Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

US Space Force

Discussion in 'General Military & Topical News' started by StrSam, Jan 16, 2020.

1. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    'Vice President Mike Pence has formally sworn in in Gen. John "Jay" Raymond as the new Chief of Space Operations Tuesday at the White House'

What is everyone's opinion on the rising US space force? Seems like it's a little early for space battles.....or is it?

2. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    D48CF637-9D7E-4EC1-AECC-AEEE20584305.jpeg

To infinity and beyond!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Not really. There’s more to it than just astronauts and space marines.
    There’s a whole range of cyber and electronic warfare involved with satellites and related technology, it’s just that the USA is the first to label it. The stuff they will build on will already be the results, experimentation and technology the US Air Force has probably already been doing.

The Russians and chinese have no doubt got some sort of sub division or branch of their military working on a cyber attacks and electronic warfare on Satellites or even ways to piggyback or hijack existing ones to use as weapons or ways to disorient the technology or knock on down to troops on the ground.

If you could use the enemys GPS against them and guide them into your killing zone or ambush, when they believe they are in a different area or even just completely get themselves not lost and cut off, you could cause chaos and knock on effect on the logistical chain.

It’s an easy target for the media to make a joke out of trump and turn it into a gimmick. But it’s legit and a smart move. Although creating a new branch will just be to justify funding probably. It will be doing the same job as the Air Force was doing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

From my black and white TV childhood.
    Unsure what Greta Thunberg would say about the rocket exhaust. :)

I wish I was a space man;
    the fastest guy alive.
    I'd fly you round the universe,
    in Fireball XL-5…

• Like Like x 2
  5. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Brilliant point. I never considered this! Guess that's why you're the marine and I'm not-jimlad-

Yeah I agree with this. The power of satellites should not be underestimated and it will be interesting to see how people can use this to their advantage.

6. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

I think the Iranian's are said to have done something similar with a US drone about 5-6 years ago. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but they managed to convince its GPS system that a base in Iran was it's home base in Afghan. The drone then landed at the Iranian base in one piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–U.S._RQ-170_incident

Russia and Syria block GPS signals over south Syria to try and prevent Israeli air attacks.

Some very interesting stuff going on with it all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Nah mate, I’m always still learning stuff. It’s good you asked the question, it’s good to think outside the box.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gearshift

Gearshift New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet