US navy seals training tool

Al101

Reaction score
Hey. I'm trying to understand the interval part of this tool, where it says:
"RUN: If your current pace is 8:00-8:30, then your workout is: 1/4 mile repeat time 1:16-1:21. recovery time: 2:32-3:23."

Alright, I'm really confused on this, I must've read the thing 15 times and I STILL don't understand...

Is it saying that if I run, for example, 1.5 miles in 8-8:30, my "intervals" would be that 1/4 mile for 1:16-1:21, and I'd have to wait the "recovery" time 2:32-3:23 to do another interval?

Is it the same for swimming as well? based on 500yd swim

If not, somebody please give me some insight on this..I'm extremely confused right now.

Thanks!

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Correct. Basically all it's saying is do 1/4 mile sprints as fast as you possibly can - you are aiming for, consistently, a little faster than it would have taken you to run that 1/4 mile as part of a 1.5mille run. Then you recover for roughly twice as long as it took you to do that interval and then do it again.

You don't need to worry about getting bang on times and all the science milarky. Just go out and warm up, then sprint 1/4 mile as fast as you can, rest for 2mins30s and sprint back, rest, sprint, rest, sprint, etc etc.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Makes our training tool look poop!

All in all very good. I could do with doing alot more body weight and strength work after seeing their routine. :suspicious:.