Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. SlimJim

SlimJim Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi there Lads, I'm Conor. I applied for the Royal Marines back in the beginning of 2011 when I was only 16, and was massively eager to start training asap, and had passed the psychometric test when my application came to a standstill because I was about 7kg underweight even after packing on about 2 stone trying to bulk up.

I decided after about a year or so that it would be a wise move to go to uni first as it would give me more career paths in the long run, both inside and outside of the corps, and it would give me something to fall back on in case I was deemed medically unfit during the course of training etc etc.

I'm now 19 and have just completed my first year of uni. Still as eager as anything to join, which I am very pleased about as I thought my desire could have dissolved away whilst being at uni.

I will be reapplying about midway through my third year, so about a year and a half's time, by which time, I will hopefully be more than fit enough to start the application process, meaning by the time I graduate, I will be ready to start training.

I believe I am still at least 5kg underweight (I'm quite a petite lad, about 5'8, with a metabolism faster than you can imagine) and in need to gain weight so I need to start a meal plan allowing me to gain weight on a student' budget whilst training at the same time, so any advice you could give me on that would be greatly appreciated. I realise eat eat eat is the name of the game.

Also, taking into consideration that I will have a degree by the time I will start training (hopefully), I am unsure whether to join as an officer or not. My original plan was not to join as an officer, but seeing as that I will have the opportunity to, I am now considering it. I understand that the training is twice as long and the pay is better which is an obvious plus, but money is the furthest reason I can think of as to why I want to join. The decision is obviously mine at the end of the day, but if you could give me positives and negatives to each, then it might make my decision a bit easier.

That just about sums that up, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

EDITED: The main purpose of this post was to ask for advice to gain weight as I have a very fast metabolism, and on a student's budget.

Thanks, Conor.

2. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

First off, You decided you wanted to join in 2011, yet here we are in 2013 and there is talk of "so about a year and a half's time, by which time, I will hopefully be fairly fit, and ready to take on the lengthy application process". Don't take this as a b*text deleted**text deleted*cking, I just thought it a classic example, why would you not be of the basic standard of fitness (having over a year to build yourself up to it) to achieve your goal? Do you think that once you have got the fitness levels to pass out of CTCRM you stop keeping yourself at a high standard, until you are required to pass some tests again? No? So why not start out as you mean to go on and get to and maintain a decent standard of fitness?
    Such un-preparedness doesn't make you stand out to me as an officer candidate, however if my small and very mild de-brief helps you remove the thumb out of your rear and start to think your "plan" through, there may be hope. ;)
    Good luck.

3. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    It's not so much unpreparedness as a secondary focus at this point. Like I said, since that time, I have been through sixth form and a year of university, so my main focus has been on study. I'm not saying I've just been sitting around on my arse since I decided joining can wait, I've still been keeping fit, but I know I'm not at the standard I need to be to start training, which will be in about 2 years time hopefully. That's the reason I asked for advice on here, because I want to start getting in shape, ready for when I will be re-applying.

4. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Welcome to the site Conor,

Not had a massive chance to read through everything as I am on my phone but best of luck with your application.

5. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Well that's ok then, the reason I replied was you asked for advice on here, not that I have seen this type of thing before, or have any experience in such matters. I see now you actually have it all worked out, and I overlooked the fact you would have been through hell studying at sixth form and University. (after a strenuous first year at uni out on the town most nights) So I should have read your original post more thoroughly before making such silly a assumption, that you may not have considered getting your self used to studying hard and maintaining a high standard of fitness, in order to make joining the Royal Marines as an Officer or an OR less of a culture shock. ;)
    Good luck (Sir) :)

6. AJH

AJH Well-Known Member

Hey Conor,

I'm hopefully joining the RM as an officer after University too.

Just trying to maintain my fitness and shake an injury I've had for about 6 months. What Uni are you at and what are you studying?

7. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'm not trying to go against what you have to say as you obviously have experience in the matter. The fitness side isn't the biggest issue for me, it's the gaining weight part as I am underweight, I should have stated that. I think you are slightly over exaggerating my original post though. You're pointing out all of my flaws and not really focusing on the main point of my post, which is how to gain weight whilst training, never mind the fact that I should already be at that standard having wanted to join since 2011. I'm making an effort now to bring myself up to the required standard in time for when I want to join. Again, the main thing is gaining weight whilst doing cardio. Thanks for replying though.

8. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hey, I'm at the University of Gloucestershire studying Multimedia Web Design so lots of coding stuff. How about you?

9. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Some advice from a fat old man . . .

Eat more calories than you expend in order to gain weight. Stop whining and making excuses. RM type fitness is a lifelong thing and should be an integral part of your lifestyle. Whatever your lifestyle may be. Loads of people manage to attain and maintain a high level of fitness while holding down full-time jobs or studying at school or university, there is no reason why you couldn't spend the required amount of time each day to achieve this.

Please excuse my lack of sarcasm, as I'm in a bit of a hurry. See? Excuses are easy.

10. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    I probably should have worded my post differently. I wasn't making excuses. I included the fact that I'm at uni in my post, not to complain about not being able to exercise, but to ask for advice on buying good food on a student's budget, I should have made that more clear evidently. This was supposed to be a light-hearted post, not a sympathy seeking one, as it obviously seems. I'm not sitting around complaining that I don't have time to train, like I have said, I do exercise, quite regularly but I'm going to be training a lot harder from now until I reapply, which is why I signed up and made this post.

11. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Take no notice of me, I'm just being provocative. What you have to do in these situations is turn things around. Rather than trying to explain or justify, absorb any suggested criticism with a 'Fair one, see your point' type of response, and swiftly deflect to something else. In this case, concentrating on the gaining weight bit.

You could for example describe what you did to gain the 2 stone and ask for suggestions as to how this could be continued/enhanced. Find out the calories expended during the training you do and wish to do and work out the calorie intake required. This is the kind of stuff that people like discussing and could help others as well as you.

12. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

You want some work o_O

13. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Venerated Contributor

First off welcome to the PRMC forum ::)
    I actually live in Gloucestershire, where abouts are you from dude?

14. AJH

AJH Well-Known Member

I'm from Bristol but reading Geography at Plymouth University so not doing lots of cool stuff.

What sort of things do you do for phys?

15. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah, I know, I was just trying to explain what my post was intended for rather than people picking out the flaws, but yeah, I will take criticism in my stride because at the end of the day, people on here know what they're talking about and a kick up the arse is exactly what I need.

When I gained 2 stone, I was obviously still living at home so had the luxury of having lots of food around the house and was basically eating 6 meals a day which included lots of eggs, pasta, and nuts. Now I'm at uni, I don't have a ton of money and don't get a grant which means all spending money is out of my own pocket, and I haven't been able to find a job down there.

Awesome, where abouts? I'm from Kent but I'm studying at one of the Cheltenham campuses in Gloucestershire

That's cool. I know someone studying Law at Plymouth. While I'm at uni, I pretty much go for a run 3-4 times a week, and your bog standards press ups, sit ups, planks etc, a few times a week for about an hour. This year, when I'm back down at uni, I will hopefully have a job lined up, so I will be joining the gym which is conveniently right next to my new house, so I will have no excuses! ;)

16. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Venerated Contributor

I'm from Nailsworth, Cheltenham is only a 20 minute ride from mine. Give me a shout if you wana train man. Il pm my number to you.

17. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    Ah, cool man will do, cheers

18. AJH

AJH Well-Known Member

When you join the gym maybe start a weight routine to help you build on some muscle mass and put on weight. *text deleted* eat and train big to get big!

19. SlimJim

App Stage:
    TMU
    That's the plan. Definitely need to build my leg muscles up, as there's lots of weight to be gained there.

20. AJH

AJH Well-Known Member

That will help your running as-well. I found when I started hitting legs more in the gym, mixing up with light-high rep sets and heavy-low weight sets, my 3 mile times start to fall and it certainly helps with your hill sprints!