Underweight

RedCoat

Reaction score
So i have sent my application off and got a call back within the week. They said i was underweight. Im pretty small about 5”3 of 5”4 not to sure im 57 kg when i wake up and aroung 59 before i go to sleep. Im a pretty busy person considering im 15. I go boxing 3 times a week and the gym the rest. I need some help on how to put weight on rather fast as im wanting to start training as soon as i leave school.

drgraphics

Reaction score
I've got the same issue mate, I'm 16 and I weigh around 56kg, and I can't join until I gain that extra weight. Literally high metabolism and I just can't gain the weight.

I heard leg workouts help, aka weighted squats etc, been implementing them into my workouts. All the best buddy.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you've still got a bit to grow and you'll naturally put on weight as you grow and fill out with age.

Focus on maintaining a steady fitness base whilst this happens, concentrating on your studies. then once you're at the weight and have a few more inches, apply and step up your training (if that is what you want to do).

As for applying at 16, people can and do get through the selection process and training at that age but the general advice on this forum is make sure you consider all other options as waiting a few years vastly increases your chances of getting the green beret. Not going to tell you what to do and what not to do, however, take it from someone who was set on applying straight after school. I'm in a much better place having waited a few years, getting a degree and applying at 20.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited:

drgraphics

Reaction score
Sounds like you've still got a bit to grow and you'll naturally put on weight as you grow and fill out with age.

Focus on maintaining a steady fitness base whilst this happens, concentrating on your studies. then once you're at the weight and have a few more inches, apply and step up your training (if that is what you want to do).

As for applying at 16, people can and do get through the selection process and training at that age but the general advice on this forum is make sure you consider all other options as waiting a few years vastly increases your chances of getting the green beret. Not going to tell you what to do and what not to do, however, take it from someone who was set on applying straight after school. I'm in a much better place having waited a few years, getting a degree and applying at 20.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Personally for me, dunno about @RedCoat, but I'm applying when I hit 17 aka in 4 months, will of done a year at college and hopefully be ready fitness wise. It seems like the mature option right now for myself.

Just since there's not a lot I can do education wise since I didn't get the best of grades.

RedCoat

Reaction score
Thanks. I have considered my options and think it is a bit pointless in staying on at school as im not enjoying myself at all. I have considered staying on and maybe applying to be an officer. Just something i have always wanted to do. I was woundering if i put on weight, would I become much slower

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@arny01 care to weigh in?

Eat more. You won't look like a T-Rex if you eat like tweety bird. Eat more through smaller meals or from massive calorie shakes.
Some would say GOMAD too, gallon of fullfat milk a day....

RedCoat

Reaction score
Ye i have read things like that but am slightly hesitant to try it incase i put on massive amounts of fat instead of muscle.

Jester1664

Reaction score
i had this issue when i was 16, i weighed 54kg due to thai boxing and stuff, all id say is eat like a king and let nature take its course im 68kg now and still gaining weight by just eating more and going to the gym,just make sure you don't neglect running!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Dietry advice is a difficult one. However, you need to eat big! And when I say big. It's to the point of feeling sick. Lean meats! High calorie protein shakes can help. However GOMAD I'd a viable choice. My lad gained 4 kg before entering RT in 6 weeks. I don't think he's drank milk since tho.

drgraphics

Reaction score
Dietry advice is a difficult one. However, you need to eat big! And when I say big. It's to the point of feeling sick. Lean meats! High calorie protein shakes can help. However GOMAD I'd a viable choice. My lad gained 4 kg before entering RT in 6 weeks. I don't think he's drank milk since tho.
How old was your lad when he gained 4kg?

Also, would having just a litre a day work instead? Just cause having to have 4 litres a day = 1 gallon, can be pretty expensive in the long run.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
How old was your lad when he gained 4kg?

Also, would having just a litre a day work instead? Just cause having to have 4 litres a day = 1 gallon, can be pretty expensive in the long run.
16. Yep it can cost a bit, but you need calories. And as it happens milk has the perfect nutritional balance for optimal weight gain. Ask any baby? ;):)

oliveoil

Reaction score
Aren't you the same person who quite obviously implied women shouldn't be able to join because they aren't physically up to it? Well as a woman maybe my experience is a bit different (especially as I'm 4 inches taller than you and naturally sit at over 70kg), but I do have a lot of experience with diets as its part of my job, so you can take or leave this advice. To gain weight think at least 50% carbs and the rest can be protein healthy fats fruit veg and dairy etc just stay low on useless sugars. You won't put on fat if you are doing the right type of exercise and eating the right type of food, but if you don't eat enough your muscles will suffer damage, so always safer to eat more if you want to avoid injury. Also, weights/strength work will help you gain useful weight, whereas cardio (boxing) will mean you shed the kgs, so if you can afford to swap some cardio for weights then do so (as long as you can still pass the run/beep test). Double your current food intake and do less cardio (if possible) and you should be able to put on a kg a week. Remember that you need to be/will be training like an elite athlete so you need to eat like one, not like an average kid. When I rowed I ate 6 large meals a day and never had a shred of fat one me.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Aren't you the same person who quite obviously implied women shouldn't be able to join because they aren't physically up to it? Well as a woman maybe my experience is a bit different (especially as I'm 4 inches taller than you and naturally sit at over 70kg), but I do have a lot of experience with diets as its part of my job, so you can take or leave this advice. To gain weight think at least 50% carbs and the rest can be protein healthy fats fruit veg and dairy etc just stay low on useless sugars. You won't put on fat if you are doing the right type of exercise and eating the right type of food, but if you don't eat enough your muscles will suffer damage, so always safer to eat more if you want to avoid injury. Also, weights/strength work will help you gain useful weight, whereas cardio (boxing) will mean you shed the kgs, so if you can afford to swap some cardio for weights then do so (as long as you can still pass the run/beep test). Double your current food intake and do less cardio (if possible) and you should be able to put on a kg a week. Remember that you need to be/will be training like an elite athlete so you need to eat like one, not like an average kid. When I rowed I ate 6 large meals a day and never had a shred of fat one me.

So:
@arny01 care to weigh in?

Eat more. You won't look like a T-Rex if you eat like tweety bird. Eat more through smaller meals or from massive calorie shakes.
Some would say GOMAD too, gallon of fullfat milk a day....

This then?

;)

And regards to women's physiological differences for RM and combat is more than height and weight..

oliveoil

Reaction score
So:

This then?

;)

And regards to women's physiological differences for RM and combat is more than height and weight..

Well yes, but also changing physical workout as much as possible from cardio to strength, so little bit of extra info, and as for the second part- was just being salty :)

RedCoat

Reaction score
Yes i am if you want to comment about me thinking that women shouldn’t be in the Royal Marines go and comment on that thread.

And for the advice thank you. I have already started swamping some cardio for weights and cut down on my boxing i am making progress on my weight i am now 60kg. But since i have slow metabolism i am going have to pick up my cardio again. And what would be the best meal for taking carbs? Would it be pasta?

Yes i am if you want to comment about me thinking that women shouldn’t be in the Royal Marines go and comment on that thread.

And for the advice thank you. I have already started swamping some cardio for weights and cut down on my boxing i am making progress on my weight i am now 60kg. But since i have slow metabolism i am going have to pick up my cardio again. And what would be the best meal for taking carbs? Would it be pasta?
Wholewheat pasta, brown rice, baked potato (microwave for speed) wholemeal bread, all good easy to cook starchy carbs for slow energy release and to fill you up. The whole grain options give you lots of good vitamins and fibre too. Good luck, don't worry about it too much, age will take care of a lot of your weight gain!

oliveoil

Reaction score
I'll give you some examples, simple stuff and you probably know it but this is how we feed post op/injury patients to get their weight and muscle back on and incidentally is also how top level rowers here eat. Every time you work out have a protein shake/milk and a muesli bar about 45 mins before you exercise, then afterwards eat a meal (try to time your workout so you eat within 45 mins of finishing). For breakfast eat something like eggs on toast/black pudding and beans/porridge and also have a banana and drink a big glass of milk or have some yoghurt. Scotch eggs (done in oven), cheese toasties, sandwiches and stuffed pita breads make good mid morning snacks and are easy to make and carry. For lunch try to have a 'dinner type meal' so meat and veg with some carbs like rice or more bread. Curries, stews, meatballs, stir frys, wraps etc can all be made in advance and last in the fridge for about a week so all you have to do is reheat (or eat cold) and add some rice, pasta, bread or quinoa or whatever floats your boat. Don't reheat rice that's more than 1 day old if you can avoid it because it will probably get you sick and you don't want to lose your hard earned weight gain down the loo. Find a muesli bar you like thats not too sugary and just always keep a couple in your bag and drink choccy milk or something like that when you can. For dinner, meat and 3 veg should be perfectly adequate, but if you're having salad as a side, add some rice/ mash potato/bread. Invest in some good tupperware so you can bring your big lunches with you to school easily and on a Sunday, help your mum cook up some big batches for the week and you will find it super easy.
As has been said you will bulk up as you get older anyway but if youre dead set on doing it now then hopefully this helps.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Something that has helped me exponentially was ensuring with absolute confidence that my Breakfast is smashed and handled every morning.

So I figured trying to get it all in place at once for the past two years only worked so much. So I thought, actually take it step by step. So if my diet and nutrition needs sorting, start with one meal and build up from there.

Every day without fail I now have a big fat bowl of either
  • weetabix, mixed nuts, full milk, crumbled flapjacks/granola bars
  • weetabix, mixed nuts, greek style yogurt, honey, crumbled flapjacks/granola bars
  • cheerios (since I've no weetabix at the moment), mixed nuts, full milk, crumbled flapjacks/granola bars
I still have to try cheerios with greek style yogurt. I have even hecked in some crumbled cookies. But hey. But I practically have been blitzing my body with natural protiens, fats and carbs for breakfast, when before I didn't even have breakfast when I got up, if I got up -banghead-

So once this meal is a habit, I'll move on to the next meal. Obviously its not my only meal. At some point I want to vary my breakfasts to things like meat and eggs and beans and all that. Like another option.

If you're allergic to nuts or lactose, or both, probably not the best advice :D-vomit-

If not, get yourself some mixed nuts, maybe good if theyve got currants and berries and stuff in them. The key is the nuts. Just a palm sized portion every day is a massive help, add a handfull and youre flying.