Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

US army ranger transfer

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Confusedindividual, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Confusedindividual

Confusedindividual New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am a duel citizen British and american. I am currently serving in the united states 1st ranger battalion. My contract ends soon and wanting to replace to Britain. I know Britain doesn't exactly have somthing to the ranger aspects of operations. Just wanted to hear what you guys think of how I'd get on and should I attempt to join your ranks or paras. Also curious on how you would react to basically a full on American in your ranks.

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. Plenty of information, advice and debate on the forum. Just dive in.

Others on here are better placed to give you the definitive information about eligibility. As for your final question, the UK military includes personnel from Commonwealth countries as diverse as Canada, Australia and Fiji, so don't worry about that aspect.

3. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

In terms of integrating into the Corps - you won't have any issues at all. We've got Fijians, Irish, Canadians, South Africans, Australians, ex-French Foreign Legion, etc... Previous military service is normally seen as a benefit; as it brings new perspectives - the flipside of this, however, is some turn up thinking they knew everything and find it near impossible to forget ingrained behaviour.

One of my recruits was ex-S.African Para and he was constantly doing the weirdest stuff - thought he was still in the bush bru! Could not assimilate information at all and this created snags for him, and us as a team. However, this is an outlier, and not what we come to expect so don't worry.

I guess your decision would rest with what you wanted from a career in the UK Armed Forces... Especially coming from Rangers? Closest thing we have to that, I guess, is SFSG - which provides cordon, QRF and contingent to Poole / Hereford. In terms of the Para role - Paras would be your best route.

It's hard to sum up what the Corps does in relatable terms to US forces, but think MARSOC / USMC Recce elements and this will give you a better idea?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep I guess the hardest thing for a trained rank to accept when joining the Royal Marines is they start week one, day one as a recruit. They are invariably an asset for their fellow recruits but the downside is the Corps expects things to be done their way...even if there is seemingly sound logic in the way you may do your day to day business.

Probably the most frustrating thing is assuming you know the procedure, advising your fellow recruits and then finding it was well off the mark. Frustrating from all sides of the equation, I'd imagine.

Procedurally, the main issue when joining the Royal Marines is proving your former dates of service, recent appraisal and performance reports and the written guarantee that you are not subject to recall to the US Rangers or hold a reserve liability in times as national crisis (such as something improbably bizarre like Donald getting elected and declaring war on China, for example :) )

Best of luck in achieving your goals.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks ninja stoker, I did not even think about the recall time. So is that a dead end for me sence I will owe 4 years inactive reserves. Also I have looked up recruitment videos for the RM do you guys actually conduct training with berets on?

6. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

All training conducted outside will be either wearing a beret/cap comforter or helmet. The only exception to this is phys.

7. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's interesting does it get annoying training with them? I know just wearing mine in the wind or even a light jog my beret just does not stay. We only wear our berets in garrison areas.

8. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Need to go see stores and get issued a bigger head then mate..

As I said, you'll integrate just fine, but you are in for a culture shock. British military is a tribal organisation by default - the most outward sign of which tribe you belong to sits on your head and therefore your beret and cap badge sitting st the front is the most cherished item of clothing you own.

To give you an example there are 5 different colours of Green alone: Commando green, rifles green, AGC green, INT green and Yeomanry green.

The British military is also weirdly schizophrenic: you can wear virtually whatever boots, webbing, field smocks, warmers, jacket up/down hood in/out combination you want - but you will get thrashed senseless if you even dare walk more than 2 paces from a building without your beret on.

Just to confuse things you'll also get smashed for wearing it indoors, unless you're in for a bollocking - then it reverses that rule yet again.

I haven't even gone into shaping...

All clear? Haha

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  9. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Plus it's bullet proof..............or so my PW told me! :D

Alan

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah that's a culture shock. I know the US regular units are some what that way but they'Re full of a bunch of out of shape, ball shaped guys that are just for show but most sof units are really relaxed on it minus the Rangers we have some that act like we should be operators and some act like we are just better trained and equipped big army. Can I get some of the typical days for you guys? What does a down week feel like? And where you guys commonly train

11. R

R Well-Known Member

PM Sent.

12. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How did you get a USA SF86 security clearance with dual citizenship?

13. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I believe if the claim for dual citizenship is based upon your parents or your country of birth, it's normally passed as an exception, but I may be mistaken

14. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I have dual USA/UK (British Parents), and when I tried to get an 18X-SF/O-40 Ranger contract last year (and AF PJ fwiw), they told me I'd have to renounce my UK citizenship :/

Either way I'm excited to start RM RT soon.

• Seen Seen x 1
  15. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I did a quick look online and it seems like a mess depending on service, with people saying it was no problem and others with accounts like yours.. Maybe its the careers guys not having all the facts?
    Regardless, I'd take RM than a PJ anyday ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I had no problem getting a clearance. I joined as a forward observer with airborne. And then in airborne was able to pick up ranger and then on. Also my Father has dual citizenship and he had no problem either and he had to get a top secret clearance for his job in the army that's how my family got to America.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When I had a quick look online, a lot of people said they were told Dual Citizenship bars the clearance, strange world eh.

Can I ask whats prompting your move from the US armed forces to the UK?

18. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So I've been looking into RM training and depending on your treatmental day to day. Your training is longer then a typical rangers training.

19. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If you haven't watched them already, there are two documentaries that follow RM training, and they're pretty good to get an idea of the training (although of course I've not experienced it) - some say they are cras and show a toned down version of training, others say they're a pretty good insight into training...
    is one of them.

Am I right in thinking that Rangers would be a tier two unit (tier 1 being Special Forces and 3 being conventional infantry/line units), similar to the RM/Paras?

20. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I just want to make my way back to Britain I'm not the biggest fan of the American people. And military wise yourban military may be smaller and less funded bUT from who I've had chances of talking with and looking into it all your more quality over quantity. We have SF guys that can barley pass the army's minimum standard and brand new guys off the streets go stright into these jobs and most are very very ignorant about alot of operational task.