Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Virtual PJFT+ Trial

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Lockerz2112, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Lockerz2112

Lockerz2112 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Unsure if this is the right section to start this thread, so admins please feel free to move it as necessary.

I've just been contacted by a Marine at CTCRM asking if I'd like to be part of a trial for what will likely be the replacement for PRMC while the 'rona is kicking about.

It will consist of a candidate completing a workout whilst on a live call with an assessor. I've attached the document I was emailed, which details the new process.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. browner467

browner467 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Does this also replace the PJFT?

I assume this will only be available to candidates that have passed all other stages of the recruitment process and all new applications will be on hold until a medical is carried out?

• Like Like x 2
  3. sharpe

sharpe Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Wow, that’s certainly innovative but I can see the drop out rate during that 4 weeks being horrendous. I suppose on the plus side with 85% of people currently furloughed getting the time off work won’t be an issue :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

An extra 4 weeks at CTC potentially. Proffers on lads :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @Lockerz2112 at what stage in the application are you at the moment mate?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. StormTwooper

StormTwooper Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I'd assume so. Would think the face to face medical would be mandatory before going to CTCRM. The nurse on the phone today said face to face medicals are going to be quite a while away given COVID19 circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  7. browner467

browner467 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    My thoughts exactly. Wasn’t sure whether you’d conduct a PJFT + and then start RT on the condition that a full medical is carried out either prior to or on Day 1.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Plus the opportunity to make an in-service transfer to the Royal Navy or another service if things don't work out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aliens-do-exist

aliens-do-exist Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    so this for people who haven't yet passed PFJT?
    would assume they would also offer this to those who have a as already passed this.

10. aliens-do-exist

aliens-do-exist Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ignore my previous message as reading through it appears to be an alternative yo the PRMC. it is a bit confusing calling it a virtual PJFT.....
    so am i right in assuming that this is offered to those who have already passed their PJFT?

I'd be interested to see opinions on this from training personnel. thank you

• Like Like x 1
  11. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

All reading the above - this is a trail - and not the fixed process as yet ??, so please dont draw conclusions as to what you may or may not be doing. ! as unsure how long COVID 19 restrictions will apply and if the trail has any negative or indeed positive outcomes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  12. Lockerz2112

Lockerz2112 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I had my PRMC booked for the week of the 27/28th April.

13. Lockerz2112

Lockerz2112 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Also as @The guide mentioned, as far as I know, this is a trial. I was told that they're looking for 20/30 candidates to do it with.

I haven't been told anything else as yet about whether this will be SOP going forward, or even when it will happen.

14. StormTwooper

StormTwooper Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    If it yielded positive results do you reckon it would be something the RM would implement permanently? Or purely as a workaround for current circumstances only? If it did indeed have more benefits surely they'd entertain the idea?

15. Private_Ryan

Private_Ryan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Definetely will be temporary surely.

16. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Its not a cost effective solution. Think, you're paying lads for 4 weeks to see if they're suitable to start the 32 weeks as opposed to a 4 day selection course which achieves the same aim

• Like Like x 4
  17. StormTwooper

StormTwooper Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Good point. Longer term that is a significance amount of money to find from somewhere

18. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

If this trial does get rolled out it doesn't really test CV fitness at all. I bet there are plenty of people out there who can achieve that weak standard and earn themselves a place through the gate, but who probably can't even run more than a mile! Hopefully lads in the joining process are being encouraged to be cracking their sprint sessions, 3 milers, 6 milers and 10 milers because if they get to lympstone only being able to achieve that horrendously low base standard of fitness they'll be a waste of time, money and resources.

Surely the AFCOs can introduce a system using Strava or something similar where they can record their applicants running ability? I understand people could try pull the wool and just ride a bike on their 'run' but the lads necky enough to crack that will get weeded out anyway.

• Like Like x 9
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ItsOnlyMe

ItsOnlyMe New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Call me mad but I hope this gets scrapped and put back to "normal" asap. Maybe Im in no position to comment as I'm a long way off and I know it's because of the current circumstances but if you want to do this because it seems easier or whatever than I reckon it's going to one big slap of shock when you eventually arrive haha. But then again, who knows

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As stated by @The guide this is only a trial which is being deployed in very unusual circumstances.
    The results of the trial will certainly be interesting but might not be as radical as some think.

Remember that PRMC is a relatively new idea itself. There was a time when passing a Recruit Test and having a satisfactory medical examination resulted in a rail travel Warrant to Deal or Lympstone. @Caversham or @Apex might comment if they spot this.

• Like Like x 2