vPJFT help/training plan

future-commando

Reaction score
Hello all,
My CA called me yesterday and asked me if I was ready to take the vPJFT. Plain answer, I said no! He insists I book it in a months time if I'm ready, understandably he wants my application moved forward. I have been training on it around my running, cycling etc for around just over a month. I can barely complete 2 rounds and my form is shocking. Once I get to about 20 sit ups in round 2 I'm hanging out my backside trying to breath and complete the exercise. I can push through and finish a second round but I look like a ragdoll. I struggle to keep in time with the beep. There's no hope of me completing the third round. I can only train before 2pm as I work until 10pm full time and pretty much go to sleep when I get in so I can wake up early to train. Has anyone got any training plans that will help me pass it? It's mainly trying to maintain my breathing and form throughout. Any help is massively appreciated.

craner

Reaction score
Try doing 4/5 rounds of the vPJFT with 90-120 seconds rest between each set then as you get stronger with the fitness test, decrease the rest between sets and before you know it you should find it a breeze.

Simply, if you struggle in any area, you just need to do more of that exercise to improve.
Focus on your breathing throughout and keep it under control so you’re not exhausting yourself with erratic breathing.

You’ll see progress if you keep at it and draw positives from each session getting closer to completion.
Hope this helps

future-commando

Reaction score
Try doing 4/5 rounds of the vPJFT with 90-120 seconds rest between each set then as you get stronger with the fitness test, decrease the rest between sets and before you know it you should find it a breeze.

Simply, if you struggle in any area, you just need to do more of that exercise to improve.
Focus on your breathing throughout and keep it under control so you’re not exhausting yourself with erratic breathing.

You’ll see progress if you keep at it and draw positives from each session getting closer to completion.
Hope this helps
Thanks alot! I'll give this a crack tomorrow and see how it goes.

Jrod7

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Practice the pjft maybe once or twice a week, but instead of doing the 20 burpees 30 sit ups 20 press ups and a minute plank, just do 10 burpees, maybe 15 sit ups, 10 press ups and 30 seconds plank. Then add a couple of reps to each exercise every so many days so that you've got progressive overload. Also don't just train the pjft, try and get some other kind of circuots done but focus on adding in lots of press ups sit ups and burpees and some other form of strength training. Hopefully within a month you'll be smashing all 3 rounds

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
My CA called me yesterday and asked me if I was ready to take the vPJFT. Plain answer, I said no! He insists I book it in a months time if I'm ready, understandably he wants my application moved forward. I have been training on it around my running, cycling etc for around just over a month. I can barely complete 2 rounds and my form is shocking. Once I get to about 20 sit ups in round 2 I'm hanging out my backside trying to breath and complete the exercise. I can push through and finish a second round but I look like a ragdoll. I struggle to keep in time with the beep. There's no hope of me completing the third round. I can only train before 2pm as I work until 10pm full time and pretty much go to sleep when I get in so I can wake up early to train. Has anyone got any training plans that will help me pass it? It's mainly trying to maintain my breathing and form throughout. Any help is massively appreciated.
Whats your individual scores like with the press/sit-ups? If there not very high numbers then your going to struggle with the vPJFT when you have to add burpees and the plank and then do 3x sets with no rest.
It doesn’t matter if you do complete 5 sets if your form is terrible throughout you will fail on that so what I do myself is what @Jrod7 has suggested is do the vPJFT but half the reps so maybe do 10x reps of each exercise over 4/5 sets or until your form goes or 15x reps of each over 3/4 sets.
But I’d start with less reps and if your form is good over the 3 sets then start increasing the reps over each time you test it.
I wouldn’t say 4 weeks is enough time given the information you have said just be honest with your CA and request more time if you need it no point putting all that pressure on yourself to smash it out in 4 weeks as itl be hard to improve that much in a short time frame.

Best if luck

Chelonian

Reaction score
He insists I book it in a months time if I'm ready, understandably he wants my application moved forward.
I am not a Careers Adviser so @The guide might comment if he spots this.

As I understand it once an application is initiated it should progress in an efficient and timely manner. A process which your CA is accountable for. If you are digging out blind with your training but truly believe that you require more time speak with your CA and request that your application is 'paused'. This takes the pressure off your CA and does not impose a penalty.

Obviously a candidate who repeatedly pauses an application will have his or her commitment questioned.

If I were forty years younger I would speak with my CA, explain circumstances and seek advice. Be honest and maintain good comms.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Taking your VPJFT should take place once you have indicated to you AFCO you are ready to take it, and as pointed out without to much delay, some may be required in some cases - other aspect s will come into play here
1. How long has your application been active if several months, the simple question is why are you not ready??

2 . What did you claim in your interview? Some candidates shall we say exaggerate what they actually do and then come unstuck when asked to do it.

3 Posted this as a thread- the application process is not a period for applicants to get fit!! It's the Royal Marines that you are applying for so you should be fit already, and in context, VPJFT is not hard, so maybe ? you simply put your application before you should have?!

All the above said may not apply to you, just putting the other side of the coin out there- simply be honest with him tell him you won't pass if that's the case and he will delay.

As for working, this is going to sound harsh, but little sympathy to be honest, if you want it enough you will spend the required time 30-60 mins 4 times a week to get it cracked and sleep less if required...:(..good training either way for CTC.

Loads of posts with training tips , if breathing is the issue search out some exercise breath control vidoes on youtube.

But to re-iterate just be honest with your CA!! Best of luck

Last edited:

future-commando

Reaction score
Taking your VPJFT should take place once you have indicated to you AFCO you are ready to take it , and as pointed out without to much delay , some may be required in some cases - other aspect s will come into play here
1. How long has you application been active if several months , the simple question is why are you not ready??
2 . What did you claim in your interview ? Some candidates shal we say exaggerate what they actually do and then come unstuck when asked to do it
3 Posted this as a thread- the application process is not a period for applicants to get fit!! It's the Royal Marines that you are applying for so you should be fit already, and in context VPJFT is not hard, so maybe you simply put you application before you should have?!

All the above said may not apply to you , just putting the other side of the coin out there- simply be honest with him tell him you won't pass if that's the case and he will delay.

As for working , this is going to sound harsh, but little sympathy to be honest if you want it enough you will spend the required time 30-60 mins 4 times a week to get it cracked , and sleep less if required

Loads of posts with trading tips , if breathing is the issue search out some exercise breath control vid in you tube.
But to re-iterate just be honest with you CA!! Best of luck
I didn't tell my CA I was ready, he basically said to me I can't progress to medical till vpjft is out the way and wanted to know if I was ready. I was as honest as I could be and said 2 rounds is all I'm able to currently do.

I have been on application since June I believe. I focused to much on running and not alot of time spent of strength training. Once I found out about the Vpjft I obviously started training on it but 2 weeks in I sustained an injury during running. Don't know exactly what happened but managed to put my knee out and couldn't exercise for 4 weeks. Yes you may be right I probably wasn't as fit as I should have been when I joined up although I thought I was. My form lacks on burpees more than anything and my breathing isn't controlled very well perhaps that's why I can't get through the 3rd round. I don't think I need to postpone any longer than 2 months at most as I believe I can be at the required level by then. Once I get my breathing under control I should be able to crack a third round and Improve my form.

Thanks for the info.

future-commando

Reaction score
Whats your individual scores like with the press/sit-ups? If there not very high numbers then your going to struggle with the vPJFT when you have to add burpees and the plank and then do 3x sets with no rest.
It doesn’t matter if you do complete 5 sets if your form is terrible throughout you will fail on that so what I do myself is what @Jrod7 has suggested is do the vPJFT but half the reps so maybe do 10x reps of each exercise over 4/5 sets or until your form goes or 15x reps of each over 3/4 sets.
But I’d start with less reps and if your form is good over the 3 sets then start increasing the reps over each time you test it.
I wouldn’t say 4 weeks is enough time given the information you have said just be honest with your CA and request more time if you need it no point putting all that pressure on yourself to smash it out in 4 weeks as itl be hard to improve that much in a short time frame.

Best if luck
I skipped out on a lot. Of strength training so that really doesn't go in my favour. Pressups 42, situps 60. When it comes to things like rope climbs etc I'm like a monkey but basic bodyweight exercises are my weak point. I will push through with pure grit and determination eventually. I will try what was suggested and I will see how I progress. Perhaps it's a mental block holding me back.

future-commando

Reaction score
Practice the pjft maybe once or twice a week, but instead of doing the 20 burpees 30 sit ups 20 press ups and a minute plank, just do 10 burpees, maybe 15 sit ups, 10 press ups and 30 seconds plank. Then add a couple of reps to each exercise every so many days so that you've got progressive overload. Also don't just train the pjft, try and get some other kind of circuots done but focus on adding in lots of press ups sit ups and burpees and some other form of strength training. Hopefully within a month you'll be smashing all 3 rounds
Thank you for this

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I skipped out on a lot. Of strength training so that really doesn't go in my favour. Pressups 42, situps 60. When it comes to things like rope climbs etc I'm like a monkey but basic bodyweight exercises are my weak point. I will push through with pure grit and determination eventually. I will try what was suggested and I will see how I progress. Perhaps it's a mental block holding me back.
It’s just one of those things mate unless you do something regularly you will never improve on them I have the same issue with pull-ups never trained them but doing them 4 times a week now to get used to the, same with anything really!
I wouldn’t say it’s a mental block certain things you have to be physically capable of doing and I’m sure if you stick to doing those bodyweight exercises more often now you will smash the vPJFT but don’t put to much pressure on yourself just have a talk with your CA to let them know you need more time if needed!

future-commando

Reaction score
It’s just one of those things mate unless you do something regularly you will never improve on them I have the same issue with pull-ups never trained them but doing them 4 times a week now to get used to the, same with anything really!
I wouldn’t say it’s a mental block certain things you have to be physically capable of doing and I’m sure if you stick to doing those bodyweight exercises more often now you will smash the vPJFT but don’t put to much pressure on yourself just have a talk with your CA to let them know you need more time if needed!
Cheers mate, sound advice.