vPJFT Fail

craner

Reaction score
Evening,
This afternoon I had my vPJFT which I completed 3 rounds of however due to my visible fatiguing and increasingly sloppy form after the second round it was recommended that I have a retry in 2 weeks time.

First thoughts before going in, I wrongfully assumed that it was a ‘get through it’ test & I was wrong. You need to be meticulous with your form, you will be critically assessed, so anyone heading into it, don’t be like me and assume you just need to get through it, your form needs to be spot on.

Personally I slacked on the plank, leaving my hips too high, my sit ups - my knees strayed apart in some reps, this was picked up by the PTI so make sure you really focus on every rep, the 18th/19th rep needs to be as closely perfect to the 1st.

I hope this helps if anyone is unsure what to expect / how ready you may be for the assessment.

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
A good honest write up!! But you were warned ;),

craner

Reaction score
Should’ve listened, ey !
2 weeks will be plenty to brush up on the form, was a shame to be told it wasn’t good enough but it was certainly understandable.

I thought if this can help even 1 person, it was worth writing.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Should’ve listened, ey !
2 weeks will be plenty to brush up on the form, was a shame to be told it wasn’t good enough but it was certainly understandable.

No doubt just the first of (I'm sure) many mentality checks.

Not in a military environment but I've asked people to come back for second interviews, knowing they were good enough after the first, just to see how they reacted.

I'm sure you'll crack the second one as it seems like you've got the right approach to the knockback!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hopefully it will be a wake-up-call for others. Best wishes for the next one. Let us know how you get on.

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
Evening,
This afternoon I had my vPJFT which I completed 3 rounds of however due to my visible fatiguing and increasingly sloppy form after the second round it was recommended that I have a retry in 2 weeks time.

First thoughts before going in, I wrongfully assumed that it was a ‘get through it’ test & I was wrong. You need to be meticulous with your form, you will be critically assessed, so anyone heading into it, don’t be like me and assume you just need to get through it, your form needs to be spot on.

Personally I slacked on the plank, leaving my hips too high, my sit ups - my knees strayed apart in some reps, this was picked up by the PTI so make sure you really focus on every rep, the 18th/19th rep needs to be as closely perfect to the 1st.

I hope this helps if anyone is unsure what to expect / how ready you may be for the assessment.
Appreciate the honest insight and sorry to hear you didn't pass mate.

Sounds like it's given you the right nudge to crack it next time round I'm sure you'll smash it.

I really want to do mine but currently TMU. Will be my turn eventually!

Best of luck mate

Lemon

Reaction score
This is good advice, I have been told to book it when im ready, and I assumed it was a "get through it to pass" kind of thing, now I know I have a ways to go

Edit: typo

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
Well done as soon as official results in ROP will be bid for by the AFCO -

craner

Reaction score
Fantastic news mate well done!! Any further tips?
Thank you very much!
I personally found separating the movements helped a lot, for example I’d do 30 reps of burpees, into the PRMC fitness tests one straight after another ( sit ups then press-ups ) That would be a best effort, Then put a stop watch on and do a plank, don’t look at the stopwatch just keep going until you’re physically done, rest up for 2/3 minutes and go again, repeat for a total of 3/4 circuits, everyone has different limits, but ensure form is the priority, don’t cheat yourself, it’s not worth it in the long run.

another day do the PJFT in its entirety and then best effort after that, just keep going and progress will follow!

everyone has different fitness levels it’s all about progressive overload.

When it comes to it, trust your ability it’s only 15 minutes of exercise when it comes down to it, once your heads in the right place, success will follow