Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Undecided

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by KwA96, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Watty17

Watty17 New Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread gents. I'm just wanting to know how the RMR work with regards to deployments exactly? Both exercises and live ops? Would the RMR (London in my case) deploy as a unit strength together formed of only reserves or do they only ever augment the regulars and bolt into a regular commando unit when they go away? From everything I’ve found online it appears that the regs aren’t doing that much or going anywhere at the minute. I was thinking that now the future commando force has been created will this makes things a little bit complex for RMR ranks to simply augment the regs in this role.

I think I’m wrong in believing that the only way to deploy with the RMR is to augment the regs through a billet that would be for example, 6-12 months full time commitment?

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Its always augmentation of the regular units, normally on a FTRS (full time reservce service) contract usually around 12 months in duration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Watty17

Watty17 New Member

Thanks very much for that. So that answers my next question which would have been unless you can commit to doing FTRS or lengthy stretches of augmentation then you’ll never get the chance to go on any form of deployment with the RMR?!

The AR it is...

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Possibly @TheRubberDagger can answer this one. A good few years back SBS(R) used to have Sabre squadrons who would deploy as standalone Reserve units. Not sure if that"s still the case.

But, I think the reason non-SF RMR trained ranks mobilise as individuals within regular service units is to mitigate against skill-fade (currency) and enable them to be employed in frontline ops rather than as second-tier combat support roles.

Put it this way, I doubt a non-SF AR unit would be deployed as a standalone, unsupported frontline infantry unit in a combat zone, at the sharp-end - despite possibly claiming otherwise in order to recruit.

Exercises, training courses & professional development courses and AT, maybe, but I imagine unlikely for AR infantry riflemen in a frontline combat role as a purely AR unit. If that's what they're claiming, ask them for examples of recent standalone tours.

It raises an interesting point, I'll ask on ARRSE whether it's factually correct to expect AR infantry, unit strength operational deployments - happy to stand corrected..

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Watty17

Watty17 New Member

I think you may have misunderstood me a little. I'm not suggesting that AR infantry units would deploy to an active theatre alone as a standalone battalion. Saying that though I do believe one of the Rifles battalions is going out for Op Tosca? I'm not sure which one exactly but I know thats a peacekeeping jobby anyway.

What I’m trying to get my head around is if the RMR ranks only deploy, whether on exercise or onto live ops alongside the regs as individuals but only by being augmented? If so can it be case of jumping onto a 2 week exercise for example and then returning back to RMR life or do you have to be engaged within one of cdo units for months on end?

• Seen Seen x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You can indeed volunteer for shorter term evolutions - most RMR trained ranks only undertake about two to four week attachments a year (Usually professional qualifying courses, exercises in UK and overseas and maybe AT). Opportunities arise frequently for short term duties such as those mentioned - it's how you qualify for your annual bounty.

The difference is that if compulsorily mobilised, it'll be for 12 months, of which up to six could be spent overseas.

The third option is to volunteer for FTRS posts. These are usually regular service billets which cannot be filled, so a Reservist volunteers to fill it - I'm doing just that now on a 3 year contract, filling a SO3 (RM Captain equivalent) post but as a WO1. That said, most FTRS billets are currently only 12 months long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Ninja has nailed it above.
    In RMR any vacancies on ops or exercises will (normally) be advertised several months in advance on weekly orders or drill nights. If you are interested then the Det clerks will make the arrangements.
    It’s highly improbable that you'd be mobilised unless you actively volunteered for it in RMR.
    The last time I think that an entire unit of reserves deployed as a stand alone was one of the early Telic tours as we were already heavily committed in Afghan.
    Let’s face it- there is no real chance of two simultaneous warry campaigns happening again anytime soon. So individual IR’s/FTRS it is.

UKSF (R) is a different animal. SF (R) elements have plenty of high-readiness reserves and sponsored reserves who will be more likely to be mobilised in clusters as opposed to just individual.

8. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

When I was on tour with the infantry we had two TA lads attached to our multiple. Both cracking guys. In terms of duration: They did between 3 and 6 months in theatre. If you add that on to our Pre-Deployment Training & Post-Operational leave that they were entitled to it was somewhere between 4 and 12 months for the deployment!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheRubberDagger

@Watty17

Might be useful for you to attend an Initial Maritime Reserve Presentation (IMRP), this will give you the opportunity to speak to reservists and learn more about the role itself. You can arrange to be booked onto one of these by calling the recruitment number.

Ninja might be able to give more gen on this.

10. robbo09

robbo09 Member

AR inf works pretty similar to RMR, in that they’ll have a few lads go with regs. There’s opportunities to do so currently depending on regiment etc to go do force protection in certain countries. But no, chances are you’ll not be getting deployed as a stand-alone reserve unit/company. Unless Russian paras start descending on us that is :)

11. TheRubberDagger

Anyone thinking of joining reserve service needs to give serious thought to this. Trying to juggle life, work and the reserve requires serious effort. If you can’t fully commit and just want the odd weekend away playing soldier then perhaps it’s not for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Watty17

Watty17 New Member

Thanks for all the info gents you’ve been a great help. Given me much to think about!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jones86

Jones86 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi mate.

Any chance of you also sending me a copy of RMR training plan please? It would be greatly appreciated.

I start with Mersey in Sep 19.

• Seen Seen x 1
  14. TheRubberDagger

Sorry- not something I can help with.

Perhaps our resident gym queen @arny01 can help? His plan is absolutely mega.

Best of luck.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@TheRubberDagger do you still give out the old training guide that lads going for electus use to get?

• Seen Seen x 1
  16. TheRubberDagger

An updated, digital copy is emailed to Mod net address’ following a presentation evening.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

@Jones86 ill tag you on the training plan thread. Stand by.

• Like Like x 1