University or RM

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've been accepted to go to Newcastle University in September but I'm having second thoughts on going, the plan was to get through the 3 years then apply for the Royal Marines, but honestly I dunno if I can wait that long. Aswell as wasting ?28,000 on something I'm not going to need. :dontaskme:

The thing about dropping out of my uni place is apart from that place being a place wasted which could have gone to someone else, I feel like if I couldn't join up for some reason, I'd regret it.

I dunno, any opinions would be gratefully accepted. :amuse:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Although I'm not happy with everyone being pretty much forced into going University thesedays. I'd say go. 1st year, especially if you move away from home, is a big growing up experience, it's also a great year socially. If you really don't like it after first year, then drop out, you'll have learnt a lot, matured, and yes you may have to pay back some money, but it's not the end of the world.

Though if its the ?9,000 fees they're charging now you have to pay, disregard all of the above, get a job and apply for the marines.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it is haha
It's ?9,000 per YEAR
I just think if I had 30k I could put it to much better use than a bit of paper that says 'pass'.

Another one to think about here which I put off mentioning *text deleted* I know what the replies will be haha, is my girlfriend, we've being going out for 2 years and I love her to bits, and I just don't know how shed cope, though she said she'd stand by me. Anyone else having this worry? Girlfriends/wives etc?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is haha
It's ?9,000 per YEAR
I just think if I had 30k I could put it to much better use than a bit of paper that says 'pass'.

Another one to think about here which I put off mentioning *text deleted* I know what the replies will be haha, is my girlfriend, we've being going out for 2 years and I love her to bits, and I just don't know how shed cope, though she said she'd stand by me. Anyone else having this worry? Girlfriends/wives etc?
I wouldn't go then mate. Apply to the Marines and if you don't get in, just do UCAS again, it may seem like time wasted but its really not, you take a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

The girlfriend thing will be tested by both the Marines or University. I had been with my girlfriend for 3 years when I went to University, 6 months later we broke up. Same thing happened to a good mate of mine. Although there were times I wished I hadn't bothered with University and stayed at home with her, at this young age you have to do things that you want to do, as later on in life you'll have a wife and kids and they'll be your priority.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Those intending to join the Corps as an Officer from September 2013 onwards should be aware graduates will be paid the same rate of starting pay as non-graduates & will be subject to the same promotion timescales as non-graduates.

More here: no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=48213[/url]

Liam2468

Reaction score
I'm currently a third year student, going to University is one of the best decisions i've made,however, choosing Law was one of the worst decisions of my life. In short, i'd say go to university as long as you are interested in your course and will be completely dedicated to University, it's a lot of money to waste if you're going to study for a year and then drop out.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know if I'd have to pay for the full 3 years if I dropped out at the first/second year?
And I'm still torn, it is something I'm interested in (anthropology), but I'm more interested in the marines, i feel that I could have spent 3 years doing something I love as opposed to something I like, or something that I'm 'interested' in.
I think that plan might be I'll drop my application, apply for the marines and if I fail at it because of a medical thing or something, I can always go back to uni, but if I go to uni, that's 3 years I'll never get back.

OH AND THE MONEY, THE MONEY. :albert:

Wilke

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've been accepted to go to Newcastle University in September but I'm having second thoughts on going, the plan was to get through the 3 years then apply for the Royal Marines, but honestly I dunno if I can wait that long. Aswell as wasting ?28,000 on something I'm not going to need. :dontaskme:

The thing about dropping out of my uni place is apart from that place being a place wasted which could have gone to someone else, I feel like if I couldn't join up for some reason, I'd regret it.

I dunno, any opinions would be gratefully accepted. :amuse:

Dont forget that if you go to the Royal Marines first(if you decide to join then after leaving go to University) you will be much more mature than the other students and you will be able to handle stress much easier. A friend of mine in the Israeli Army, that serves in one of the more famous brigades and decided to serve longer than required, told me that whilst for him University pose no challenge and he handles it all with ease the other students are freaking out because of 'stress'.

Liam2468

Reaction score
Do you know if I'd have to pay for the full 3 years if I dropped out at the first/second year?
And I'm still torn, it is something I'm interested in (anthropology), but I'm more interested in the marines, i feel that I could have spent 3 years doing something I love as opposed to something I like, or something that I'm 'interested' in.
I think that plan might be I'll drop my application, apply for the marines and if I fail at it because of a medical thing or something, I can always go back to uni, but if I go to uni, that's 3 years I'll never get back.

OH AND THE MONEY, THE MONEY. :albert:
If you dropped out during your first or second year you would not
have to pay the full amount.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you dropped out during your first or second year you would not
have to pay the full amount.
Oh good, that's comforting.
I think I've pretty much decided to drop my uni application for now, it's just a case of telling the girlfriend..
I'm not going to be applying for the RM any time soon anyway, I still have a hell of a lot of training ahead of me, will probably put my application in in like 6-10 months time

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not going to be applying for the RM any time soon anyway, I still have a hell of a lot of training ahead of me, will probably put my application in in like 6-10 months time
It sounds silly but try to give yourself a date on which to send off your app. It will give you a timescale to work towards and as a goal hopefully help you train harder.

Kind of like when people get offers from Uni's they know what grades they need to get.

I did the same and it really gave me the boot up the rear end I needed.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks JMC that sounds like a good plan
I'll figure it out in the next few weeks, after i'm definite on what I want to do and when I want to do it.

Cheers for the advice lads! :shakehands:

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Anthropology. If I wanted to become an anthropologist and this required a degree, I would go to university.

If I wanted to be a Commando, but had an interest in anthropology, I would join the RM and, using the benefit of learning credits, study for a degree with the OU whilst in service.

But that's just me.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Anthropology. If I wanted to become an anthropologist and this required a degree, I would go to university.

If I wanted to be a Commando, but had an interest in anthropology, I would join the RM and, using the benefit of learning credits, study for a degree with the OU whilst in service.

But that's just me.
What's the OU?