Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

US army ranger transfer

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Confusedindividual, Feb 13, 2017.

1. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I think a deal of it may be due to our military's small size (around 130k I believe), and the fact the UK has massive commitments, its more likely for a individual to go on a operational tour and also that the teams who train the recruits may well find them in the same platoon or troop as their recruits, and that keeps pressure up and expectations high.

Although there are bad cookies in every pot, you'll always find some people who just are not up to the standard and are a mess, but hopefully in a low dose..

One thing I'm curious about is the quality of the accommodation you find yourself in, and the equipment you guys use, for example do you guys use Webbing at all?

2. Confusedindividual

Confusedindividual Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    SF is also a tier 2 unit. This is what I've been told and this is from capability.
    Tier 1: delta, Dev
    Tier 2:ranger, Sf,and Raiders
    Tier 3: paras marines
    Tier 4: reg army

3. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    As far as I've seen, in the UK it looks something like this

Tier 1: SAS, SBS and SRR (SF)
    Tier 2: Paras, RM, RAF Regt + a few other Regiments as Special Forces Support Group
    Tier 3: Regular Infantry
    Tier 4: The rest

4. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So housing accommodation if your single you live in the barracks on the ranger compounds, you have a shared kitchen in your room with 1 roommate but you have your own room and bathroom. Married you get BAH which here in savannah it is $1,499 and you can live on military housing or get a place off base. I can put pics up if you want. And equipment, we know use the Patagonia multi cam, we have the Cryee plate carriers, we normally never train with out them. We mostly train for Raids. We also do plenty of long walks a year. We use ops cores. Most E-4 and up have the option of scars or M-4. That's the basic also we use pvs-31's and some still use 15's for nods what about you guys?

5. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    All the regular forces use the L85A2, with the L129A1 being used as a DMR/Sharpshooter rifle, snipers use the L115A3 rifle.

Some Units, such as 43 Cmdo use the C8 Rifle which is basically a Canadian make of the M4 type weapons, SF also use the C8.

In terms of like clothing equipment, new Virtus armour was recently rolled out, including Helmet, plates and the such which seems pretty neat. One thing I never really see Americans using is Webbing. Another thing I'm not sure if you're allowed to do is roll your sleeves up.

I'm sure some of the current Commandos on the forum like @ThreadpigeonsAlpha could describe the accommodation thats pretty typical (Although I hear 45 is having a bit of a problem with hot water in some of their blocks o_O)

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

kit.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    *text deleted*. The reg army was just allowed to start rolling their sleeves but as for rangers no.

8. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    [​IMG]
    3 PARA with the Marksman rilfe (left), GPMG (Mid) and L85A2 (Right) with the new body armour systems

9. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I think a few people will have problems with you associating the RAF Regt in your Tier 2. Whilst I accept that there are a few, and I mean a few, in the SFSG, their primary role is airfield protection and should be in your Tier 4.

Doing the 5 miler of death doesn't really put them toe to toe with the Marines and Paras at the bar, despite what they might have been told and believe.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  10. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying they're considered to be SFSG and that was what I'm lead to believe Tier 2 is.

11. Caversham

Considered by who? Themselves?

Trust me when I say, apart from a very small minority, they are not SFSG.

Alan

12. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    A'ight I read it the RAF page a while back, and I like to give my reserve-reserve option some credit :( Its like how if you ask most Regt guys, they did a combat paradrop into Sierra Leone and rescued everyone :cool:

13. Caversham

For those of you who do not know what I'm waffling on about regarding the 5 miler of death, have a look at this.

Their biggest fans are themselves.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So the tier system can work on a couple of ways you can break it up like who supports who and funding along with capability

15. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    There are a few companies or sub-units from a few different regiments who support the Special Forces as Special Forces Support Group (SFSG), with like providing protection around the area they're operating in that sort of thing

16. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So RAF reg gets alot of qualificationselfies?

• Like Like x 1
  17. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Their role is to be force protection on airbases and protect the RAF assests, and would conduct the secruity and reponse inside and immediately outside the wire, for example if Camp Bastion got attacked they'd rush to the scene and sort it, and I think they would go a few miles outside the wire to control the ground around the airbase. They also do security on UK RAF Bases.

18. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Is the RAF just like the us air force where they have the best quality of life out of the whole military

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You got that right 100%

20. Confusedindividual

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yep no diffrence here they have the best locations and the best of everything.