vPJFT+ is NOT the standard!

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Potential Marines on this forum, here is some key information I am going to try and get across to help you all.

Yes, the vPJFT+ is the only physical hurdle you have to pass prior to joining the Recruit Orientation Phase of RM Training.

However, do NOT be fooled into thinking that if you can pass an easy (yes, it is easy) bodyweight circuit in the comfort of your own home on zoom, then that is you achieved the standard of a Potential RM and that you are fully prepared and ready for the rigours of CTCRM.

You WILL be asked at your interview and on your vPJFT your standard of running, swimming and pull ups. If you lie on these questions the truth will be apparent at CTCRM when you either fail the swimming test, get declared NFA Med because your feet or shins are hanging out because you're not conditioned to running, or you will fail the RMFA on pull ups. All of these hypothetic scenarios resulting in the same thing. ROP failure, sent home, civvie street.

Don't just train to pass a zoom or skype circuit. You need to train as if you are preparing for the worlds longest and hardest infantry basic training course. Get the miles in your legs regardless of the time of day or weather, gym closed due to covid? Do pull ups on the monkey bars at a local park. Swimming pool closed due to COVID? Find somewhere else to swim (safely).

Do not think that you are the exception and that you'll just get good at running, swimming and pull ups on the ROP.

I promise you, if you are not getting the miles in your legs and you're not finding alternative ways to ensure your pull ups and swimming are at an acceptable standard, you are not suitable for the Royal Marines.

@arny01 posted a great training plan that is stickied on the training programmes sub-forum. Follow that as best you can and you won't go far wrong. Motivate yourselves and work hard!

Eastonpledge

Reaction score
What does the NFA mean?
Not sure but it may mean not f@ck@ng able, also to add with the current time between VPJFT and possible ROP starts, there is no excuse to turn up without putting in the hours needed, I am currently in the app process and I am making sure I get as physically and mentally fit as possible

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not Finally Approved Med is a discharge category.
For example, it can be applied to someone who is diagnosed within the first fifty-six days of service as having a pre-existing, non-disclosed injury.
That's why I tell people not to lie on there medicals just to get In to training.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Potential Marines on this forum, here is some key information I am going to try and get across to help you all.

Yes, the vPJFT+ is the only physical hurdle you have to pass prior to joining the Recruit Orientation Phase of RM Training.

However, do NOT be fooled into thinking that if you can pass an easy (yes, it is easy) bodyweight circuit in the comfort of your own home on zoom, then that is you achieved the standard of a Potential RM and that you are fully prepared and ready for the rigours of CTCRM.

You WILL be asked at your interview and on your vPJFT your standard of running, swimming and pull ups. If you lie on these questions the truth will be apparent at CTCRM when you either fail the swimming test, get declared NFA Med because your feet or shins are hanging out because you're not conditioned to running, or you will fail the RMFA on pull ups. All of these hypothetic scenarios resulting in the same thing. ROP failure, sent home, civvie street.

Don't just train to pass a zoom or skype circuit. You need to train as if you are preparing for the worlds longest and hardest infantry basic training course. Get the miles in your legs regardless of the time of day or weather, gym closed due to covid? Do pull ups on the monkey bars at a local park. Swimming pool closed due to COVID? Find somewhere else to swim (safely).

Do not think that you are the exception and that you'll just get good at running, swimming and pull ups on the ROP.

I promise you, if you are not getting the miles in your legs and you're not finding alternative ways to ensure your pull ups and swimming are at an acceptable standard, you are not suitable for the Royal Marines.

@arny01 posted a great training plan that is stickied on the training programmes sub-forum. Follow that as best you can and you won't go far wrong. Motivate yourselves and work hard!
Good post, if there's a will, there's a way.

IT PAYS TO BE A WINNER!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
This is absolutely spot on mate. Well said.

Alot of people forget what it is they're trying to join

Nature's Wish

Reaction score

I've passed PJFT and it's not as easy as you imply here. That's with me maxing out sit-ups, getting at least forty push-ups, ten pull-ups and a sub 8:30 1.5 mile run the last time I recorded.
It's not perfect but I'd wager it's above average. I'm at least eighty kilogrammes too, haven't measured in a while, and my training schedule has been nothing like "arny's". Though that's not to say my training hasn't been intense at times because it certainly has.
If you're like me and want to stay sane during monotonous workouts I say vary your workouts on a weekly or fortnightly basis. If you don't care and just want to do a tough regime then by all means do arny's and be wary for injury. Not everyone gets the same nutrition nor will recover the same and if you ask me ideally you'll make up your own workout based on what you've learned from others and mix them up if it becomes stale.

As a closing sentiment, if you are suffering musco-skeletal leg injuries from running and it isn't simply muscle soreness, I recommend looking into barefoot or minimalist trainers. You want a wide toe box, zero drop (no raised/cushioned heel), flexibility and minimal general cushioning on the bottom of your shoe (depends on your experience but try to get as low as possible and build up for unpredictable terrain such as trails if needed). Basically, freedom for your feet that could help a lot. Don't rush into it though and remember you want to be running on your forefoot and have the correct form/technique associated with it (such as your feet landing beneath your centre of mass).
Feel free to as questions and don't just take my word for it. There's a lot of information out there.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've passed PJFT and it's not as easy as you imply here. That's with me maxing out sit-ups, getting at least forty push-ups, ten pull-ups and a sub 8:30 1.5 mile run the last time I recorded.
It's not perfect but I'd wager it's above average. I'm at least eighty kilogrammes too, haven't measured in a while, and my training schedule has been nothing like "arny's". Though that's not to say my training hasn't been intense at times because it certainly has.
If you're like me and want to stay sane during monotonous workouts I say vary your workouts on a weekly or fortnightly basis. If you don't care and just want to do a tough regime then by all means do arny's and be wary for injury. Not everyone gets the same nutrition nor will recover the same and if you ask me ideally you'll make up your own workout based on what you've learned from others and mix them up if it becomes stale.

As a closing sentiment, if you are suffering musco-skeletal leg injuries from running and it isn't simply muscle soreness, I recommend looking into barefoot or minimalist trainers. You want a wide toe box, zero drop (no raised/cushioned heel), flexibility and minimal general cushioning on the bottom of your shoe (depends on your experience but try to get as low as possible and build up for unpredictable terrain such as trails if needed). Basically, freedom for your feet that could help a lot. Don't rush into it though and remember you want to be running on your forefoot and have the correct form/technique associated with it (such as your feet landing beneath your centre of mass).
Feel free to as questions and don't just take my word for it. There's a lot of information out there.

I don't want to get all big time and get absolutely slaughtered for piping up but I will say having done PRMC back in the day and subsequently gotten through a good chunk of RT, and now having done vPJFT to rejoin, it really is an easy circuit and is 10x easier than almost anything at Lympstone and any of the old application process. So much so that I use it as a warm-up for most of my circuits/strength sessions.

I've been fed stories from lads at Lympstone, nods and trained ranks alike, of quite a lot of people turning up for ROP assuming vPJFT is 'the' standard and very quickly getting their chits in or failing when they realise how far behind the curve they are.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I did a post about VPJFT last year. Out of curiousity I gave it a crack with no specific training for it. Surprisingly trained ranks wont always be smashing just press ups and sit ups like you guys are, and it wasn't hard. As has been said above, it is absolutely nothing compared to what you'll do down there. It also doesn't include any kind of test for someone's running ability.

I would still advise people to stick to the old school prep. Dont go down unless you can crack 45 press ups, 60 sit ups, 10 pull ups and a sub 9:30 1.5 mile run as an absolute bear minimum.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
I don't want to get all big time and get absolutely slaughtered for piping up but I will say having done PRMC back in the day and subsequently gotten through a good chunk of RT, and now having done vPJFT to rejoin, it really is an easy circuit and is 10x easier than almost anything at Lympstone and any of the old application process. So much so that I use it as a warm-up for most of my circuits/strength sessions.

I've been fed stories from lads at Lympstone, nods and trained ranks alike, of quite a lot of people turning up for ROP assuming vPJFT is 'the' standard and very quickly getting their chits in or failing when they realise how far behind the curve they are.
Well for what it's worth I'll say the vPJFT is more difficult than the previous treadmill test they had you do, personally speaking. I think they are equivalent. PRMC wise the equivalent is ROP lest I'm mistaken but you get paid.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Agreed. Got some the other day, and my average speed had increased.
Glad to hear it mate. I'm starting out so not too experienced yet but it's supposed to be more enjoyable as well as less effort for a better result. Gravitational torque I've heard it described.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear it mate. I'm starting out so not too experienced yet but it's supposed to be more enjoyable as well as less effort for a better result. Gravitational torque I've heard it described.

I think it's better for flat feet, too. One of he things I noticed, though, was that my calfs hurt like hell from it.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
I think it's better for flat feet, too. One of he things I noticed, though, was that my calfs hurt like hell from it.
Same with me. Its normal and is your calves absorbing the impact instead of your knees. Your calves will only get stronger though and it will become easier.
Flat feet, I've read barefoot running or running with minimalist shoes with no arch support, raised heels and so on, can actually give that person's foot an arch overtime as your foot builds up in strength.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The vPJFT is definitely as easy as I imply. There is absolutely no comparison between PRMC and the ROP.

You are mistaken, the ROP does not act as an equivalent of PRMC. The only reason PRMC has halted is due to COVID-19. The ROP has been put in place to replace the foundation phase of training, hence the name Recruit Orientation Phase.

When COVID is no longer an issue PRMC will return and ROP will also remain. In the meantime, lads/ladies currently have an easy way into CTCRM and that is an absolute fact no matter which way you look at it. The purpose of this post is to ensure that people are performing well above the physical standard of vPJFT before arriving at CTCRM otherwise they are setting themselves up to fail. A vPJFT pass fitness standard is not enough.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Off topic sorry

I am a big supporter of zero drop shoes (I use Altra Escalante 2.0 and highly recommend it!!! Just pre-ordered the new Lone Peak 5 yesterday, has the same awesome midsole) but guys if you are new to running with zero drop especially in a shoe without a nice midsole like Merrells do not run the same distances as you were before. You really need to take it slowly and build up your miles from scratch!! I have Vivobarefoot as well but I still don’t like running in them, awesome for anything else and walking.

I also recommend to do Ben Patrick’s Knee Ability Zero programme for strengthening your calves and anterior shins along with the knees obviously. I managed to get his whole programme and saved it:

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate, completely irrelevant to the thread. Try keep it in a relevant thread or create a new one.
Just replied to the ones above, I hope they get a fair warning to ;)

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The ROP are required to prove a negative test within 24 hours of arrival then they are immediately isolated and put in bubbles. They are also tested several times per week.

If a PRMC had the same or similar measures put in place I'd argue it would be just as safe. However I would speculate that the main issue with PRMC at the moment would be hundreds of civilians travelling from all over the country both to and from CTCRM on public transport.