Yeah I agree on the first bit, you would work out quite quickly on in R.T if it wasn't what you really wanted. Or the PRMC, after all they do push you so if that isn't what you're happy doing or can't see the point then I imagine it ends there..... Got to look at the bigger picture though.

On that I would be interested to know if many achieve a pass at PRMC but then withdraw the application prior to R.T. Ninja, you got any facts and figures on this??

I CAN understand why people don't want to be Marines, or any part of the forces *text deleted*. Everyone is different and I can think of so many of my mates, all good lads, but who just would never be cut out for it in different ways. Got to remember a lot moan about their boring lives and how they live for the weekend etc etc, but deep down they don't really want to do anything about it and are happy enough to get on with it. *text deleted* that though!

yeah i would also like to know what the stats are when it comes to dropping out at what stages. Might also indicate where what parts are harder than others.

I agree with what you said about how you can understand why someone wouldn't want to work in the forces. I meant what i said in jest as i'm overly exited about joining :) everyone is different, and i would suspect being in the marines is probably 70% mind and the rest fitness. as have the the right state of mind will give you the strength you need.

Totally know where you're coming from with regards to the women *text deleted*! i think we have all been there. i have a fairly new woman at the moment and i'm starting to feel like that now!

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have set my heart on something and i am going to achieve, simple as really!