US Ranger

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
are US Rangers the americans version of paras or are they a big unit the the americans have in the army

Jewell

Reaction score
Can someone please teach the scouse some decent english???

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You confused me but my translator decyphered what you said for me.

My answer is I don't know. The Rangers are airbourne but they also do the 'mountain' side of things I belive.

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sorry for the bad spelling i am a bit hyped up *text deleted* chelsea beat liverpool

P.S I am not a scouscer i moved here when i was younger

Jewell

Reaction score
sorry im used to northerners bad spelling....

hahaha

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
From what i remember reading, 1942 the 1st army rangers were made up from a US army division and trained under the British Commandos in Scotland during world war 2, they are the best at mountain warfare that the americans have so that would make them more like the American Version of The Royal Marine Commando i would think as they fought in North Africa and Europe and were a light fast go anywhere infantry. I think they also have an airborne division that was set up in the vietnam war.

The US Marines were more focused in the pacific war and if i recall a conversation on Rum Ration they are more of a 'heavy' infantry than a commando/irregular warfare light infantry (does that make sense?)...

Cant be certain all that info is right though as its mostly just from what i remember reading, any got more solid info on it?

Edit : As i posted this Mister purple had already put the link.....Anyone know more about the US Marines compared to the Royal Marines?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
They're American, we're British.. Need I say more?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
As far as I know the US Army Rangers are more aligned with the Pathfinders (more elite than Para version but slightly one below special forces).

The 101st Airborne are more like the UK Para's in what their aims and method of delivery. Although skills wise the Para's are seen as a more elite unit than the 101 airborne with regards training.

GW

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
Modern day US ARMY Rangers:

Only the US Army maintains Rangers. All Rangers must be airborne qualified, but are also trained in amphibious and air assault (heliborne) insertions.

Training includes first undergoing RIP (Ranger Indocrination Program), a 4 week crash course for weeding out non-hackers (assuming airborne school has already been completed). Upon completion of RIP, the soldier then undergoes Ranger School, 9 weeks long, divided into phases according to skills learned. If successful, the Ranger may be assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, but slots are very competitive-the 75th is the ONLY Ranger regiment. Any soldier can be Ranger qualified, but not all tabbed as Ranger will serve in the 75th Reg. All US Army Infantry Officers must be Ranger qualified, regardless of his assigned unit.

Rangers are intended for special operations and fall under USASOC (United States Army Special Operations Command). Typically their special operations consist of seizing enemy-held airfields or ports. While their training is much more intense and demanding than regular infantry or airborne units, Rangers themselves are NOT Special Forces (Army Green Berets) and do not undergo the same intensity/duration of SF training. Thus, perhaps the best analogy would be a mix of Paras/RM Commandos.

Note that the US Army has ONE Ranger Regiment of three battalions. Very similiar to the size of the Royal Marines. Also, the United States Marine Corps maintains three active Divisions-significantly larger than the RM.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Can't beat the 'Low number - Maximum devistation' effects that the Royal Marines produce compared to Americas 'Thousands of troops - Maximum casualties' effect!

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
there was a program I got told about a while ago, I'll have to try and find out what it is, but apprently they sent 5 US marines to do the RM recruit training, non of them managed to get past week 26 *text deleted*! I'm not 100% of the facts as it was something I was told from a friend of mine that was in the paras. But I will try and find out.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
The motto of the Rangers is, "Rangers lead the way." Often on saluting an officer, the greeting is, "Rangers lead the way, Sir." Apparently, it comes from the landings at Normandy. Everyone was pinned down on the beach and a General comes running over, "Which unit is this?", upon hearing 'Rangers', he shouted, "Goddamnit Rangers, lead the way!" After this, they fought up the beach, ra-ra, God Bless America. The 75th Ranger Regiment operates alot in a special forces support role, and, like the Paras, is seen as the unit to join if you want to go into SF.

Foskee:
We do have regiments that carry the title 'Rangers' (not so sure now, with the restructuring of the Army, might have lost them), but they tend to be just your bog-standard infantry. The 1st Battalion, The Parachute Regiment has been put under the control of UKSF, to operate in a 'Ranger' role, but they're still being called the Paras.