us navy seals mess up

jamesyp

Reaction score
did anyone hear the true story of the time when the us navy seals got confused between local and real time in grenada and orderedin an attack several hours early resulting in the death of many of there own men?

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
nop but *text deleted* thats gota be one of the worst mistakes ever

jamesyp

Reaction score
definatly, the us are always making these stupid mistakes, i bet that helicopter attack in syria was done on us military "intelligence"

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
did anyone hear the true story of the time when the us navy seals got confused between local and real time in grenada and orderedin an attack several hours early resulting in the death of many of there own men?

Heard the true story ey? Where exactly is the proof of this may i ask? I'm usually disinclined to believe these type of stories as actions of special forces are not usually splashed all over the news as they are covert operations.

Yes the Americans get it wrong on the odd occasion but if you look at the sheer magnitude of their forces constantly acting around the world in different scenarios its only natural that things will go wrong somewhere along the line, far too often arm chair soldiers/strategists insult the work different militaries do without understanding the full picture.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

Nope. Anyone got a link to a reliable news source to verify?

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yer i would like to see if this was true or not. didn't something happen like this with the SAS on a rescue to ken bigley or someone but got given the wrong bearings, might of been someone else, sorry if i am wrong.:dontaskme:

Necki

Reaction score
Nope. Anyone got a link to a reliable news source to verify?

After about 5 minutes of googling (ie the act of using google) I came up with a site about the US ARMY rangers which seems to give a brief mention of it, over course them being special forces and all there probably wasn't much accurate media coverage

SEALs are a WATER operating force…yet, they continue to insist operating beyond the water…in cities…in mountains…and they pay a price when they fail. A number of them were killed trying to be parachuted in early during Grenada…and the US actually had to put off that invasion for a day. Later, a number of SEALs were surrounded at the Governor’s House in Grenada…and had to be rescued by Army forces.

under question2 on the link
(Rangers in Combat: A Legacy of Valor)

Ninja-Edit: Thank you. The point is simply that if an unqualified individual makes a statement condemning the military under a damning thread title (which I've now amended), it's rather nice if they quote the source, to qualify the assertion. No one suggests mistakes aren't made, it's the nature of conflict that those making the least mistakes generally win the battle.

jamesyp

Reaction score
ok ok guys calm down its a story i read about lets not get all hyped up about this story, sorry if your offended by it

Echus

Reaction score
After about 5 minutes of googling (ie the act of using google) I came up with a site about the US ARMY rangers which seems to give a brief mention of it, over course them being special forces and all there probably wasn't much accurate media coverage

under question2 on the link
(Rangers in Combat: A Legacy of Valor)

Vaguely interesting article. But did you notice how in the midst of his SEAL-clubbing (sorry for pun, hah) he failed to mention that the US Army Rangers are responsible for what is probably the most famous US Special Forces blunder (ie the Battle of Mogadishu) and were involved in the epic fail which was Operation Eagle Claw (failed rescue of US hostages in Iran in 1980)? There is a reason why the Rangers are part of America's so-called second-tier special forces. Their role is roughly the equivilent to the UK's SFSG in that they are there to support Delta operatives (in addition to conventional warfare). They are not in the same league as the SEALs, so that interviewee is more than a little arrogant. No disrespect to the Rangers in general or anything because they are all well harder than me.

Necki

Reaction score
Vaguely interesting article. But did you notice how in the midst of his SEAL-clubbing (sorry for pun, hah) he failed to mention that the US Army Rangers are responsible for what is probably the most famous US Special Forces blunder (ie the Battle of Mogadishu) and were involved in the epic fail which was Operation Eagle Claw

Indeed I had noticed the large amount of hate talk, but it seemed to be the only source which gave any actual information. Because special forces operate under the cover of darkness, (both physically and metaphorically [ooo big word]), details of failed missions is often likely to be classified or unreliable.

New Threads