Update:

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again ladies. :)

Just thought i'd let you all know how i'm getting on and to ask a few questions. Since my decision to join the marines i have got myself a job in a warehouse loading stock etc ( fair bit of lifting and lots of walking about ) working from 8:00 - 2:00, which gives me a nice income with nice hours. My method of transport is by bicycle, up at 7am out the door by 7:40 biking about 3 and a half miles uphill to where i work, which after 3 weeks of doing is still very hard but i manage it.

When i get home from work i have an hours sit down then i go for a mile run of which the first half a mile is all uphill, and the last half a mile ( doubling back ) is down hill, after timing myself a few days ago i managed it in 9 minutes. I've been stuck at about 12 pressups for a few weeks now, i just can't seem to progress with them, I'm doing about 2x12( sometimes can only manage 10 ) every day, and i'm not seing any improvements, i figure i'm not doing enough? My situps i can manage about 40.

Just a few questions. :D

1. What method should i use to see an improvement in pressups? the 100Programme?

2. I do get quite a nasty bit of pain when i come back from running sort of on the outside of my shins( i hope it's not shin splints ) or could it be my legs are struggling with my body weight? Because i do have some flab and i am a big guy, i weigh about 220lbs with a height of 6"3/2.
(I apologise if this is a thick question)

3. Is it worth getting myself fully checked up by a doctor, i mean a proper checkup which will probably cost? Because im adamant that there's something wrong with me since i havn't had a medical check up for about 5 years. :shock:

Thanks alot everyone for the support given so far. I wish you all good luck with your training and future!

( If i have anymore questions i'll probably post them here. )

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya,

Cant really offer much in the way of answers, all I can offer is a big well done. Ive read your previous posts in the past and you've come on leaps and bounds since then.

Some advice though perhaps with your pressups you should do them Mon Wed Fri Sun. Or in such a manner that you are having some rest days. If the same muscles are being worked every day then they have no chance to repair and get stronger.

As for your running again whilst your carrying the extra weight perhaps you should run every other day giving your legs a rest. I know you cycle but apparantly you use different muscles groups to cycle or your muscles are used in a different way. If possible cycle to a grassy area and run on the grass this atleasts reduces the impact factor a little.

Have a look at Mr T's post regarding pressup's and perhaps take some advice from there. Im willing to be corrected though if any of my advice is wrong :-D

Anyway Mason keep up the good work :)

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The 100 pressups programme seems to alright, ive started to use it and dam don't you know about it the next day.I find when doing the pressups for the routine getting the number required on the last few sets slaughters you but the thing is just rest with you arms locked out in the press ups position, because while you are not actually moving you are still using your muscles to keep you up, just dont move out till you have done your numbers, i seem to be noticing improvements from just a few sessions.

Edd

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Edd, Phoenix. i'm going to give the 100 pressups programme a try starting next monday i think. Regarding the grass running i do actually have lots of pretty much empty fields where i live, the only problems being; they're full of Bulls, Huge ones at that, those bastards stare you down if u get within 20 metres :D But hey, maybe it'll make me run a bit faster?

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* probably give the bull field a miss then matey, you wont outrun one of those just yet! well done with your training though looks like a good improvement on your previous post keep up the hard work and keep pushing harder, youll get there! just remember its only pain, it wont last forever! :wink:

sjuggins

Reaction score
Mason, have a look at my other thread "Pavel's Naked Warrior Training". It has some interesting ideas on how to increase your max pull ups in there.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a link to this 100 pressups programme?

State of Mind

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

my advice for pressups is not to get downheartened *text deleted* others can smash 20+ and u cant.

No *text deleted* not going to pass PRMC with 12 but *text deleted* seen lads enter RT not being able to do those 12 haha

in the way of trainin if u feel u want to improve at these most smash out as many best effort wen..

*text deleted* in shower
getting in bed
*text deleted* in bath
walkin the dog
at work

the list is endless pal but i found that also using summit to lean on (edge of bath etc) it makes pressups easier but u can do more which helps with the physical endurance in the main muscle groups needed!

Nothing fancy jus getsthe job done :)

SoM