Very very bad

LukeJillings

Reaction score
lisen lads watever you do dont run in the boots yu get after prmc JUST WALK IN THEM! or this will hapen to yu heels haha i still had to walk 4 mile home after tht the hardest part was putin the boots back on haha eny1 got eny ideas how to stop this?

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Note to self

Dont run in boots when you get them.

Fcuking hell mate. thats *text deleted* hurt today

To avoid this in the future. wear one really really thin pair of socks and then put a normal pair on over the top of them and it should stop this from happening. well thats according to my bro who is in aussie army.

rest up. while you cant run. you can still do bare foot squats and push ups and pull ups. no excuses hey.

Heal quick

Cheers Tom

LukeJillings

Reaction score
yea the skin has *text deleted* off now n they sting like *text deleted* haha

aussie

Reaction score
strap your feet up. thats what all us boys do and it helps alot.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Got any decent places to see how to correctly strap?
Can't be arsed talking to my dad about it *text deleted*

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* i got exactly the same but had to walk 8 or so miles to get picked up! :P

aussie

Reaction score
im no expert on foot strapping so i cant really give much advice. maybe go see a personal trainer at your local gym and ask them. if not just strap around the heel and then up under the heel just to stop the friction from your boot rubbing on your feet.

hope this helps

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Best advice mate. Soften your boots with VERY VERY hot water. Let them soak for about an hour or so. Then put on a pair of thin socks, then a pair of work socks. Walk around at this point. This will help soften the boots and mold to your foot. One sock will always soak up your sweat, while the other sock keeps the foot warm. You'll *text deleted* remember that for RT.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* not good. Did you run 4 miles in them?

How many pairs of socks were you wearing and how well do the boots fit? just curious.

Some of that Zinc Oxide tape might come in handy now, or some compeed.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
You probably are going to get blisters in them the first time you use them, no matter what you do.

One of the reasons they give you them before RT is that you can get your blisteres and recover in your own time well before RT.

Remember as well as your boots softening your feet must harden, better to get it over with now before you go in. As when you are in you will be tired and fatigued, this is when infection has a better chance of catching hold and doing damage.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You probably are going to get blisters in them the first time you use them, no matter what you do.

One of the reasons they give you them before RT is that you can get your blisteres and recover in your own time well before RT.

Remember as well as your boots softening your feet must harden, better to get it over with now before you go in. As when you are in you will be tired and fatigued, this is when infection has a better chance of catching hold and doing damage.

How long should we be wearing our boots in for? I've only went out for hour walks about 4 times then I polish them.

No blisters so far but I wouldn't expect any from the menial time I've been in them.

Also, without sounding stupid, how can you tell when they're worn in?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
All I could say is just keep pushing them, I'd keep wearing and walking in them until you get small blisters then back off and let them heal.

Just keep repating the process until you feel comfortable with them, but remember not to go through a huge pain barrier in doing it.

But just imagine you are wearing in your feet just as much as the boots and you don't do a lot of running in them in RT to start with. So you'll wear them in there are you are walking round camp.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So, is it recommended to do any running in them at all before you go RT? Or just do long walks and build yourself up?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Rumour is that they teach you how to run in them on RT, but in all honesty when my troop was running in boots. It was because we had done something wrong and getting a 'extra phys'. So we did a fair bit of running before any lessons on boot wear was given, but other troops and todays training may be different.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Blisters always have and always will be an inevitable pain in the ar$e and you can spend far far too much time trying to avoid them and you will still get them.

In the short time I was in Army basic at least 4 people in my troop left, purely on the strength of getting blisters, admittedly they were horrendous, but you can always rest in hunter and then crack on.

I personally never had one blister but I'm sure if I had stayed I would have done at some point, I've never heard anyone say they have passed out without getting blisters.

Your feet will get that little bit tougher every time a blister has healed and remember that pain is temporary and the green beret is forever.

EDIT: and a quick addition, compared to the blisters I saw in basic, those blisters in that pic look very very tame.

S

Sotiris

Here's a secret for you lads.

I've done some military service. During basic we started straight out in our boots for 18 hours a day doing everything what ever the weather. I never got a single blister throughout my entire service despite forced marches and loooooong load carries.

What I did before hand was walk barefoot for about 2 months. I was on holiday on a Greek island and the ground is pretty gnarly, uneven, sharp, blisteringly hot and very very rocky.

Week 1 is hell. You're feet get trashed!

Week 2, your feet are like Clint Eastwood's face. Leather.

If anyone playes a stringed instrument they'll be familiar with the hardened skin and calluses on their finger tips that pretty much numbs their digits to most sensitivity. I had that covering the sole of my feet and then some!..It really really worked. Not only are your feet tough as hell but you can stand on them for much longer.

I also did the same for a Duke of Edingburgh expedition in the deserts and mountains of Oman, worked like a charm.

The thing is most people start training in boots and there feet are nice, soft, clean and white. You have to condition them before hand. I know you're probably thinking either way your feet take a pounding but they are so much tougher after something like that then when they are just getting used to the boot. It has many other advantages, most importantly standing still for a long time.

Most people have never even thought of how painful this can be. For some reason all our lectures in basic were given standing up at either attention or at ease (would move between the two every 30 mins or so) and we weren't allowed to move at all. For a lot of us this got so so painful. Lectures could last up to 4 hours with a 5 minute break, and of course, we weren't allowed to sit down hehe. About 30% of our Company had to go for treatment. It was the Greek way of breaking in your boots I guess.

It's helped me out a lot lads and I'm certainly going to do the same thing for POC and beyond :bud:!

Bish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
lads dont run in your boots at all wear dem rnd the house an thats it youll break them in properly down there you dont do ne phys in boots apart speed marchin til week 10. jus wear them in rnd the house

S

Sotiris

My AFCO told me straight out "don't run it boots, you'll mess up your knees and we'll give you plenty of opportunaties for that later".

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
a quick and easy way to condition the soles of your feet, although it wont entirely condition them, is to rub em with rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit. toughens the skin, doesn't do loads to prevent pressure blisters though

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My AFCO told me straight out "don't run it boots, you'll mess up your knees and we'll give you plenty of opportunaties for that later".

Aye, same, ex-army PTI said same to me, just make sure boots are worn in and bollocks from walking.

Then again.. natural curiosity... i'm *text deleted* have one go in them!
Says I when i pull on a trip wire :laugh:

New Threads