Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Virtual PJFT+ Trial

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Lockerz2112, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Lockerz2112

Lockerz2112 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Good shout @Chelonian , I probably should've done that in the first place

2. Biggles

Biggles Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    How did you get on mate?

3. KingDom

KingDom Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I passed the vPJFT+ this morning and I’m now waiting for a ROP date. Be prepared to do more than 3 rounds, as this is still a trial and maybe increased in the future. Thanks for everybody’s help on my journey so far.

• Like Like x 4
  4. 06042020

06042020 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Well done mate! When you say 'prepare to do more than 3 rounds', did the person running your test say that was likely for the future?

5. KingDom

KingDom Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I was asked to do 4 rounds. At the end of the test the PTI mentioned that there maybe an increase depending on results.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. redmotive

redmotive Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Definitely seems easier overall though more endurance focused, akin to HIIT (high intensity interval training) if you will. No pull-ups and no running though but still, this regime may give a better impression of overall fitness than meets the eye. If this becomes permanent, with maybe another round or so to top it off, then the results will be evident in the drop-out rates.

7. 06042020

06042020 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Think the video makes it clear, but just a question for those who've been through the test. With the burpees, are you pausing on every count on track rather than doing it as one fluid motion?

So on 1, you drop and hold. 2 the legs go back and you hold in the press-up position. 3 You come back to crouched and hold?

8. browner467

browner467 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Yes pause on every count

• Like Like x 1
  9. 06042020

06042020 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks!

10. mackers

mackers New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Pause on every count but obviously when it says 4, stand up again and then repeat the process.
    there should be a vPJFT+ video on youtube on how to conduct the burpees to show you exactly how they should be done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. coookieldn

coookieldn New Member

Afternoon all,

I just wanted to share my experience with the VPJFT+ this morning - and share some tips to help you prepare for the test.

Technical Prep.
    • Primary Recording Kit
    • Backup Recording Kit (Very important)
    • Bluetooth / wireless Speakers (to play the track out loud for yourself and the examiner to hear - and for anyone walking by to take a seat and watch you sweat for 20 mins)
    • Headset / Earphones (for speaking about anything private)
    Physical Prep.
    Prior to the actual test this morning, I practised the VPJFT 10 times prior, sometimes after a long run, or as a competition with my mates. Don't be disheartened if you fail the test during your practising, it'll highlight your weaknesses that you can then build on.

I filmed myself on mock test #8 to watch myself for any breaks in form. I highly recommend recording yourself and watching it back.

Actual Test
    • Zoom calls become joinable 15 mins prior to the scheduled start time - i suggest joining 15 mins prior to start, the call won't start until the host joins, so you'll be in a virtual waiting room.
    • My primary kit failed! Luckily, i had backup kit ready to go!
    • I warmed up prior to the test using the video provided
    • Cpl asked me if i understood the candidate form / the test / if i had any injuries / if i am hydrated, etc
    • Cpl then asked me to demo a rep of each exercise to demonstrate correct form
    • Cpl asked if i had any questions, if not to proceed with the test
    • I was asked before starting if i could complete 4 rounds of the test - Cpl mentioned that the 4th round was not considered a pass/fail, it is used to gauge your overall fitness.
    • I passed all 4 rounds with no fails or warnings

I hope this overview answers some of your questions. Please let me know if you have any questions, i'm more than happy to answer if i can.

Best of luck all,

Coookieldn

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Well done for passing and for posting in detail about your preparation.
    Have you been given an indication of a start date yet?

13. coookieldn

coookieldn New Member

Thanks, Chelonian.

Apologies, i should of mentioned, i'm joining RMR LDN - No further instruction recieved as of yet, i will update this thread once i hear something concrete on what the next steps for reservists look like.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Commando2912

Commando2912 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Got mine tommorow, I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m nervous as hell, best I’ve done is got to the 3rd set 25/30 sit-ups, that was 5 days ago, been resting and stretching, doing some plank work etc since then to be best prepared I can be I REALLY want to pass this. Well done on your pass as well mate good effort !

15. browner467

browner467 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Good luck mate, I’m sure with the adrenaline of knowing it the actual test you’ll smash those last couple of reps. If the Cpl asks you whether you can do a fourth set, say yes and just give it your all.

16. coookieldn

coookieldn New Member

Cheers, Commando2912!

Some more tips here mate:
    • I had a very light break coffee (black, no sugar) a Bagel with jam)about an hour / 1.5 hour before. Did not want anything heavy on the stomach.
    • Get a good nights kip! Disconnect from tech an hour or 2 before bed, calm your mind and try not to think about the exam
    • Wear something that will not restrict your shoulders - i wore a tight fitting vest, similar style to what the PTIs wear.
    • Wear shorts - it will keep you cool!
    • Make sure your footwear is laced up nice and tight so they do not come loose when you are performing burpees
    • Keep your knees together when performing sit-ups! Having them split makes reps more difficult.
    • Control your breathing! Especially on the sit-ups / plank. With sit-ups, I exhale as i go to the up position. With the plank, keep your core tight and keep breathing, nice and controlled.
    • Burpees - follow the audio tape - some numbers eg: 17 are longer to say which will earn you nanoseconds of additional rest time.
    Visualise smashing it. Wake up and visualise completing the test. Watch some RM vids or listen to something motivating before hand (if you have to).

Hope these additional tips help, mate. Let us know how you get on. You'll smash it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Private_Ryan

Private_Ryan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I caught onto some of the bleeps being a tad longer, I found 4 and 18 put me out of sync on burpees, perhaps I'm just thinking too technical.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mackers

mackers New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Same here mate, was jumping the gun on them too but I'm sure it's no big deal.

19. mackers

mackers New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Just relax mate,

Make sure you have your breathing right and watch the technique videos on youtube to make sure your sit ups and burpees are correct. Just don't be overthinking, best of luck with it.

20. Commando2912

Commando2912 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hahaha I thought it was just me that thought that though I was crazy, I just keep thinking “4 and 18 is like a 1 second break” haha

• Like Like x 3