Unforeseen Circumstances

Gingersaurus

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hopefully someone will be able to help. I have my medical and interview next week, on passing (hopefully) I would need to complete my PJFT within 28 days, I think, but because of something that has recently happened I may need to put my application on hold afterwards.

I'm curious, once I have passed my PJFT, what is the time scale in which I have to do my PRMC?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The PJFT has to be taken after passing the face to face medical examination within 14 days upon receipt of the PJFT letter/email. After passing the PJFT, the PRMC must be taken and passed within six months or the PJFT needs to be retaken.

You can pause/withdraw your application at any stage. The medical must be valid upon entry and is valid for 12 months after the initial face to face medical.

Gingersaurus

Reaction score
The PJFT has to be taken after passing the face to face medical examination within 14 days upon receipt of the PJFT letter/email. After passing the PJFT, the PRMC must be taken and passed within six months or the PJFT needs to be retaken.

You can pause/withdraw your application at any stage. The medical must be valid upon entry and is valid for 12 months after the initial face to face medical.
Thanks Ninja, really helps

Fake News

Reaction score
I'll hijack this thread if you don't mind Ginger. Does anybody know how long I have to start RT after passing PRMC? Basically my dentist has recommended I get some braces as my teeth have start crossing over and crowding. I'd rather get them sorted now as I can't have braces once I get my green lid, and I'm sure as *text deleted* not leaving after 8 months of arduous training just to get braces.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'll hijack this thread if you don't mind Ginger. Does anybody know how long I have to start RT after passing PRMC? Basically my dentist has recommended I get some braces as my teeth have start crossing over and crowding. I'd rather get them sorted now as I can't have braces once I get my green lid, and I'm sure as *text deleted* not leaving after 8 months of arduous training just to get braces.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
A PRMC pass remains valid 12 months.

Imperator13

Reaction score
Reliable as always Ninja. Thanks.

When I was in RT in 2016, you do see the dentists down there, and the dentist offered me braces whilst in training. I declined as I didn’t want to be stuck in Hunter. However I don’t actually know what would of happened if I had said yes?

Imperator13

Reaction score
Are you sure you'd be transferred to hunter while you had braces?

I only assumed Hunter due to me being in Finch at the time, however I’m not 100% sure. I don’t know why I’d be offered braces by the Naval Dentist if it would of meant me being discharged though? But alas, no idea I just know it was offered to me in training! So could be a chance you’d be offered to in training.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The RN does have an orthodontist or two, but they are unlikely to undertake that form of dentistry during training - after training, more likely (unless ongoing). They certainly aren't going to deliberately take anyone out of training to commence non-essential treatment whilst earning a wage.

I had braces when I was a child because I had a gob like a busted piano - this was before it was hip & trendy as a teenager to have braces as it is nowadays. I even know of parents who have paid for their son/daughter to have braces as they were not deemed essential enough to be treated under the NHS but the child wanted braces "because everyone else has them". Crazy times we live in.

Back in the day, braces were as uncool as you could get and were effectively an easy way to highlight uglier than average children, to make the selection job of school bullies easier when deciding who needed to be duffed-up during playtime.

Imperator13

Reaction score
The dentist said to me something like, do you want braces do you teeth bother you if you want the we will have to break your jaw because it would cause an underbite o_O so I was like nah I’m good :D

I honestly don’t know whether she would of been allowed to do it whilst I was in training or what the procedure was with it all! I was shocked to even be asked as I assumed braces in the military was a no go especially in training!

SWCL14

Reaction score
The dentist said to me something like, do you want braces do you teeth bother you if you want the we will have to break your jaw because it would cause an underbite o_O so I was like nah I’m good :D

I honestly don’t know whether she would of been allowed to do it whilst I was in training or what the procedure was with it all! I was shocked to even be asked as I assumed braces in the military was a no go especially in training!

Just a word of advice from somebody who was also told I'd need to have my jaw broke (with external wiring/frame) get another opinion. I ended up only needing four teeth out and normal braces.

The look on my orthodontist face when I told him what the dentist recommended was pure disgust. So get an orthodontist opinion if possible.

Best of luck.