Upper body strength

Welsh21

Reaction score
Hi Lads,

I've just graduated and I am spending the next year getting fit enough to apply as a RM Officer. I've been training every day, which has primarily consisted of Boxing, Gym(Weights and rowing) and running work outs, however I am struggling with my upper body strength. I am 6"5, 95kg, and fairly built. Running/sit ups and circuits have not been an issue, however I am struggling to top 25 push ups and 6 pull ups. I gather this is in small part due to my weight, hoping anybody can share some tips/advice as to how they increased their push up and pull up numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...however I am struggling to top 25 push ups and 6 pull ups. I gather this is in small part due to my weight, hoping anybody can share some tips/advice as to how they increased their push up and pull up numbers.
Plenty of well informed advice on this forum. Hopefully others will chip in with suggestions and comment.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lads,

I've just graduated and I am spending the next year getting fit enough to apply as a RM Officer. I've been training every day, which has primarily consisted of Boxing, Gym(Weights and rowing) and running work outs, however I am struggling with my upper body strength. I am 6"5, 95kg, and fairly built. Running/sit ups and circuits have not been an issue, however I am struggling to top 25 push ups and 6 pull ups. I gather this is in small part due to my weight, hoping anybody can share some tips/advice as to how they increased their push up and pull up numbers.

Hey fella welcome to the site.

You are a bit of a unit ain’t you! usually pullups are alot more difficult if your carrying extra weight but in your case because your very tall your weight (bmi) is perfect for your height so I wouldn’t say that’s the issue.
Have you practised doing pull-ups very often as these are the hardest to learn and get better at id say compared to the other exercises?

I couldn’t do any pull-ups or even hang off the bar for more than 5 seconds back in May but I was also carrying nearly 4 stone extra for my height with over half of that gone now which made manipulating my bodyweight impossible really.

I started off doing dead hangs so I was doing 10x 30sec hangs and started using resistance bands and although I still use these I can do reps up to 7 with it now and usually 30 reps in total over a few sets with correct form and without the band I can do 2.

Press-ups same issue but found them alot quicker to get used to I couldn’t do 5 press-ups arms would be like jelly and just didn’t have the strength at all.
When I could do 5 I did 5 then a few minutes rest then another 5 then eventually it went like this in time...

1x 5 1x 5 1x 5

1x 10 1x 5 1x 5

1x 15 1x 10 1x 5

1x 15 1x 15 1x 10

1x 20 1x 15 1x 10

1x 20 1x 20 1x 10

1x 20 1x 20 1x 20

1x 25 1x 20 1x 15 1x 10 1x 5

Im currently on 1x 30 1x 20 1x 10

My highest I’ve did so far is 30 pressups to the beep so when I write my new workout program soon it’ll go like...

1x 35 1x 20 1x 15

You always make the first set your priority set that’s where you try achieve a number you haven’t reached before so I’ve never did 35 press-ups but when I do I will increase it again if that makes sense? Then the next few sets are to be lower and are just to get your body used to doing a good amount of press-ups but you will soon realise when you’ve done the sets your doing 60/70 press-ups just make sure you do them always the beep and correct form!

This is what has worked for me and is working for me which I’ve achieved in a few months so best of luck and keep updating on your progress!

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One thing to consider is with you been a very tall guy your range of motion for press ups and pull ups will be much larger of say someone under 6ft. Don’t let it get to you and just keep practicing those movements and you will improve. Up your calories, and consistently eat in surplus and you’ll get stronger.

Welsh21

Reaction score

You are a bit of a unit ain’t you! usually pullups are alot more difficult if your carrying extra weight but in your case because your very tall your weight (bmi) is perfect for your height so I wouldn’t say that’s the issue.
Have you practised doing pull-ups very often as these are the hardest to learn and get better at id say compared to the other exercises?

I couldn’t do any pull-ups or even hang off the bar for more than 5 seconds back in May but I was also carrying nearly 4 stone extra for my height with over half of that gone now which made manipulating my bodyweight impossible really.

I started off doing dead hangs so I was doing 10x 30sec hangs and started using resistance bands and although I still use these I can do reps up to 7 with it now and usually 30 reps in total over a few sets with correct form and without the band I can do 2.

Press-ups same issue but found them alot quicker to get used to I couldn’t do 5 press-ups arms would be like jelly and just didn’t have the strength at all.
When I could do 5 I did 5 then a few minutes rest then another 5 then eventually it went like this in time...

1x 5 1x 5 1x 5

1x 10 1x 5 1x 5

1x 15 1x 10 1x 5

1x 15 1x 15 1x 10

1x 20 1x 15 1x 10

1x 20 1x 20 1x 10

1x 20 1x 20 1x 20

My highest I’ve did so far is 30 pressups to the beep so when I write my new workout program soon it’ll go like...

1x 35 1x 20 1x 15

You always make the first set your priority set that’s where you try achieve a number you haven’t reached before so I’ve never did 35 press-ups but when I do I will increase it again if that makes sense? Then the next few sets are to be lower and are just to get your body used to doing a good amount of press-ups but you will soon realise when you’ve done the sets your doing 60/70 press-ups just make sure you do them always the beep and correct form!

This is what has worked for me and is working for me which I’ve achieved in a few months so best of luck and keep updating on your progress!
Yeah haha, not sure if the height is a curse or a blessing yet.

The dead hangs and resistance bands are a good shout, something ive not considered before, and the gradual build of press ups in a pyramid is something ill start doing.

Cheers for the advice.

Welsh21

Reaction score
One thing to consider is with you been a very tall guy your range of motion for press ups and pull ups will be much larger of say someone under 6ft. Don’t let it get to you and just keep practicing those movements and you will improve. Up your calories, and consistently eat in surplus and you’ll get stronger.
Yeah, its early days with press ups and pull up training so ill stick at it and hopefully see some gradual results down the line.

LilInac

Reaction score
Hi Lads,

hi lad,

same height and im around 106kg ish! for push ups i couldn't hardly do one February, I tried gainers which has done wonders for me while yes it is slow progress I would deffo recommend it, basically go to about half of your max reps, so if your max reps for pushups is 20, start at 10.
its done in 3 sets, you gradually add one rep to one set every day it could go something like this;
Monday
10-10-10
tues
11-10-10
Wednesday
11-11-10
Thursday
11-11-11
i do a 2-3min rest between each set

you get this jist this can be done for situps also ive had great success with it, I do boxing aswell and pushups every class are normal its also just doing more of the exercise youll see yourself getting better and doing more. I would try gainers while yes its slow at first it done wonders for me!

Welsh21

Reaction score
hi lad,

same height and im around 106kg ish! for push ups i couldn't hardly do one February, I tried gainers which has done wonders for me while yes it is slow progress I would deffo recommend it, basically go to about half of your max reps, so if your max reps for pushups is 20, start at 10.
its done in 3 sets, you gradually add one rep to one set every day it could go something like this;
Monday
10-10-10
tues
11-10-10
Wednesday
11-11-10
Thursday
11-11-11
i do a 2-3min rest between each set

you get this jist this can be done for situps also ive had great success with it, I do boxing aswell and pushups every class are normal its also just doing more of the exercise youll see yourself getting better and doing more. I would try gainers while yes its slow at first it done wonders for me!
Sounds good mate, ill give it a try, thanks.

Reaction score

1x 5 1x 5 1x 5

1x 10 1x 5 1x 5

1x 15 1x 10 1x 5

1x 15 1x 15 1x 10

1x 20 1x 15 1x 10

1x 20 1x 20 1x 10

1x 20 1x 20 1x 20

1x 35 1x 20 1x 15

The press up section is a great idea! I’ve got my ROP in November and press ups are my only struggle. *text deleted* give this a go tomorrow! I maxed 30 on the bleep so far hopefully i can get max by November!

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Consider the ‘grease the groove’ method. It’s magic, particularly for breaking through plateaus.

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Bench pressing especially close arm (mostly triceps engaged while doing RM standard press ups) will help.

Don’t over train. Muscles take time to develop. Smashing them over and over daily can have a detrimental effect. Contrary to cardio which improves significantly by being constantly trained, muscles grow with periods of heavy exertion, followed by good rest, protein and (to ensure protein is used effectively by the body to produce muscle mass and strength) plenty of water. Especially before bed.

I found bench press and weighted pull ups dramatically increased my ‘numbers’

Sleep is the real secret to maximising training results. You need your 8 hrs minimum.

Get it while you can.