Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

unit life??

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by joeyjonser, Jul 12, 2015.

1. joeyjonser

joeyjonser Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    You hear a lot of stuff about how a unit is while in training, some say it's so much easier, laid back in a unit. Some say the *text deleted* stops and nearly everyone says that doing this or that would get you gen banged out in a unit, But i was just wondering, do the corporals still talk to you like your a bag of *text deleted* and thrash the troop in a heartbeat? Or is there more respect.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

Good question man! I'm also curios about this ! Anyone no any info???

3. bharry96

bharry96 Guest

from what ive been told life is far more relaxed at a unit. and with regards to what you mentioned about the ranks. when my old man was a corporal he played spoof with his section and lost - as a result had to clean up everything after a bit of a curry night. so i think its safe to say that even the corporals are chilled.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

I've heard you can call Corporals by their first name when you're a Marine, but anyone Sergeant and above by their rank

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  5. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Depend what unit, but generally it's really laid back, my brother works Monday - Thursday (sometimes works until midday on Friday) and has the rest off, his days consist mostly of abit of Phys, lectures and watching movies with his mates.
    Due to him also doing a SQ lately he's spent 2-3 weeks out of the last 2 1/2 months on camp, the rest on leave.
    So yeah, It sounds pretty chilled.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Slot mate to be fair, that's not typical, it depends to a great extent what you are doing,and where your unit is in the cycle,there probably is no typical day,but just assume it's better that CTC.

• Like Like x 2
  7. the happy sloth

Hence why I said 'depends what unit'
    Also I only mentioned that's his typical day, not any others.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Not going to lie that sounds pretty close to what the guys at 42 did on a day to day basis while on standing tasks when we had a chance to chat to them.

9. the happy sloth

You may have spoken to my brother then!;p

10. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Missed that bit.
    That's what I meant by "where in the cycle you are"

• Like Like x 2
  11. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Like Mr D said.

It's better than lympstone, but it's not easy, especially as a new marine.

You're not going to get 'banged out' for putting to much butter on your toast, but it's a tough environment.

You're a trained rank at that stage, and as such expected to be competent and able. If you go in keen with your mouth shut and ears open it'll give you the best possible standing. Do the opposite and you will have a hard time.

'Sprog routine' was an actual thing when I went to my first unit. However I'm not sure if it still exists or to what degree. But it's pretty rough. Just get your head down and volunteer for every *text deleted* task going.

Phys is not easier as such but you'll not be a sleep deprived physical wreck (normally..) when you do it as you would be in training.

There is every possibility you will still get 'thrashed' at some point/s in your career.

Field exercises are just as demanding but more fun and obviously more relaxed.

Deploying on operations is the hardest thing you'll ever do (if you actually deploy in your career) physically, emotionally and psychologically.

• Like Like x 7
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. joeyjonser

joeyjonser Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Such a good answer!! Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. Patch87

Patch87 Member

Great thread! Thanks for all the Info.

14. smackabear

smackabear Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Id imagine the corporals still swear at you, however that's probably just standard infantry language haha, nothing personal.

I've always thought of unit life to have the best parts of lympstone and leaving out the worst parts out.

15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

You will find that at the end of training your TT Cpls will suddenly become your bessie oppos! There is a good chance that after they have completed a draft at CTC they may pitch up at your Unit and become your Section Cpl, or Troop Sgt. Relationships with those who hold junior rank is very relaxed. You will find yourself going ashore with your Section, including the Cpl.

You will find you will go from being top of the pile as KS at CTC to being bottom of the pile when you join your Unit. The guys there do not want to hear your dits about how hard your TT were with you, or how difficult the 30 miler was etc. They are not interested in if you were a Diamond, PT or shooting medallist, or achieved a superior gym pass out. The only award award that will command a modicum of respect will be the KB.

What is expected of you is to do the job that you have been trained to do and listen to the advice you are given by other Marines and NCOs and definitely keep your head down. As @DutyWretch points out, turn up as a gobshite and you will get a hard time. Look around and everyone in a Unit, bar possibly a couple of attached ranks, will have CGB on their head.

One last piece of advice, don't EVER call your CSM by his first name! :mad::mad:

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

I may have been misleading..

Your corporals will not treat you like they do in training.

Everything @Caversham says is legit.

You'll be going out getting pissed with jncos, sncos and even officers.

But always remember that they're your seniors at the end of the day. Their authority is unquestioned. Forget that and you will get a dig, not off them, most likely from one of your fellow marines.

Which brings me to the other point. I was beasted/thrashed at almost every unit (not alone with the whole troop) sometimes in good humour by some loon PTI sometimes not in good humour (an exercise in the USA where our entire squadron got thrashed for an unmentionable event springs to mind...)

However. It's is nothing like training.

I miss it a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Welcome to my world!

Not only does the Corps teach you respect, how to look after yourself, how to kill people, (rather well I might add), etc. it is without question the best Club in the world and one that I have not seen matched over the years.

The phrase Once A Marine Always A Marine, (OAMAAM) is true and will be seen in everybody's eyes when you reply to the question, "What service were you in then? They will no doubt follow it up with some sort of banter, but you will see that they respect you.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rover

Rover Moderator

Had a phone call from my son, around week 20 of RT.

“Dad, tell me it is not like this when you are in a unit?”:(

Told him that a unit is a different ball game to RT, being more laid back for a start.

His first unit was 45 Cdo, far away from Brigade etc.;)

Asked him how he found being in a unit after RT.

His reply being that I was wrong when I said it would be more laid back.o_O

“Dad, 45 is virtually horizontal, brilliant unit”. :):)

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. Jogger333

Jogger333 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My lad is also at 45 and although it is a million miles from home and constantly snowing he is loving life.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2