V2 Rocket found embedded in mud near Harwich

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
What is unusual is the fact everyone has known about the lump of metal & for nearly 70 years local boats have used it as a moorings. Only now has anyone thought that maybe it's still stuffed with explosives.

Garethr123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This is about 1/2 mile from my front door!!

Apparently, locals rumour that years and years ago a fisherman discovered it but he thought the detonator looked "pretty shiny" so removed it. This is only what was said at work last night. Needless to say, its quite exciting really!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Apparently the V2 flew at over mach 2 and landed nose first, burying all but the last metre of the rocket. Assuming the detonator is at the pointy end, you'd have to work quite fast to remove it as it landed, I'd have guessed.

Garethr123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently the V2 flew at over mach 2 and landed nose first, burying all but the last metre of the rocket. Assuming the detonator is at the pointy end, you'd have to work quite fast to remove it as it landed, I'd have guessed.
I would absolutely agree Ninja, this is meerly the locals insinuating they actually know something. Never the less when i was told at about 02:30 this morning by a work colleague I chuckled no end.

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
Bomb team moves V2 rocket section

Army and navy teams recover a section of a German V2 rocket from World War II buried nose down in the mudflats at Harwich Harbour.

More...

Garethr123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice to see it all ended safely but a part of me would've loved to see a controlled explosion being carried out. Not to worry. Alls well that ends well