URGENT

willroberts

Reaction score
I start recruit training tomorrow and my face has swelled up massively. been to the GP who's taken blood for mumps and been given antibiotics. is there a number I can call either at CTC or a representative somewhere else who can advise me what to do as whether i'm going tomorrow is still really unsure. tried contacting my CA to no avail. any help would be massively appreciated. thanks

Chelonian

Reaction score
I start recruit training tomorrow and my face has swelled up massively.

Firstly... relax. You aren't the first person to have an acute medical issue the day before starting RT and you won't be the last.

Secondly. The definitive advice on this topic will come form @CHUB! or @Ninja_Stoker

In the unlikely event that they don't spot this thread your best bet might be to walk into your AFCO tomorrow at the crack of dawn to seek advice. You won't be arrested or find yourself in any trouble. :)

The big risk with rocking up at CTCRM with an "existing medical condition" is that you might be promptly sent home and have to wait several months before starting the whole process again.

But, as stated, I'm not qualified to give you definitive advice. Hopefully someone will soon do so. Best of luck.

PS: Don't flap... you'll be fine.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Take a chill pill along with the antibiotics and tomorrow call your CA and explain the situation. Monday is essentially a travelling to CTC day, and all your CA will do is contact CTC and advise them of the situation. Whatever you do, don't get on that train. You will be sent straight back home!

Hopefully, you will be on a Troop in the near future.

Alan

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Call your AFCO in the morning and you will be allocated another date which gives you time to get better. This happens a lot. Now get your onesie and hot water bottle and sleep. CTC wouldn't be expecting you until tomorrow afternoon and our main concern is your safety so there will be no harm done.

willroberts

Reaction score
cheers fellas. spoke to a representative from CTC who said it was entirely my choise whether to get on the train. i'm *text deleted* give it a go. been waiting for this for months now for something that could possibly not stop me from training. but thanks a lot for the advice.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers fellas. spoke to a representative from CTC who said it was entirely my choise whether to get on the train. i'm *text deleted* give it a go. been waiting for this for months now for something that could possibly not stop me from training. but thanks a lot for the advice.
Willing to risk being sent home and told not to return until an amount of time has passed? Or wait until your condition has passed then join the next troop.

Chelonian

Reaction score
cheers fellas. spoke to a representative from CTC who said it was entirely my choise whether to get on the train.

If you had a fractured leg you'd still have been told that it's your choice.

Starting RT when one is not 'firing on all cylinders' physically is risky. Aside from turning up at a training establishment containing about 700 young people with a possibly contagious illness. :confused:

One benefit of this forum is that there are serving Royal Navy Careers Advisers here who have the qualification and the experience to give the advice contained in post #4 above.

But as stated, it's your choice. Let us know how you get on mate. Best wishes.

Reactions: JWJ

New Threads