Uniformed / Public Services Course : RM Look at Life (L@L) courses

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you're on a further education BTEC/NVQ Public or Uniformed Services Course and interested or thinking about joining the Royal Marines, ask you course tutor to contact your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office to request that your college may be considered to be allocated a place to attend a Royal Marines "Look at Life" course in Lympstone.

Some colleges look upon these courses as "Work Experience" and wholly endorse them.

There aren't an awful lot of places available, however, if your college has the foresight to book well in advance (ie: several terms ahead), you may well be lucky.

Matt2085

Reaction score
sorry to bump an old thread *text deleted*, but I just have to ask:

Is the BTEC National Diploma in Public Services frowned upon by AFCO's? A neighbour of mine said when he went to the AFCO to join the Army after doing this course they basically told him it was a pile of *text deleted**text deleted* and he'd been had. It looks like a really interesting course and I was/am depending on this answer hopeing to start it in September but would have second thoughts if this is the case.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi matt2085 I went on a BTEC first diploma UPS course before joining the Marines and the AFCO didn't frown upon it, but the course wasn't anywhere near as good as what i thought it would be! and didn't feel it helped me that much, we did go on some good outings though, we stayed the night on a battleship in portsmouth, went to a meet the marines day just outside of nottingham, also went on a 5 day army look at life course and took part in an outdoor activity trip for a week, that sounds ok but away from all of that it was rubbish but then again the college i went to was pretty un-organised so other colleges will probably be different

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Upon completion of Recruit Training, you gain an NVQ Level 2 qual. in Public Services anyway so it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Is the BTEC National Diploma in Public Services frowned upon by AFCO's? A neighbour of mine said when he went to the AFCO to join the Army after doing this course they basically told him it was a pile of *text deleted**text deleted* and he'd been had. It looks like a really interesting course and I was/am depending on this answer hopeing to start it in September but would have second thoughts if this is the case.

Thanks in advance, Matt

The Public Services or Uniformed Services Course is only of any real benefit to those who have already failed an element of selection and need to improve their overall suitability for service. If you want to join as an Officer- A Levels are readily accepted & quicker to achieve than BTEC level 3.

A lot of colleges try to draw people in by stating a copurse is worth X amount of GCSE's (they're not accepted as such by the military) or A Levels.

The only time BTEC is accepted in lieu of A levels by the military is at level 3 and only at merit or above:

BTEC EQUIVALENCIES

Candidates offering BTEC Certificates and Diplomas, at level 3 and above, will now be accepted as satisfying the non-overlapping requirement, but the minimum acceptable standards for these qualifications are now as follows:

BTEC Certificate – Distinction, Merit
BTEC Diploma – Merit, Merit, Merit

The minimum standard for A levels remains 180 UCAS points, with at least two non-overlapping subjects. Other Level 3 qualifications will be dealt with under existing policy on a case by case basis.

The PRMC Extra website now reflects this change.

You are strongly recommended to verify the academic content of a BTEC course at your AFCO - BEFORE you embark on a courase that is of little use in attaining your aspiration & makes you no more qualified to join.

The other issue is income: £30 per week EMA whilst at college OR £190 per week net income as a Royal Marine, rising to £250 per week after 6 months.

Luke023

Reaction score
i got on one of these courses when i was still at school. they are very good and a lot of fun. if you talk to the right people you may be able to get a place on one, without being part of a college.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
i got on one of these courses when i was still at school. they are very good and a lot of fun. if you talk to the right people you may be able to get a place on one, without being part of a college.

Yep, quite agree.

Just to clarify:

The Look at Life courses are excellent- if you get a chance it's definitely worth attending.

The Public/Uniform Services Courses are only of value if taken to BTEC Level 3at merit or above grade of pass.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished the national diploma in public services. *text deleted* the subjects were mostly *text deleted**text deleted*, BUT the fizz, the trips and other qualifications you can get along the way are great. We would do an hour at least in the gym, playing sports or circuit training everyday, and have to do fitness tests every few months. Sometimes the marines, paras or army came in and took us for fizz as well which is always good fun.
We went on trips with the army, navy, raf and marines (did the look at life course, meet the marines, and some stuff with the display team), we also did a survival course (which i then helped teach as staff) and a few other military based exercises, competitions and some long walks. We also did adventure training (climbing, canoeing, water sports), and we went to south of france and bulgaria (ski-ing).
And i got qualifications in IT, comms, application of number, adult literacy, personal safety awareness, community sports leader, emergenacy first aid, YMCA gym instructor and teh BTEC National Diploma. And we did lessons on radio procedure, mapwork, physical preperation for the forces, health and fitness. Its also led onto me doing a personal training course in september for 6 months, and a spinning (indoor cycling course) next week.
I think next year they are starting an army cadet force there as well (so free kit for the students).
So all in all, its worth doing for some things, but the actual course/lessons arent all that good. Id recommend it...but not for people who get bored easily, *text deleted* at times it can drag.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Im doing national diploma in this and apparently the police and RAF look down on this and one idiot from the RAF said it could hold me back!!

my tutor got through half of RT with the marines but dropped out due to asthma and he has applied for this but i never heard anything else about it since *text deleted*

*text deleted*, i think its a great course to go on, it teaches confidence and team building but apparently BTECS arent the best when it comes to jobs (N)

:rock:

Matt2085

Reaction score
thanks for all the replys guys!

just wanting to clear up that I'll be applying as a reg RM not officer, so I don't really "need" the UCAS points or anything just looking for something that could possibly advantage me in the future as well as being useful in the application process too :toung: as I'm nowhere near the required fitness *text deleted* and don't want to be just sat on my arse for the next year or 2 (or however long it takes!)

My future career will definately be somewhere in the military (providing no obsticals out of my control) and RM is certainly my first choice, just looking for something as a "safety net" so to speak incase things out of my control go awry.

Thanks again, Matt

PS: I think I'll go ahead with the level 3 in Public Services

Jack T

Reaction score
I did this public services course when i left school, just because i didnt want to do boring A levels. They told us at the time that the national diploma was worth 3 A levels and if you got it then you would be able to go into army/marines/police/ect at a higher level (e.g. officer). We later found out that this was b*text deleted**text deleted**ks, and there was a massive grey area in all the public services as to wether or not to accept it.

As for the course its self it was mainly geard towards police work and some of the lessons were a waste of time (we coloured in maps of europe one day!).

However if you think you want to go into a public service or (like me) you just dont have a clue what you want to do then id say go for it. You`l find out loads about all the different services and careers you can have. It will give you an introduction into drill and self dicipline. You do lots of sport and phys. Go on trips with the college (we went on a boot camp in our second week and climbed snowdon at the end of our second year) and with the different services (Navy, Army, Marines). And most of all you`l make some great friends and have some quality times.

All in all id say do it if your intrested but dont count on it to get you into a service, like alot of people on my course did and bare in mind that if you do it and decide you dont want to go into a public service then you aint got alot to show for 2years of work as most places dont recognise it.

mikewebb

Reaction score
hey im just about to start my second year of the course. i dont *text deleted* be an officer just wanted sum sort of qualifications and this was the most suited to what i wanted to do. the course is pretty boring but i apply everythin i can in to researching the marines so i get mroe knowledge before i join.
so the qualifications i get at the end will hardly be recognised once i leave?? soz forgot the name but one of the above comments said all the stuff they get to do on their course and it sounds awsum..all we do is watch videos =| done a few outdoor stuff but nothing on what you have. did u have to pay for your personal instructors course?? id like to do that as i want to open my own gym in the future.

New Threads