vPJFT+ advice

ScreamingCelt

Reaction score
I'm joining RMR and I passed my interview a few weeks ago then had my triage call but got put on TMU. Haven't set a vpjft date yet but been practicing away. I can get the first 2 sets done with good form but struggle on the third with the burpees and press ups. Planks and sit ups are fine. Any advice on how to improve?

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate well done passing interview. Do you know why you are TMU? Sounds like you will have several weeks to practice based on my experience of the process so. that's a good thing.

So a useful technique is to take a small rest between the sets lets say 1min between each round. This should be enough time to allow you to refresh and complete the next round. If not increase rest to 90s between rounds. Then what you should do is aim to reduce the rest time in between the rounds gradually until you are completing it with no rest in between rounds. What you are doing here is increasing your specific muscular endurance over time. Remember that in order to train to get better at something in particular you must train with specificity. IE if you want to get better at the vPJFT+ then practice the vPJFT+, make sense? For example:

Perform 1 x per week maximal test to the beeps, pausing the tape in-between rounds:

Week 1: 4 rounds w/60s rest between rounds
Week 2: 4 rounds w/45s rest between rounds
Week 3: 4 rounds w/30s rest between rounds
Week 4: 4 rounds w/15s rest between rounds
Week 5: 4 rounds w/no rest between rounds

In the mean time train sub maximal circuits involving all the major exercises to keep you ticking over. Don't forget your cardio also - 1.5 miler and bleep test practice. In fact you could do these all on the 'big' test day and kind of simulate the RMFA.

Of course you could condense this into less weeks by performing the test 2 x per week say Monday and Friday and that way accelerate the process. However for genuine muscular endurance improvement it's not an overnight process. It takes time and a gradual increase in repetition over time to appropriately condition your muscle to take the increased duration.

Also a small tip - train for 4 rounds as many of us have been asked to do it. Best be prepared. Hope this helps.

Biggles

ScreamingCelt

Reaction score
Hi mate well done passing interview. Do you know why you are TMU? Sounds like you will have several weeks to practice based on my experience of the process so. that's a good thing.

So a useful technique is to take a small rest between the sets lets say 1min between each round. This should be enough time to allow you to refresh and complete the next round. If not increase rest to 90s between rounds. Then what you should do is aim to reduce the rest time in between the rounds gradually until you are completing it with no rest in between rounds. What you are doing here is increasing your specific muscular endurance over time. Remember that in order to train to get better at something in particular you must train with specificity. IE if you want to get better at the vPJFT+ then practice the vPJFT+, make sense? For example:

Perform 1 x per week maximal test to the beeps, pausing the tape in-between rounds:

Week 1: 4 rounds w/60s rest between rounds
Week 2: 4 rounds w/45s rest between rounds
Week 3: 4 rounds w/30s rest between rounds
Week 4: 4 rounds w/15s rest between rounds
Week 5: 4 rounds w/no rest between rounds

In the mean time train sub maximal circuits involving all the major exercises to keep you ticking over. Don't forget your cardio also - 1.5 miler and bleep test practice. In fact you could do these all on the 'big' test day and kind of simulate the RMFA.

Of course you could condense this into less weeks by performing the test 2 x per week say Monday and Friday and that way accelerate the process. However for genuine muscular endurance improvement it's not an overnight process. It takes time and a gradual increase in repetition over time to appropriately condition your muscle to take the increased duration.

Also a small tip - train for 4 rounds as many of us have been asked to do it. Best be prepared. Hope this helps.

Biggles
Cheers mate. I was TMU because they wanted to know more about a cough I had when I was younger and the medication I took for it, I should be grand it was nothing serious but I’m sure they’re just being thorough. The medical stuff has been a bit of a nightmare with it taking forever to sort out but they told me the next ROP for RMR isn’t until September so I’m not stressing about it.

That sounds like a good plan think my problem is trying to rush things when you have to gradually build it. Thanks a lot!

ScreamingCelt

Reaction score
Christ *text deleted* I know my gp has sent on the forms to the medical staff, any idea of how long they take to process it all?

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can take a while mate, anything from weeks to months. But thats a good thing - more time to prepare.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The guide VPJFT & ROP fitness guides Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions 26
T VPJFT Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 18
E VPJFT RMR Section and RMR Selection 5