Unsure What To Do

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ite lads,

i'm in two minds wether i should join now an keep goin with my application or wether i should wait an year or two years before i join because i have my interview today an the navy woman said to me it's takes twice as much work for a 17 year old to achive the upper body strength as it does for a man because i'm still growin an i've been thinking about it since an it has made me realise that i'm nowhere near as strong as i should be an it has made me think about when i join and what age i should join at.

any replies would be appricated.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, *text deleted**text deleted*ing hell mate, dont let some women in a navy office get you down. She was most likely checking your state of mind.

I doubty hardly anyone was strong enough when they started their application, if everyone was strong enough then everyone would join *text deleted*. Train to get yourself stronger, it isnt easy, it isnt meant to be.

0.01%

Reaction score
Everyone is different mate, only you know if you're at the standard and ready. They allow 16/17 year olds to join as it is more than possible to pass out at that age, plenty do. End of the day if you're good enough you're old enough. Know it is not the same thing but look at somebody like Wayne Rooney, when he broke through for Everton he was more than ready physicaly. Wasn't lacking in any strength either! (and no i'm not saying being a footballer requires the same strenghts as a Royal Marine :nuts: *text deleted*)

There were a few 16 year olds on my PRMC. The 2 that I can remember (were both in the same room as me) were cracking lads, both very mature for their age and smashed all the phys no probs.

Don't let something put you off if you feel ready fella.

P.S I went to my R.T breif this morning and had a good chat with the WO1 there, and he joined at 17. Go for it mate!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
There are a number of people that are under 18 applying for the marines and going all the way to Pass Out so it can be done. While you might lack upper body strength you have natural youth and can bounce back from training easier than some of the older guys. Whats your fitness like? can you do the CV with little problems?

Personally i think the fact that you are aware of your short comings and you are looking at whether to wait longer so that you will have a better chance shows you have the right mind set for becoming a Royal Marine.

My advice is stick in with your application, tell them you want more time to get yourself to a position that you feel your are confident in your abilities for going ahead with your PRMC or request a RMAD before your PRMC so you can get a better look at what you really need to improve.

Just work harder on your strength training and keep on going mate, if you need any help with that just ask in the training section of the forum and most of the lads here will offer good advice.

milky

Reaction score
got to weigh in with everyone else, crack on with it mate, theres plenty of people that have doubts, thats why they push "state of mind" so much. if you crack on and have trouble with certain physical things, the PTI's will be more than happy to beast you (*text deleted*). point is, dont let someone saying you might have problems put you off. Just keep going at it and it'll happen. I'm 30 this year and having a hell of a time trying to get fit enough, wish i'd carried on with my application when i was 20 (went to uni instead). anyway, have a think, and dont forget its not meant to be easy, even if your superfit.

Freddo

Reaction score
some lads are physically ready for it at 16/17, most arent. when i was 16/17 i was scrawny as hell and couldnt put muscle on for *text deleted**text deleted*. im 20 now and *text deleted* broadened out alot.

shouldnt deter u tho, as lads this young have obviously been upto the job and got the green beret.

aside from physical, it might also be a strain mentally for young'ns. its suprisin how much u mature from 17 to like 19/20.

i would advise u chill for a few years, have a sick time, and then u can join with little or no regrets.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As said above there is a huge amount of development that occurs between from the 16/17 to 19/20 provided you use your time wisely and attempt to develop yourself. Personally, I am almost 20 now and i'm in a much better position for getting through RT than I would have been at a younger age. Of course, it all depends on the individual though

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's well worth remembering that a female careers adviser is equally as qualified to advise potential Royal Marines as a Royal Marines Careers Adviser is able to advise females joining the RN.

We all do the same course & all visit Lympstone, so the advice offered is from those that know.

It is absolutely true & accurate to tell you that people are still growing and physically developing up until the age of around 21. In general, though not always, the younger applicant is not as good over the longer distance & tends to be still developing upper body strength and may struggle on load-carrying tasks due to lower power/weight ratio.

The advantage that younger applicants have is they carry less weight in their body, so that makes pull-ups & press-ups relatively easier, they are quicker over sprint distances & recover from injuries quicker than the older guys.

The advice comes from CTC, so you would be wrong and foolish to shrug it off because it was relayed by a female, however I think Fletch is right inasmuch as she was testing your resolve. Many people pass selection aged 16, weighing barely 60Kg but it's 100% correct to say the weaker areas is usually upper body strength on the younger guys.

My advice? Go for it, but not before you can achieve over 4 pull-ups & over 40 press-ups in addition to the CV aspects.

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
at the end of the day even if your not sure you ca still do a rmad and prmc to see what its like and im sure after them two you will know weather its the right time or not, also im 19 in 2 weeks and alot of people have said i will be missing out going to uni getting wasted, friends ect but you will make lots of new mates be able to travel. its all what you want but if you put it of for 3 or 4 years it will still be there. you have to ultimatly decided if its right for you

ill stop banging on like a parent now *text deleted*

S

Sotiris

Haha missing out on getting wasted is hardly something to look back on with regret.

Isn't the average pass out age 17..or 19, can't remember.

I'm always amazed that people so young do pass out. Haha remembering when I was 16 it seems impossible.

Go for it. Even if you don't make it you can always try again when you're older.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Trust me, Uni + getting drunk alot isn't as much fun as it sounds.

You feel like crap most of the time (due to the work) and feel exhausted all the time due to the partying.

Or was that the other way around? I dunno it all mixes into one big ball of over-rated.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
If you/they think you're ready for it,
then you should just go for it,
but it depends if you think you're ready for it now,
that's just up to you to decide.

I'd have a good summer first if I were you mate,
get more training in,
but also go out with your mates.

Joe

sb146564

Reaction score
hey mate, shouldn't let it get ya down. As has already been said mnay 16-17-18 year olds still pass out. One of my friends joined when he was 16, he was scrawny then and is still like a racing snake now. He said its about YOUR state of mind, he said he just cracked on with all the phys and running and ended up being one of the fastest in his troop.
One story he told me was of a night nav when they were dropped onto dartmoor (Or some other similar landscape) and they were all given bits of equipment to carry, his being night goggles. As he was a bit unsure of his position he wacked on the gogggles (which he wasn't supposed to do) he saw three older lads going roughly in the same position, so he dog-legged around them and ended up beating them! Just goes to show about brains beating brawn.
Crack on and go for it bro1
Ste

RM

Corporal RM KIA 24/10/2012
Reaction score
If you decide your going to join now but have doughts that you will make it then discuss them with your CA be honest and ask for help there is no shame in asking anyone for help if your struggeling. if you decide to wait then also discuss this with your CA. CA's are trained to help you guys out so use them ask them questions thats what they are there for!! they are very busy people and sometimes can't help you rite away but give them time and they will get back to you when they can!

M

MTW

if i was you mate, i would maybe wait, this is prob the last year all your mates will be in one place, when they all go to uni its *text deleted**text deleted*, i would take advantage of the year together before you all depart for the real world. ahave some serious fun, shag birds get drunk and the like, then go next year when everyone is gone. but then if you really want to do it now and your ready go for it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The truth a lot of people mistakenly think that because they are older they will pass, which is most definitely not the case unless they prepare themselves physically through an established training program.

The brutal truth is until you can comfortably complete OVER 4 pull-ups followed straight away by OVER 40 press-ups, there's no point attending PRMC.

RM

Corporal RM KIA 24/10/2012
Reaction score
im slightly confused as to why 90% of you seem to think your social life stops when you get into the military! if you ask me it gets better 100 times better!

ask yourself this, can you trust all of your current friends with your life??? if you were in the marines the answer would be yes!!

if and when its apropriate do you have sex, go out and get drunk, dance like your dad??? if you were in the marines the answer would be yes!!

you dont turn into a robot that has no life when you join the military things get better, more oppertunities, more friends, more exitement god what else do you lot want?????

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i've decided to wait a while before i join because i am not fit enought or strong enough a now training seems to be something i hate doin an i always put it off so i withdrew my application today an i'm goin to give my self a month of light training just so i keep what strength an fitness i have an then train hard from a few months then re-apply in about 8/10 months maybe a year when i feel ready.

thanks for the replies lads

M

MTW

im slightly confused as to why 90% of you seem to think your social life stops when you get into the military! if you ask me it gets better 100 times better!

ask yourself this, can you trust all of your current friends with your life??? if you were in the marines the answer would be yes!!

if and when its apropriate do you have sex, go out and get drunk, dance like your dad??? if you were in the marines the answer would be yes!!

you dont turn into a robot that has no life when you join the military things get better, more oppertunities, more friends, more exitement god what else do you lot want?????

it was more about the friends situtation etc...

but good choice mate, and good for keeping up the training and all that, trust me i didnt like doing it, but after a while it just becomes a part of your life.

J

Jason_A

Don't worry mate, keep the training up. I'm 16, and I'm waiting a year or so before applying. This is because I feel I am still developing, therefore my upper body strength won't be as good as others. Although it is good right now, I just don't think I'm ready. Each person is different; only go for it when you are truly ready. In fact, I'm booking an interview with my local AFCO so that I can discuss this with them. Letting people know makes you feel a lot better, rather than keeping things kept to yourself.