Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Unit Personality Comparison

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by thewolveriene, Feb 16, 2019.

1. thewolveriene

thewolveriene New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good Morning,Good Afternoon And Good Evening Gents
    Just thought it a good idea to discuss the typical personalities we have met from serving and ex service men and women.
    Before we begin if a service that a member of your family or even yourself has served/serving is being mentioned in a negative way, dont get offended, get a grip!

Will put a disclaimer though these are only people i have met and dont rep the whole unit.

Paras: The only Ex Para that i know which is a "Beloved Family Member" spends his conversations constantly informing people about "When he Was in the Army" enlightening us on every path that his career took multiple times per conversation. I am informed that this is typical in the majority of ex army persons however am aware that not all will be like this. There is also a certain level of unneeded aggression used every time they are irritated. However on the positive note when the moment is fitting their dark sense of humor can set off even the most conservative of people. And the open loyalty they display is rather comforting and i would rather one be my friend than my enemy. And will openly admit to being second to Marines;)

RAF non infantry: As Posh As Lord Montgomery Of Wincklebury.

Navy: Two uncles in the navy one an officer and one was a the navy version of basic marine and the other was an officer.These were active in in the 70's and 80's so may be very outdated
    The officer type was as you would guess acts typical officer in any branch of the navy would. Drinks Port, Takes showers 4 times a day, Eats by candlelight and is very conservative and talks about yachting and golf a lot. In other words is very boring. But if your looking military info and history is the one to ask
    The other one on the other hand is complete opposite very much a working class lad, with a very dry sense of humor. Also travels light, eg will make one pair of pants last a whole holiday ( Front, Back, Inside out Front and Back then Normal Front again just for god measure.)Not quite sure what to make of this though. Also rarely talks about the Navy.

Marines: There are more than enough of these in my family to assume that i have a balanced assessment on this type of person. They are very much the Clint Eastwood type very quiet and usually sat in the corner observing rather than taking part looking very smart and clean shaven maybe a mustache if they are extra rugged. But very positive people, able to make even the most awkward and lowest situations great with a good dose of Dry Humor and i have found that the more north they were from the dryer the Humor. But will rarely talk about their "Marine Days" unless asked about them. Oh and as you can imagine have lots of positive things to say about the Paras. As you can imagine when my family get together, dinner agruements are a regular occurence.-banghead-

Royal Irish: I am informed that these people are the maddest in the British Military and most end up in the loonie bin.

Army Reserves: Feel the need to prove themselves. EG. will coincidentally place 30 ration boxes in middle of living room rather than garage for 4 weeks so that everyone who enters the house sees them and thus informs them that they are in the army. Also be careful of these types as i have met a few who claimed they were Marines, after say i knew a few already would then proceed to ask what regiment they were in;). Not sure if this is classed as a Walter or not

Thats about it really, haven't met anyone from other units so there are alot of blanks to fill in, feel free to do the honours or support or argue the points i have made

Queens Guards
    Sigs
    Rifles
    Black Watch
    RAF Infantry
    UKSF
    Millitary Police
    Tanks
    Artillery
    And if ya want post about international units as well EG USA, French Norway.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

RAF and Infantry are two words that should not be used in the same sentence ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

You surprise me. I've never met service personnel of any flavour, Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army or RAF who would concede even one inch to any unit other than their own.
    Respect for others is a different matter of course.

It's difficult to generalise and stereotype individuals although there are definite tribal and cultural factors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. thewolveriene

thewolveriene New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    i Guess they are glorified bodyguards at the end of the day;)

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I had immense pride in my Regiment, but never fell for the “finest Infantry regiment, in the entire Army” line! That’s an Army wide issue! I rather preferred to focus on my own personal performances and strive to be the most professional and maximise my own efforts into being the best soldier I could! I always strove to be better every day! I never ever believed myself to be anything special, just someone who gave it a good go!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. Vine

Vine Active Member

That’s an attitude to inspire too all day long !!

• Like Like x 1