V22 osprey

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Im well aware of the v22 osprey VTOL plane bein used extensively by US forces like the USMC and SEALs bu does the UK have a contingent of them?

Sat on camp and I've just seen 4 zip overhead in linear formation.. Didn't think we had any..

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Re-assuring to learn the V22 is barred from flying in Japan due to recent crashes, but being flown in UK airshows.

Osprey has been one of the safest rotorcraft in the U.S. military inventory since 2001, a period in which the US armed forces have lost 414 helicopters at a cost of 606 lives
Nice one.

Dan Felix

Reaction score
They have them over at Farnborough Airshow all Next week... :)

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No point starting a new thread may as well do it here. I live near to ITC Catterick and the last few nights there’s been a couple V22 Ospreys buzzing about and landing up on the training area, went up and had a watch last night and what a big old beast they are! Makes a change from the Chinooks that you see quite a lot up here. Anyway, my question is who is using them? Is it recruits on exercise or is it just RAF having a go at flying them and they’re on loan from the Americans (or another country)? As far as I can tell (from RAF and AAC websites) UK forces haven’t bought any Ospreys and the 2 main users are the US and Japan. Part of me wants it to be something a bit more sneaky beaky and exciting but I doubt it haha!

Sniper11!

Reaction score
No point starting a new thread may as well do it here. I live near to ITC Catterick and the last few nights there’s been a couple V22 Ospreys buzzing about and landing up on the training area, went up and had a watch last night and what a big old beast they are! Makes a change from the Chinooks that you see quite a lot up here. Anyway, my question is who is using them? Is it recruits on exercise or is it just RAF having a go at flying them and they’re on loan from the Americans (or another country)? As far as I can tell (from RAF and AAC websites) UK forces haven’t bought any Ospreys and the 2 main users are the US and Japan. Part of me wants it to be something a bit more sneaky beaky and exciting but I doubt it haha!
There are heaps of American aircraft based in the UK, Im strongly tipping it'll simply be US forces exercising or keeping competencies up to date. I was based not far from Lakenheath and Mildenhall at one point, 2 big US air bases in the south east. Skies were constantly buzzing with ospreys, Pedro black hawks, F15Es, and all sorts of other bigger yank airframe. Even the occasional B1 and B2 bomber. Quite cool to see other, more 'exotic' kit.