Uni before Marines?

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I *text deleted* join the Marines but I also *text deleted* go to university and travel before hand. I'm currently 17 and will finish college in 2009. Then the plan is to get a degree, travel for a few months, then join the Marines. Has anybody else done this?

Would it make more sense to go straight into the Marines from college?

It's a hard decision *text deleted*.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sounds like the same scenario with my Gf.. she has aspirations to become a nurse in the RAF.. mm my own personaly nurse... And shes off to Bham uni, Get her grades, And also off too New Zealand to travel with her aunty, And then shes off to start training..

So my advice is if you *text deleted* go travelling, Do it while u can pal.. Do it whilst your young..

Babybell

Reaction score
I have done something similar. Except in my case it has been me going to uni then deciding I would like to join up.

As someone who is soon to graduate (Curse having to do one extra module over the summer!) I would strongly recomend being careful about your choice of uni and course. My course was not very good, and had I been paying the fees you will end up paying I would have quit the first year! Though I have to admit that ultimatly even a crap course can still be worth while if you put the effort in. I didnt with uni and Im not going to make that same mistake twice if I manage to get into the marines!

Having a degree will always be useful, even if you do your 3 years then decided to do something other than the RMs when you finish.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Get *text deleted* uni degree mate-something to fall bak on and the extra few years life experience and maturity will b gud 4 u. I've got 1 yr of uni left, then applying tojoin RM as officer. Will join as recruit tho if it comes to that.