Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Use of Steroids within the Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Steerner, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Steerner

Steerner Member

Currently watching some documentaries and reading studies on the use of anabolic steroids within athletes and it mentions that the American Air Force uses something called "Go Pills" which includes steroids.
    Apparently these pills lead to a friendly fire incident in which 4 Canadians died.

Documentary is called Bigger, Stronger, Faster. Can be found on Netflix

Wondering what people's opinions are on Steroids being used in the Armed Forces and within professional sports?

2. Carefree93

Carefree93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I think both examples (armed forces and professional sports) are ones where you have to consider the effect the steroids have on those working and competing around the steroid user, just as much as you do the users health. It would be an unnecessary risk making personnel serve in a hostile environment with users who could be suffering from serious physical and psychological problems. A steroid user also takes away all the hard work that an athlete has done as sometimes you can't compete with someone who has used steroids and has won.

3. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Wouldn't exactly say that it takes away all the hard work, you still have to work as hard on steroids, you just get to your goal quicker, but still put the same amount of work in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. G-FR

G-FR New Member

Going to give it a watch right now. Like Knoxy said it doesn't take away the hard work. You still need to put in work to get the results.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steerner

Steerner Member

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It'll only end in roid rage. It is about as logic a debate about whether or not crack cocaine should be legalised in the Armed Forces nowadays as it is a common part of civilian society.

8. Steerner

Steerner Member

I need to do more reading on the subject but on the particular documentary I watched it explained "Roid Rage" only affected roughly 5% of steroid users and something along the lines of "steroids only enhance what you already are, so if you are an *text deleted* you'll be come a super *text deleted* etc" I'd like to see if Roid Rage is a genuine problem or a media thing.

9. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

Just about every bloke I've known who has decided to dabble with steroids has shown increased aggression. Mostly this has been tolerable, however on the odd occasion this has led to uncontrolled violence. I don't know if it's psychological or the actual juice in their systems.
    There are lads in the Corps who are using them, and this is obvious, not only from the changes in their physiques, but also to the drop in the level of their CV fitness. With Herrick now wound down, hopefully the PB culture of big guns and no runs will disappear and Royal will get fit again.
    Unless it's for some medical reason there is no need to use roids. Train right and eat right. And as has been pointed out, if you test positive then that's your career over.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Steerner

Steerner Member

Fair play, I personally don't think they should be used in then Forces but just wanted to see if anyone had any different opinions! Thanks for the reply

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing roid rage first hand quite recently with a mahoosive trained rank Royal wishing to rejoin the Corps. Upon being told his BMI (40) would quite possibly cause problems, even for a trained rank with significantly increased allowable parameters , he whipped himself into a frenzy of abuse, went off on one & stormed out the building, slamming doors as he went.

He was so incensed upon being told this by a lowly matelot, he rang the local RMR unit, whereupon he was "TTFO" by the USM also and given a quick but accurate appraisal report. He just made himself permanently ineligible.

Steroids - mugs game.

12. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Well-Known Member

Steroids are for the weak minded. Tells a lot about a man if he's using., for instance small balls comes into play! An old mate of mine has been 'juicing' for years he's now 22, and all I hear is he's been in another fight, appears to attend court blah blah blah! And this is all due to roid rage and alcohol, never the less he's a complete *text deleted* wit!! Why do people think using steroids is a good idea, your just a bloated blobby who takes there aggression out on people who are weaker than you, being massive must boost there ego soo much they think there unbeatable! In the real world its the guy that's willing to work hard and not cheat there way through life who will become the best he/she can be.

• Like Like x 2
  13. westy

westy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is an army medic and he was saying they are discharging people now for using things such as pre work outs etc

It looks like the use if even these supplements has become a big no no too

14. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

I have to disagree. It's a massive generalisation that all users are aggressive bloated bully or that they are not willing to work hard. One mug doesn't = 1000's of people with there own personal reasons for using.

I wont comment on there use within the forces, they are banned and i think with good reason so if you want to or are currently in the forces, you are indeed a mug to touch anabolic steroids.

However athletes within certain sports HAVE to use these compounds to compete and if they are doing so by free will i say fair play to them. I'm talking about untested powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding etc

In fact i think they set a good model for a lot of sport with the tested and untested federations. This way we could have those who wish to use competing and pushing there bodys to the limit, through free will. Those who wish to stay natural can do so under strict testing.

You mention one case of a young man abusing these substances, however i think there is a huge difference between use and abuse. They are riffe in competitive sports and in a sense who can blame them when performance literally = millions of pounds. Whilst i don't condone cheating i think a lot of people would be extremely tempted in there situation.

Outside of cheating in tested sports, strength of mind doesn't really come into it. Or at least directly correlate to usage.

Tell a top ranking powerlifter he's weak minded because he uses. Do weak minded people use and hide behind them to look tough in a club? Yes but there are plenty of family men, holding down solid jobs who are lovely, productive members of the community who also choose to chase higher levels of performance be it for personal enjoyment or strength sports.

The athletes i have an issue with are those who deceive others, claiming to be "natty", many of the "physique" type gents you see on the front of magazines, fighters who used (dangerous enough sports as they are) etc

And finally what do you think of men using TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) to help improve quality of life? They too are steroid users. Lots of men report great improvements in over all well being because of this. Are they week minded for wanting to improve there health, sex drive, physical abilities (maybe to be more active with there kids etc) mood etc?

Stokey

• Like Like x 2
  15. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I think a lot of people think of steroids as an easy way out. top level athletes who take them still train as hard as they can, and have perfect diets. Personally I don't find anything wrong with steroids or steroid use, but I have researched into them a lot, and 99% of what you here about them in the media is BS.
    my point is, Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't get his physique purely from test and Dbol, he put in more hard work and effort than 99.9% of people do.

Still, I don't think they should be used in the armed forces, but in professional sports I don't mind at all

16. Carefree93

Carefree93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I don't disagree with the fact steroid users must also work extremely hard. I was just pointing out that in sports where they are banned it is not fair on athletes who are clean.

17. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    the majority of athletes in said sports id bet aren't clean themselves.

You don't think the weightlifters in the Olympics are natural for example do you?

18. Carefree93

Carefree93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I agree, most sportsman might not be clean; take cycling for example. The entire sport has been tarnished by steroid use and EPO. But regardless of if 10% or 99% of them are taking illegal substances, it's not fair. I don't really know anything about weightlifting but if a competitor takes steroids and wins, wouldn't you say that it's unfair on someone who hasn't taken them and finished 2md? That's the only point i'm trying to make.

19. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    yes, but the thing that annoys me is how people think taking steroids is an easy route and you don't have to work and train hard. and I despise anyone who claims to be natural when they aren't, just to sell their bs. In particular I hate zyzz and that *text deleted* jeff seid or whatever he's called and lazar angelov, the list goes on

20. Carefree93

Carefree93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Very true. I guess the problem with the internet is you don't really know who to trust.