Update on Pvt Golden

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Basically for all of you who know and love him, he's trying to apply for the Royal Marines, according to two serving Royals in 45 Commando.

Don't exactly know what the procedure is for someone like this whether he is allowed to apply or not, or to any of the armed forces for that matter!!, with eveything he's been through.

If you could give us your two cents to whether you would welcome him with open arms in your careers office Ninja it would be appreciated.

For all of you who don't know him check the link

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Pte_Golden

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
even if he SOMEHOW passed PRMC, everyone would eat him alive in RT, recruits and instructors. What an idiot.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
My 2 cents worth is that their is probably only person with a sad'er life than the above named person, and that is the guy who went to that much effort to put that site together in some attempt to ridicule ths kid. Is this kid really a threat to anyone? is he really going to unpick the history and reputation of a regiment that has won so many battle honours over the years.

I don't live the busiest life but I try to re-assure myself that I have certain things that need doing before I have a whole big enough to fill it with trying to lower the reputation of someone who I'm never going to meet, or a threat to me or my friends.

It's guys like the chap in this story that make what you do so worth while, you will be living for real the stuff that this guy dreams about. There are more dreamers than him to worry about in this world. You can't go around trying to worry about all of them. Best thing to do if you want to annoy these people, is just ignore them.

All the best

GW

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Right

GW is right guys: You need to ignore people like this and avoid the stone castors where possible too. Although, you will meet plenty of both kinds of these people during your careers and beyond too. Especially when you go home on leave!

Remember: There's those who talk the talk and there's those who walk the walk.

When you've walked the walk, you'll talk the talk and very probably will learn to ignore those who talk dogshit.

All the very best

Steve

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering, I'm still learning all the lingo, what does Walt mean? I realise it's some sort of reference to Walt Disney, but don't realise how.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mackie said:
Just wondering, I'm still learning all the lingo, what does Walt mean? I realise it's some sort of reference to Walt Disney, but don't realise how.
Walt=Walter Mitty, a charector who lived out his life in day dreams, of being a cool exciting person, a pilot and secret agent ect

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ulick said:
....a charector who lived out his life in day dreams, of being a cool exciting person, a pilot and secret agent ect

Unlike me of course, who, as we all know, really is all of those things. Erm nearly.8)

We get a fair few at the AFCOs but funnily enough, after they've had the "wake up call" at either RMAD or PRMC we tend to see them less often.

Occasionally, VERY occasionally, they actually grow-up a bit, mature and achieve their aspiration. Not often, mind.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja, do you ever have guy's come in and say they want to be in the SAS/SBS?.... :*text deleted*:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yes quite a few express a wish to become UKSF chaps, not sure how many make it though.

From time to time we get people with previous SF experience re-joining, not often because there isn't that many in the grand scheme of things.

One of the most interesting guys I interviewed was a Navy Clearance Diver, Ginge who was awarded the QGM on the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster (he got the last survivors off, then had to recover the bodies), worked in support of SF in the Maritime Ant-terrorist unit, left the RN to climb the 51 highest peaks in Africa & the all the highest peaks in Europe. He had an altitude-induced heart attack climbing Mt Everest, was left for dead, but climbed back down from some stupid height. Broke his neck playing Rugby. The guy is a bloody legend- in the Guiness Book of Records & rejoined through my AFCO. I got an email off him just before Xmas- he's off on an unpaid career break for another jaunt. The only consolation is that he's plug-ugly. (But don't tell him I told you)

His dits were nearly as good as mine and the interview lasted about 2 hours and only ended '*text deleted* he said I was beginning to bore him.

(The last bit/sentence is a joke, by the way)
grinser.gif

Edited to add link.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
So who gets the funniest applicants Ninja?

is it the RAF, Army or the RN? I can imagine the RAF getting a fair few top gun's

I bet it's cracking somedays

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja, we know your superman, just by putting up with all us wannabes bugging you :eek:ops: 8)

of course walt's have their dark side too, back inthe 80's just after the Iranian embassy, apprently group's of guy's would hang around outside the SAS place in Hereford, they thought you could apply directly, and of course there were those 2 who murdered a man because they had heard you needed to have killed someone to join :roll: ....sad

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me a good bedtime Dit ninja :*text deleted*: Im off back to alcatraz tomorrow i want a good stroy to tell

make it very interesting:P:P:P

PLEASE

:roll:

C

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
let him in, send him to iraq and tell an american tank squadron that he's hostile... or friendly, either way he's a hamburger.

greenlid

Reaction score
I'm suprised his not wearing the customary desert boots, para reg t-shirt or SAS t-shirt, and is sporting a John MacAleese style handlebar moustache and a pair of aviator sunglasses 8) 8)

phil

Reaction score
He's got to be the saddest person alive, why make up all them lies? It's obvious you're goin to get found out.

Muppet.

Phil

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry chaps, have been AWOL for a day...

From an AFCO perspective, the most common occurrence is someone walking straight to the Army Recruiting Sergeant and proclaiming proudly: "I want to be a Royal Marine Commando". (That's always a good one to watch from the sidelines :*text deleted*: )

The Army guys usually try and swing it around, if they think no-one's listening, and tell them if they join "1 Rifles" as an infantryman, they can be part of 3 Commando Brigade. (It's true they act in support, but they're not Commando trained). Sometimes they'll try to plug Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers as they sometimes undergo All arms Commando training, but very few.

About 90% of people wandering into an AFCO for the first time make a "bee-line" for the RAF desk to check out the 'Top Gun' jobs only to discover an NVQ I in Colouring, ain't going to be enough.

Of course you have to be careful relating to actual tales of individuals due to client confidentiality, however, a couple of safe & recent ones:

Guy walks in with a Chavalanche of his mates, sits down, states he wants to join- basic check questions asked (Nationality, Residency, Criminal Record, Age, former service, qualifications, etc.,). All answers positive, although looks a bit evasive regarding Rehabilitation of Offenders form. Application Form explained in full, then the References explained (Full name, postal address, check you ask them, can't be a family member, must have a position of social standing, blah, blah...). "Er" says Einstien, "Will my Probation Officer be OK?".
"Perfect" was the response.

Another one that amused recently, chap walks in, very smartly dressed and announces in a clipped tone to the Royal on the desk: "I've come for my Officer interview with Lieutenant "Hardly-Worthitt" (I just made the name up to protect the innocent).
"OK, grab a pew" Says Royal, who rings me up to ask if there's any scheduled Officer interviews that day. "No" says I, "Ask his name & I'll double check". Name duly checked- interview is actually scheduled for the following day. "Tell him he's a bit early" says I. Message duly passed to the Applicant.
"You're joking?" States the applicant, and before I can intervene over the phone, I hear the Royal reply: "Nah mate. If I was joking, I'd have said Knock-Knock".

Another satisfied customer. :*text deleted*: