Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

UKSF Reserve

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by GreenNugget, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add to the above the DCE age range for SAS (R) is currently 17 years 9 months to 42 years. One should never assume but my assumption regardless is that training must commence before the 43rd birthday.

https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/infantry/sas-reserve

From memory the traditional role of SAS (R) since the 1970s has been that of long range reconnaissance. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the role of SAS (R) has evolved significantly since its move from UKSF to 1 ISR Brigade.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/...ence-surveillance-and-reconnaissance-brigade/

Edited to add:

Air Marshal Garwood said reservists in 21 and 23 SAS had well defined jobs during the Cold War, but since then “the requirement for them appears to be less clear and more difficult to articulate”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ll-risk-sas-selection-brecon-beacons-inquiry/

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Yeah I noticed that too, unsure if that is an error or if the standard AR age limit now applies to 21/23.

The site also mentions the 34 limit by week one which seems much more likely.
    DAD6D5B6-EBF1-4332-8A54-F4AC6E5B347F.jpeg

As for the role, I would suspect that it is much more clearly defined now they are within 1ISR’s ORBAT as Human, Environment, Reconnaissance and Analysis (HERA) patrols.

Whilst inside “the group” I think 21/23 struggled to find a place. Especially in the Telic/HERRICK years. Their ability to backfill traditional SF jobs had been dissipated- due to the nature of counter insurgency operations and manning of taskforces.

Their T&M role was replaced by a regular infantry battalion and the recce role was covered by BRF’s and Pathfinders. In the race to be relevant, SFSG have reinvented large amounts of what SAS (R) used to do to fill the gap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I've emailed 21 SAS (R) and asked for clarification about the maximum age at which a DCE may commence training. Another Army website states that SAS (R) personnel may serve until reaching the age of 43.

Initially I telephoned the SAS (R) recruitment hotline. I'm fairly certain that the call connected but I could only hear what sounded like muffled explosions and then someone shouted "It's my turn on the balcony. This is just so unfair!" before the line went dead. :confused:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Well..... it is a Saturday after all.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper Dealer of Death, New York, Paris & Peckham.

63 (UKSF) Signal Squadron also accepts Direct Civilian Entrants. 63 Sigs is open to both males and females that are robust, intelligent and possess physical stamina to operate in demanding and hostile environments. As an Special Forces Communicator (Reserve) you are taught to use numerous communication systems, weapons and insertion techniques. You will support UKSF in both exercises & operations.
    This thread is important as we shouldn’t stick our heads in the sand and assume UKSF (R) is immune to the recruitment & retention struggles felt across the entire military.

As the majority of this forum are Serving, ex or aspiring Royal Marines it does no harm to highlight such career paths. I can’t think of higher calibre people who can commit to the considerable training demands of this challenging, highly motivated group than Royal Marine Commandos.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

There is a serving Police Officer that serves with 63 Sigs. He is awarded an extra two weeks paid leave (annually) to complete SF trade courses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    From my understanding 43 is the max age a trained rank can be while serving in 21/23 but I maybe mistaken, as stated above you need to apply before you turn 33 to NRC and before 35 to be on SIW Week 1.

As a reserves unit it maybe tough getting in contact with them and a while until you get a reply.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Fair comment. Generally recruitment telephone hotlines deploy a robotic, generic 'please leave a message after the bleep' response when nobody is near a telephone.

Having tried several relevant UKSF (R) recruitment hotlines I was genuinely impressed by the 23 SAS (R) message which had clearly been recorded by some gruff-sounding bloke after several attempts at striking the desired positive and helpful tone. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I do believe the age limit has been increased though, not sure which one for though.

From the limited amount of information in the public domain and of course how true it is, I've read that if you miss one night or weekend then you're binned, it's pretty much a full time job training in your own time and putting your personal life on hold for that time, and if you're fit enough to get on to selection it can be all down to luck not getting injured.

10. BubbleBert

BubbleBert New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cue everyone rushing to call in now just to hear this message!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

For the avoidance of doubt for any interested individuals quietly reading.

UKSF(R) comprises of 21 SAS(R), 23 SAS(R), SBS(R) and 63 (UKSF) Sig Sqn. All are tasked to the highest level and can operate in difficult and often changing circumstances, sometimes in absence of guidance and within situations that have significant operational and strategic importance.

21/23 SAS and 63 Sigs accept applicants with no prior military experience. SBS (R) only accepts applications from candidates with previous military experience.

All of this is available via here https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/uk-special-forces-reserve/

Let’s try and keep this thread tidy and on topic. I encourage those engaging with this thread to offer and receive advice cautiously. We are fortunate to have some true subject matter experts who support this thread. Do not abuse that privilege.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  12. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Yes. SAS (R) welcomes applications from Direct Civilian Entrants.

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheRubberDagger

The age limits for SAS (R) are as follows. Candidates are to be no older than 32 years 364 days when commencing their application with the National Recruiting Centre (NRC). This is due to the considerable time constraints of completing CMS Phase 1(A), CMS Phase 1(B) and Phase 2 Combat Infantryman’s Course before attempting UKSFR Selection.

In the perfect set of circumstances 1A and 1B is currently 9 weekends over approximately 4 months, plus 2 weeks for CIC. This would require the candidate to commence, and remain, injury free during this phase. Following this the intensity of selection requires a lack of injury and the very rapid recovery if an injury is sustained to avoid missing key drill nights/weekends. The closer the applicant is to the upper age limit the chance of reapplying is less. Younger applicants (late 20’s and early 30’s) is where all elements of UKSF (R) tend to have success, and therefore where they target their recruitment efforts.

Hence why all applicants must be no older than 34 years 364 days on weekend 1 Selection Induction Weekend (SIW) of SAS(R) Selection. However, you will need to start, and remain, injury free during Selection if you are knocking on the door of 35.
    I recommend anyone interested in SAS (R) to contact them directly.

Edit to add- There is a possibility the age limit for DCE will increase. Please refer to their webpage on the army.mod.uk fir further.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

It is becoming very apparent why so many RM/RMR ranks go on to pass selection. Being fit, very determined and extremely committed seems to be the golden thread here. The level of dedication and effort required to join these units would not be entirely alien to a bootneck!

• Like Like x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  15. TheRubberDagger

Be aware although this unit recruits nationally there are only two UK locations available to Special Forces Communicator (Reserve) ranks.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I’m guessing 63 Sigs or 18 Sigs would maybe appeal to blokes from Y Squadron of 30 Commando or sig troop bods?

17. GreenNugget

GreenNugget Ex Pongo

Anyone on here got a phys plan for the briefing course?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

My guess is it maybe worth messaging @TheRubberDagger.

• Seen Seen x 1
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Phys until your eyeballs bleed. Then phys a little more.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The issue of age parameters for UKSF (R) has already been covered in subsequent posts but I had a chat with the RSUSO at 23 SAS (R) last week. He is responsible for recruitment.
    SAS (R) in common with other UKSF (R) units want to reach out to a larger pool of talent from which to recruit.

I speculated in an earlier post about what the current role of SAS (R) is compared to its role in the 1970s which was widely thought to be long range reconnaissance; or something like that.
    A clearer (as opposed to speculated) notion of its role may become more widely known once the appropriate disclosure restrictions have been reviewed.

Interestingly, an appropriately experienced tri-service Trained Rank aspiring to join SBS (R) is not necessarily restricted, in the first instance, by the geographical location of their home. Both 21 SAS (R) and 23 SAS (R) permit candidates for SBS (R) to parade at their detachments.

For the avoidance of doubt, it’s worth repeating that SBS (R) does not accept applications from Direct Civilian Entrants (DCE).
    SBS (R) does accept applications from tri-service reservists and tri-service regulars who wish to apply under the seamless transfer scheme. They also accept applications from candidates who have left the military in the last two years; this is where 21/23 SAS (R) come in.

Please bear in mind that I am not a subject matter expert on UKSF (R). It took me a while to decode the flurry of three-letter acronyms. Anyone on the forum who falls into the categories mentioned above, either Other Rank or Officer, and considering SBS (R) should in the first instance perhaps drop an expression of interest PM to @TheRubberDagger

SAS (R) does accept applications from Direct Civilian Entrants as well as tri-service reservists and tri-service regulars who wish to apply under the seamless transfer scheme.

Anyone interested in 23 SAS (R) can make a direct recruitment email enquiry to:
    [email protected]

Once an expression of interest has been received the potential applicant will be promptly contacted by a member of the SAS (R) recruitment team to gather further information.
    For admin reasons this is currently the best enquiry pathway for 21 SAS (R) as well.

More about SAS (R) here:
    https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/uk-special-forces-reserve/21-23-sas-r/

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1