Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Unsure about how to proceed

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ixbenix, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Ixbenix

Ixbenix New Member

Alright lads, abit of a background. I've wanted to be a marine all my life but about 2 years ago I underwent surgery on my knee. I had key hole surgery to trim down some damaged cartilage and to assess the damage to what they thought was a torn ACL. It turned out the the ACL had a very minor strain on it and they told me that it is now completley fine and that no surgery is required. I kind of gave up on the thought that I would be able to pass the medical due to having my cartilage trimmed and just focused on my rugby. However over the past 2 years all I can think to myself is "what if they pass me?"

I'm currently weighing in at about 96kg. I'm not really fat, but I've been focusing on putting on mass over the past 2 years for rugby. I'm currently quite fit but I really think that my weight would kill me during any long distance training I had to do.
    So basically, my question is, if I was to pass my medical, would I be able to delay my application while I focused on loosing abit of my weight and getting fitter?
    A simple answer would be to loose the weight before my medical, but if they was to fail me on the medical I would want to continue my rugby, so I would of basically got rid of 2 years of work for nothing.

Cheers!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You cannot be passed fit at medical until you meet the target weight advised by the Medical Examiner, so your application would naturally pause at that point if you are outside the accepted parameters.

With regard the knee injury, you should take a copy of your medical notes relating to the condition & corrective surgery to ensure a definitive decision with regard medical suitability can be quickly determined. Be aware ACL reconstruction is a bar to entry for the Royal Marines.

3. Master_Sayer

Master_Sayer Member

All I know is that you should most certainly give it a go. Otherwise you'll never know and it will always play on your mind. I know ACL reconstruction is an outright bar, which is not what you had and the guidelines don't mention anything else so check out the thread below. Arthroscopy and your cartilage trimming shouldn't be a problem as that's really just maintainance work and if anyone had arthroscopy especially if you was already in service their cartilage would be worse. I suppose it depends on the extent of the damage.
    You have to do your pjft 1 or 2 weeks after your medical, so no, I don't think you'lI be able to delay that. I think if your going to go for it apply now and start trimming and running now. Your in a much better position of passing fit then me so just go for it otherwise you'll never know. Do it! Personally I believe your in the clear but hey I'm no doctor but I strongly recommend you just go for it then you'll know for sure and can at least say you tried.

no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=1072[/url]

4. Ixbenix

Ixbenix New Member

Ninja, I know what you'll probably say, go check with your afco which I plan to do next week, but do you think i'll pass the medical? I've not required any surgery or work on my ACL at all and the doctor said that I'd be back to 100% after a few months which I feel like I'm at currently.

The thought that within a year or two I could start my RT is ridiculously exciting! :laugh:

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

We're not able to say whether you will pass the medical as we're not qualified as a doctor, nor have we vision of you medical notes relating to the actual surgical procedure undertaken, unfortunately.

As long as you are within the accepted BMI parameters & take a copy of your full medical notes relating to the condition to your AFCO Medical Examination as advised, on the day, you will be given a yes/no on the day.

In some instances a certain period must elapse after surgery & a target weight reached before an individual can be passed fit to enter. In this instance you'll be placed Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) until those criteria are met. TMU is not a "fail" it's merely a deferral.