Vpjft in 3 months

Moht131

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I passed the interview a few days back and due to my fitness (or lack of it) I've been given 3 months to train for the vpjft, I'm currently starting a 3 month plan given to me by my AFCO which was the old 3 month prmc training guide. Today I did a mock run through of the vpjft and my scores were 20 burpees, 24 sit ups, 14 push ups and I barely completed the plank on the first run through. So my main question is will I be able to be fit enough in 3 months following this plan or do I need to supplement it with more exercises in between as well.
Thanks

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Hi mate.

You’ll be fine. 3 months is plenty of time. Just be consistent, push yourself, eat well and prioritise rest and recovery! Also, don’t *text deleted*. If you have a bad training day and only get half of the numbers you did on a previous session, accept it and move on. Don’t inflate numbers to make yourself feel better.

Keep us posted!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey fella I’m sure 3 months will be more than enough time of your make that your priority!

You need to give other information so people can give better advice.
Such as..

What’s your current weight like which can make a massive difference if your on the heavy side. Also what’s your other stats like press/sit-ups as well as how much you running or what’s your times like with that?
You need to have some endurance to be able to pass the vPJFT it’s not really just based on the individual scores alone.

jordthewhat

Reaction score
Do you think that the vpjft will still be going on in 3 months? Or change to a different kind of test once covid is over?

Moht131

Reaction score
Hi mate.

You’ll be fine. 3 months is plenty of time. Just be consistent, push yourself, eat well and prioritise rest and recovery! Also, don’t *text deleted*. If you have a bad training day and only get half of the numbers you did on a previous session, accept it and move on. Don’t inflate numbers to make yourself feel better.

Keep us posted!
I'll keep that in mind cheers and will do!

Moht131

Reaction score
Hey fella I’m sure 3 months will be more than enough time of your make that your priority!

You need to give other information so people can give better advice.
Such as..

What’s your current weight like which can make a massive difference if your on the heavy side. Also what’s your other stats like press/sit-ups as well as how much you running or what’s your times like with that?
You need to have some endurance to be able to pass the vPJFT it’s not really just based on the individual scores alone.
Alright cheers, I'm 80kg at 180cm, with my running I haven't done 2 1.5 miles in a while since I joined a running club and being doing 5ks there which I've got down from barely running a mile to doing 5k in 30 mins. Press ups I normally max out around 28-32 and sit ups I don't have an exact number as I can keep going for a long time but I can't keep up with the beep when doing the tests.

Moht131

Reaction score
Do you think that the vpjft will still be going on in 3 months? Or change to a different kind of test once covid is over?
I'm assuming it's going to keep going as that's what I've been told to train for and I'm assuming covid isn't going to be gone in 3 months. When covid is over I'm assuming they'll keep the pjft in the same circuit style but maybe not virtual? I got no clue but I do feel like it's a better test than the old pjft along with the ROP.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Train for VPJFT as it is the current protocol.
Speculating about what might change is pointless because nobody knows.
Focus on the current certainty. Best of luck.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate.

Keep us posted!
Spot on

Take note of this especially the inflating your scores to make yourself look better on here as you will only be cheating yourself! There’s no shame in having bad scores as you can always improve but as John has said be honest with yourself and how well your doing as I’m sure there’s people on this site who pump there scores up no doubt!! You will get better with time just stick with it!
Alright cheers, I'm 80kg at 180cm, with my running I haven't done 2 1.5 miles in a while since I joined a running club and being doing 5ks there which I've got down from barely running a mile to doing 5k in 30 mins. Press ups I normally max out around 28-32 and sit ups I don't have an exact number as I can keep going for a long time but I can't keep up with the beep when doing the tests.
That’s a good weight!

How often do you run per week and what sort of total mileage would you say you do?

Just base your training around the 3 miler (bft) , 1.5 miler (quick time) and just get used to doing the body weight exercises to keep improving on them so press/sit/pull-ups and always the beep!
Get used to doing burpees and the plank also.

Ive only recently started doing stuff to get used to the vPJFT and what I’ve done is the same format but less reps of the exercise so the body will get used to doing them after each other if that makes sense?
Therese no point trying to do the real thing if you struggle with 20 press-ups or a 30 second plank etc.
Start from the bottom do the test but half the reps and see how you do and how many sets you can do until failure once your body weight exercises are getting better up the reps in the vPJFT.

Itl give you confidence if you can do the full 3 sets and you can keep progressing even if less reps.
It’s like telling someone to run under 10 minutes 1.5 miler but they can’t run that far let alone that fast make sense?

So something like this..

10x burpees
10x sit-ups
10x press-ups
30 second plank

See if you can do 3 sets to the correct audio tape for the vPJFT if you can’t then keep working at it for few weeks if you can do it all correctly then up the reps and keep going from there

Canadian1995

Reaction score
Hey bud,

I posted something similar to this about a month ago. I stopped doing the vPJFT and started doing failure sets.
For example:
-push-ups to failure ( on the beep )
- 15 second rest
-push-ups to failure ( on beep )
- 15 second rest
On the third set if you’re truly going to failure you should only be able to do 3-4 push-ups. At this time either take 2 minutes rest or so a different workout with the same cadence. Do this for push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups. Practice burpees with the best form you can and get your miles in.
This worked for me. I have my vPJFT on Monday and feeling very confident!
Best of luck bud! You’ll smash it!